The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When flying into airports in other cities, do you reserve a rental car or check out prices at the counter?

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I'm usually on biz travel. A couple extra bucks isn't as important as getting to my appointment/meeting. Thus, I usually reserve ahead, do the Hertz Gold thing - name w/ stall number posted as you get off the shuttle bus, go to the car, get in, drive to the exit.

Pay more, but convienent. Avis & National have similar services.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I always reserve ahead of time. I HATE uncertainty. I use Avis for my business travel. I'm Avis Preferred Select... so it works great. I make the reservation, then I go directly to the Avis Select board to see what stall number my car is in (no lines, no counters), the I get into my car and drive away. The prices are actually better than what I would have gotten at the counter and I get automatic upgrades when they're available. Well worth it IMHO.

Bob

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Randy Chase said:
When flying into airports in other cities, do you reserve a rental car or check out prices at the counter?
Randy - Reserve, reserve, reserve!

I flew into Miami last October, expecting to rent a car for a little diving down the Keys. Imagine my surprise when I was told by 4 major rental agencies in succession that all cars in the Greater Miami Metropolitan Area were unavailable. School was of course back in session, no major sporting events. Turned out a few big ass conventions in town cleaned out the inventory. Amazing.

After that, I will always reserve ahead. Doesn't mean it will ever happen to you, but if it happened for a market that size, I figure all bets are off. Also, you can often get better rates online. Get to the counter with few choices, and the desk clerk has no incentive to give you a break on the fees.

Mike

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well, I'm the ugly customer. I reserve, then, when I get there, I check out the competition. Sometimes I stick with my reservation, and sometimes I cancel it and take a cheaper alternative. Having said that, avoid the no-name-o's at all costs. They WILL get you in the end with forced add-on charges.

Best bets: Enterprise, Hertz, Avis.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts