The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing what Lotus people are using to haul their cars to events.
I need something short that can fit in a 18' garage with the car still on it.
any advice would be nice
Thinking of pulling it with a V8 Toyota 4Runner.
thanks

·
Registered
658 Posts
14' featherlite (model 3110) might barely fit in the garage. tongue is probably 3' and change. short wheelbase car like an elise/exige will fit on it, but you might have problems getting the weight distribution correct, as you won't have much wiggle room to move the car front/back.

no problems pulling it with a 4runner.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
14' featherlite (model 3110)

Same one I was going to get when I was looking at trailers. A great choice, I thought....although not cheap, it would have been worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Nothing like a Trailex. Trailex Manufacturing and Trailer Sales

Best trailers I have ever used and they will fit in th garage. I had a 16 foot open and then I bought a 24 foot enclosed. All anodized aluminum. Very light.

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you guys think a 14' would be too short?
will I be able to tie the wheels down?
If anyone is using a 14', please let me know
thanks

·
Vendor
3,562 Posts
You will have some issues with the ratchet straps needing some room to click. You can cross the straps in the back. I think you can make it work one way or another.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
So you guys think a 14' would be too short?
will I be able to tie the wheels down?
If anyone is using a 14', please let me know
thanks
I opted for a 17 foot. It's a little big, but I'm glad for the extra room. I've hauled tires as well as the car a time or two and I didn't want to have to sell it if my next track toy was a smidgen larger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trailer

If you plan on storing the trailer inside a garage, then the height of the trailer will be more of a problem than the length.

Most enclosed trailers are about 8' high, which is higher than the normal garage door opening.

You might look at the "low hauler" type of trailer, normally designed for motorcycles. I picked up a 7' x 14' Haulmark a while back and it fits my Lotus 7 clone perfectly, can't speak for the cars of the modern Lotus family.

Like everything in life, there are advantages and disadvantages to an enclosed trailer. If your plans call for more than a one day tow, they offer weather protection, a level of security and storage for "car bits". The downside is the weight, additional gas use (normally), and storage considerations.

Good luck.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.