The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I just did a search on my phone and had no luck... And I'm in the middle of washing my car. So can anyone help? How do I get dead bugs off my car? I took a road trip and killed an entire generation of Mosquitos and Gnats and I can't tell if it's alright to just scrub them off lol I tried leaving soap on them and the guys just won't come off.

Is it ok to scrub? Or is there some super cleaning solution I should get? Thanks in advance! I just want to protect the paint :p

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Hey all. I just did a search on my phone and had no luck... And I'm in the middle of washing my car. So can anyone help? How do I get dead bugs off my car? I took a road trip and killed an entire generation of Mosquitos and Gnats and I can't tell if it's alright to just scrub them off lol I tried leaving soap on them and the guys just won't come off.

Is it ok to scrub? Or is there some super cleaning solution I should get? Thanks in advance! I just want to protect the paint :p

MURDERER!!!! :D

You can get special bug cleaning chemical sprays at auto stores. I'm sure someone can chime in with better advise than me, but fwiw:

- Soak the bastards really well before you try scrubbing them off.
- Keep a really good coat or coats of wax on the areas that are susceptible to bugs (front clam, mirrors, etc.)

I'm not sure if anyone's ever tried Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on bugs, but that stuff works great on for many other applications.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nvm I remembered the starshield and just did it carefully. I didn't think it would be on the mirrors too, but someone was thinking when they created starshield. :D

Someone can close this or delete it or something. I'll give it a try when I get back to my computer, but it may take someone with superpowers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
use old newspapers on the affected areas. Spray with water to keep the newspaper damp/wet. Take off the paper after about 20 mins and the bugs will come off easily. If you don't want to mess with the paper you could also try with shaving cream (no joke)...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Shaving cream? NEWSPAPER?? You are stepping on my detailers heart...

Spray. Wash. Then wash with the soap added directly on your sponge. Use some more pressure.
Not gone? Use some wax or a mild polisher.

Newspaper....We have left the sixties!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
686 Posts
Moltov Cocktail!! Hell you'll probably even get a new car!

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,748 Posts
What ever happened to using soap and water like normal?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Most importantly............and listen very carefully............GET THE BUGS OFF YOUR CAR ASAP.

As soon as I get home from driving, I'll take a wet microfiber towel and wipe any new bugs off. If that seems anal, fine but leaving smashed bugs on your car will only make them difficult to remove later. Just take three minutes and wipe the bugs off after every drive.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts

Nydus, don't scrub your paint. Been there long ago. Trust me you don't wanna go there. I can guarantee you will have swirl marks :wallbang:

BTW, there's a specific product for this problem that I've come across - Meguiar's Bug Splatter Sponges. Apparently it's formulated to dissolve dried bug guts and wipe away safely.

I have a box but haven't gotten around to reviewing it yet.. My car has been clean since getting the box. Maybe this will motivate me to go on an extended drive through Malibu canyon this weekend ;)

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Wow Squid. Malibu Canyon, huh? That's a tough job but I'm sure you're just doing it for the betterment of this Lotus community. Let us know how that Mequir's bug scrub works. Bugs are my mortal enemy when it comes to trying to keep my car looking good.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
My 4500psi pressure washer takes them all off pretty easily :nanner:
Good God I can only imagine the front of your car during the Alaskan mosquito hatch. I rented a car one time for a round-trip from Fairbanks to Denali. By the time I got back to Fairbanks it was literally covered.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
I know bugs well, especially love bugs with toxic guts that we have down here......A hot towel with soap and water, let it soak. Soaking it will loosen it up, then you can wipe them off as opposed to scrubbing. Just be patient. I tried a belt sander once and it didn't work out to well............

·
Registered
208 Posts
Gunpilot: FINALLY SOME sense. Supercheap and best solution.

Can't say it enough - i f#cked up enough as a detailer. It's patience, a wet towel/microfiber cloth and some soap.

Especially on a plastic car...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Good God I can only imagine the front of your car during the Alaskan mosquito hatch. I rented a car one time for a round-trip from Fairbanks to Denali. By the time I got back to Fairbanks it was literally covered.
Dunno, just use my car to race, it's not registered for the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts