The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had seen this issue mentioned before, but I think deserves a full warning.

DO NOT WASH YOU CAR ON AN INCLINE!!!

I washed my car on my driveway, which has a pretty good incline. When I looked in my trunk later, everything was wet.... radio box, top, hardtop bag. I removed the carpet and closed cell foam padding and there was about a 1/2 inch of water... well at least 1/4 inch on average. It took 4 towels to get all the water out!

OK, you are warned.

The surprise was a spare connector on the wiring to the tail lights in the back. A picture is attached. Any ideas on what it is for? Does the UK car have another light in back? The top of the picture is the back of the car.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nose up. I may try it nose down, but that was a lot of water... so I will empty my trunk first!

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I place a folded up beach towel on top on the engine when I was the car so water cant get in through the rear louvres and get everything all wet. Just remember to remove it before starting the car.

I have also noticed that after washing the car and opening the doors, water comes out of the door drain that is in the fromt of each door. Guess we are going to have to make sure it doesnt get clogged or else the door will fill up with water too.

I saw that electrical connection too and have no idea of what its for. Maybe its for a rear light connection that is only used in the UK, or a power source for a trunk mounted cd player?

Anybody have one of those test lights that electricians use to see if the juice is running to it all the time, or only when reverse, stop, or other lights are put on?

I think in Europe all cars have to have rear fog lights, on ours we have the rear oval lights next to the license plate instead, maybe it could be for that instead:confused:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
British cars use a diff setup for the taillights. Speculation is it's one of the turn signal wires.

·
Registered
394 Posts
pinmagic said:
British cars use a diff setup for the taillights. Speculation is it's one of the turn signal wires.
I think its for the rear foglights reuired by law in the uk..

Adam P

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ancient Wedgie said:
Are you suggesting to never drive up-hill while it is raining?:confused:
Yes in a rain storm you'll need to drive backwards up hill.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&postid=92405

Dan said:
I gave my Elise her first wash today. Consequently, I finally put the top on. I parked the car pointing down the driveway; I didn't have any water overflowing into the trunk. No leaks from the top either. :)

It didn't really hit me till now that this car has lots and lots of nooks and crannies. Washing/drying the car is very time consuming, despite the small size. I think next time I'll try air drying by driving the car. :p At least that method is fun!

·
Registered
57 Posts
This has happened to a number of people and has been addressed in the past...the drain holes for the water are located higher up the drainage channel for the trunk and can become overwhelmed with water on an incline. You need to wash the car with the nose pointed down. The water will then drain somewhat correctly. You will still get little drops of water in the trunk but not the pool of water you and I have now both experienced! Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I wash my car in the driveway with the nose slightly pointing up and have never had even one drop of water in the trunk.

I do cover the motor with a plastic garbage bag......which doesn't really affect the trunk anyway.

I never spray heavily into any of the vent openings. Just a fine spray at the vent openings is a sufficient rinse, IMO.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
pinmagic said:
i hope so. it would make the job of adding the amber easier. From the pic, the small size of the connector looks like it might actually be for the amber.

Was there only one loose connector?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Ancient Wedgie said:
Huggy. Unless you're encouraging plagiarism, you should edit this last post . The URL you linked to would have each reader post Dan's comment as their own. :no: :)
Actually, it would have us quote Dan. I think he was quoting dan and meant to post a link to another thread at the same time, but instead copied the url from his post (in which he quoted dan) into his post. Unintentional recursive quoting. :p No harm, no foul. ;)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
No problems washing the car on a level surface either. I believe the spare wire is the rear fog light which is required in the UK,,,, I think?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Racer X said:
The surprise was a spare connector on the wiring to the tail lights in the back. A picture is attached. Any ideas on what it is for?.

Greg
I believe that would be for Randy's trailer hitch.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
shay2nak said:
i hope so. it would make the job of adding the amber easier. From the pic, the small size of the connector looks like it might actually be for the amber.

Was there only one loose connector?
Only one loose connector... right in the center. The wire is light, I would not expect it to be for anything with much current draw.

Greg

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
As was mentioned it might be for rear fogs. I can tell you for sure if you describe the exact wire colors (base and stripe)...I can't quite make them out in the PIC.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is a SAAB connector and has provisions for 3 wires, but uses only two. The wires are (1)Black, and (2)Purple/Green lengthwise stripe. It is a light gauge 16-24, maybe.

Greg

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>It is a SAAB connector and has provisions for 3 wires, but uses only two. The wires are (1)Black, and (2)Purple/Green lengthwise stripe. It is a light gauge 16-24, maybe.<<<

Hmm, I'll have to yank my carpet/foam and have a look-see-test.

On the wiring diagram the rear fog lights are designated to use red/yellow wires and a black ground.

Green/Purple is used for the stop lamps and black would be the ground there too as that is the general code for that function. Our CHMSL (center brake light) is fed with a green/purple cable with a 0.5 mm wire diameter.

I'll check and see what the wire does when the stop lights come on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts