The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my car @Maplecrest,in NJ.on 8/6 It was weighed with 1/8 tank of [email protected]!!!!!Suprised me. At first the LSS was actually painful,but after 8-900miles it has softened quite a bit. The fresh air vents blow hot air,the AC is marginal at best,the central locking is not what one would expect. Im 5'8,260---entry and egress is fine without the top. With the top fitted it is not a pretty sight. The plastic "pocket-glovebox?" that is fitted between the seats will hold a pack of cigarettes and a small cell phone. My car also has the touring option,and the"map"pouch between the seats actually quintuples secure storage space!!!!!!. The radio can best be described as grim---I am hoping,since the car was slated for April del,that the radio was a bad April fools joke. Im not an audiophile any more,but this is the upgraded radio and did cost extra...............Nevertheless I LOVE THIS CAR - all superlatives apply. Maplecrest's delivery was as seamless as it could be,considering they are a Lincoln dealer. Courteous and polite. By the way they have received 4 cars as of today,8/11/04.:clap:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The weight is close to earlier estimations.

1930 with LSS
Add ~12 pounds for Touring.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
they delivered the car to you with the fuel tank only 1/8th full? That sucks. I thought they're supposed to fill it all the way. :confused:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
lwein,
YOu might want to have your dealer check your A/C. Im sure you DID press the A/C button next to the fan? also a/c doesn't run unless fan is on.

Reason I mention this is the a/c in my car is exc. in mid high 90s temp still very cool, so perhaps your's isn't working correctly.
Chris

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
lwein said:
The radio can best be described as grim---I am hoping,since the car was slated for April del,that the radio was a bad April fools joke. Im not an audiophile any more,but this is the upgraded radio and did cost extra...............Nevertheless I LOVE THIS CAR
I don't think the problem is the radio/head unit as the model we have is pretty good. The real problem is two fold:

1. The plastic molding where the rear speakers are mounted seems to vibrate if you increase the bass. Not sure what to do for this... maybe some Dynamat type material could fix this.

2. The Stock speakers do not have very good bass response. I will likely replace the rears with more bass bias speakers. I'll keep the fronts as I don't want too much bass. I just want to even out the sound.

More details can be found here. I think many here will want to upgrade their speakers once they actually get their car and have a chance to play with the current setup.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I have found that if one removes the speakers and the radio from the car the problem with the bass vibration will be completley fixed....rotfl rotfl rotfl

·
Registered
168 Posts
I really hope you are right about the LSS softening up. My A/C is great and I agree that the radio does suck.
My steering wheel is off center and I'm hearing a leak of wind noise through the driver side window also.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Ring,
They can adjust how high the windows go up at your first service.

You could probably find someone who'll swap out for a standard suspension plus cash if you really don't like the LSS. It only takes a few hours to do. Watched them do it at LCU for the Barber launch cars.
Chris

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
ringmeister said:
I agree that the radio does suck.
Plastic car. No ground plane. Bad for antenna efficiency.

My steering wheel is off center
Ah.. Good to know that Lotus is still delivering cars like they usually do ;)

Mine was hugely off-center when I got it..

and I'm hearing a leak of wind noise through the driver side window also.
OK.. That does it! :huh: :huh: The fed-Elise is now officially waaaaay too quiet! :no: :no: If you can hear air leaks around the door you *definitely* need a good sports exhaust and simply drown out all of these 'distracting' noises :D :D :D

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Ring, other thing about the air leak, with new seals you might try raising the window with the door open THEN close the door, often the new seals make it tough for the windows to go all the way up.
Chris

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm going to give the LSS some more time before I scrap/trade it. It's good to know the option exists to soften it up.

I think the car is too quiet, I don't know how the exhaust sounds to passers by but inside the car it's too soft for me. Anyone with impressions of stage 1 or stage 2?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
ringmeister said:
I'm going to give the LSS some more time before I scrap/trade it. It's good to know the option exists to soften it up.

I think the car is too quiet, I don't know how the exhaust sounds to passers by but inside the car it's too soft for me. Anyone with impressions of stage 1 or stage 2?

Ring, please let us know how you make out with LSS in the next few weeks. Yeh our roads up here in the North East just suck!!!

LSS may very well be too stiff for our crapy NE roads.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
ringmeister said:
I really hope you are right about the LSS softening up.
This was just one of the reasons I opted out of LSS. Grounding / bottoming out is another one. As I recall the LSS suspension cannot be adjusted for dampening. If you live where roads are not perfect and drive the car on the road then you will find the street setup is more livable than the track setup (LSS).

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>LSS may very well be too stiff for our crapy NE roads. <<<

Some of those roads seem to be too harsh for just about anything sporty.

Also, don't forget the LSS comes with tires with stiff sidewalls. So on top of the 10% spring rate change (minimal ride effect there) and firmer dampers (probably the most noticeable change from a hard part) the tires make a significant difference too. Food for thought for some, perhaps.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
lwein said:
The radio can best be described as grim---I am hoping,since the car was slated for April del,that the radio was a bad April fools joke. Im not an audiophile any more,but this is the upgraded radio and did cost extra................:clap:
A crappy stereo is how you know you got a supercar! Check out Porsches, Ferraris, they have crappy radios just like the Liz, they use Becker and we got Blaupnkt, two brothers i'm certain! :p

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
One of the cars delivered to our dealership had no freon in it. Have yours checked. Maybe it is a leak.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

When the car was delivered,it did have a full tank of fuel-----I have driven it 850 miles in a few days-=-I will check out the freon situation,thanks. By the way,LSS owners,this may sound stupid,but check your tire pressures-------F=24or26,R=28or30,all cold. In a light car this is crucial,and most dealers have no experience with this,they just pump 'em up to 30 or 35. Don't assume they are correct--------I think the pressures are in the manual. I do appreciate all the feedback---------------------Also,I have a 2004 e55 which had many more problems than any Elise! And yes,I put the AC compressor button on.It has been my impression that Maplecrest and Lotus are trying their best.........Cheers,lwein

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
lwein,
The tire pressures are also listed on a sticker on the drivers side door sill.(where the door latch mechanism is in the body,
Chris

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you feel your car bouncing a lot, feeling skittish like it's going to go off sideways somewhere, check your pressures. On mine the fronts are meant to be 23psi, the rears 28psi (not much different from the fed settings).

When I checked, my local tyre place had set them up with 38psi and 35 psi on the front, and 33psi at the rear. Taking the pressure out stopped the tyres from being so hard, allowing the sidewalls to do their job of handling lots of the high frequency bumps = made the car much more stable.

I know this might sound like a crock of sh1t but I can tell when any of my tyres is out by about 2 psi or more. The car really does feel different when that's the case.

Craigy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts