The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm hoping for some help. I've been trying to diagnose this problem for a while. The nearest dealer is like 6 hrs away, so that's not an option.

The problem is the car won't start. The starter is very slow to crank like probably 5 sec between cranks (sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology).

Here's what I've done so far to try to fix it:

Replaced the battery
Replaced the mfru
Replaced the start button
Replaced the starter
Checked all fuses
Disabled the immobilizer
According to the multimeter I am getting 12v+ at the starter.
Swapped ecu's ( tried both the stock and a standalone)
I probably have done more but am not thinking of it at the moment

I'm stumped lol any thoughts or suggestions , any would be greatly appreciated ? I'd hate to have an expensive paperweight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
This is a long shot, but have you tried to take the spark plugs out, and see if the engine cranks any better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't . I'll try that in the morning , just the plugs ? and leave the coils in correct ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I haven't . I'll try that in the morning , just the plugs ? and leave the coils in correct ? Thank you

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Yes, pull the spark plugs out, and the pull the fuse for ignition, fuse # 7 in the picture.

Toyota Elise S2 Engine Fuses
Fuses and relays associated with the engine management system are contained in two 4-position fuse holders located at the front of the engine bay on the cabin bulkhead, adjacent to the engine ECM. To access the fuses, unclip rear edge of the cover.

Engine Fuses

No code has to be inserted here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do , thank you so much for the suggestion and taking the time to send the explanation!

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
If it continues to turn over slowly, check the ground strap from the engine to the chassis. Simple way is to run a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to the engine block

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
+1 for ground strap! A loose or corroded connection can cause a myriad of issues.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you !!!!! It turned out to be the ground strap. I was losing hope , I feel like an idiot . But am so happy!!!! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I’m impressed. Nice fix Exigegus!

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Glad it worked out Dan! Now you can sell all those extra parts! Or keep them when they eventually fail.Frustrating to the last when you realize it was a simple thing. Been there and feel your pain. I added another ground strap to chassis at driver motor mount.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts