The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been driving the car for about 2 weeks now after winter storage. During storage my battery died so I trickled charged it and everything worked out fine until tonight. I armed the car before I went for a coffee and when I came back out the car wouldn't start (Approx 30 minutes). I've been driving the car for a bout 2 weeks after charging the battery and I thinking it couldn't have been a battery issue again. I was extremely puzzled by this, all the electrical components were working with no hesitation IE. Headlights, CD deck, Brake Lights, and everything else. The car wasn't even reacting when I was trying to start it, just dead silence, the solenoid didn't even make the "tat tat tat tat" sound. There was nothing I could have done to make the car start so I resorted to push starting the car and it turned. After arriving home, I checked all the fuses and they are all intact, I still don't have a solution? Car won't start AGAIN! I'm thinking it could be an alarm / immobilizer issue, anyone have any input?

Thanks!

·
Registered
532 Posts
You didn't have a brain fart where you tried to start the car by turning the key instead of pushing the start button, did you? rotfl

The same thing happened to me once. I came out of a store and it wouldn't start, however I just waited about 10 minutes after reading a bunch of stuff in the owners manual about the alarm and tried again and then it started. I don't know why. Sorry I couldn't be more help. :shrug:

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
If it were the alarm, you wouldn't be able to push start it, right? I'd say the battery. Or charging system. I think I'd try jump starting it before I tried push starting it!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TheViper - Thanks for the pointer, great write up btw.

Agirls - I didn't have a choice about push starting it, I was about an hour away from home around 4AM in a small town.

I'll check the battery today but I really doubt its battery related. Thanks for the quick help guys!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It must be the battery.
never mind that everything is working maybe there is not enough power to start the engine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: I've tried trickle charging the battery and it definitely isn't battery related. I've checked all the related fuses and they are all fine as well. No I'm wondering what it can be?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
The inertia switch only disconnects the fuel pump, the starter would still work. If it is the immobilizer, there would "probably" be the flashing security light in the tachometer. In any case, push or jump starting would not work. How do you know it's not the battery? The other possibility is a defective start button, (or fuse F13). If you can jump it, it's not the start button.
Michael
it may be the Inertia Switch - I would check that as a simple possibility.

·
Anthony
604 Posts
.......... all the electrical components were working with no hesitation IE. Headlights, CD deck, Brake Lights, and everything else. The car wasn't even reacting when I was trying to start it, just dead silence, the solenoid didn't even make the "tat tat tat tat" sound. ....... anyone have any input? Thanks!
You can have all of those factors present, but if you have a dead cell or shorting cell the car won't start. It can even read 12+ and have a DEAD/SHORTING CELL= NO STARTUM UP!

·
Anthony
604 Posts
Actually, not true ;) If there is a "shorted" cell, the voltage will be 10.5V.Michael

It's true!
:p Read carefully, I said, "shorting"---it happened to me.

"Shorted" in your context would mean fixed/non-changing.

Mine was changing. Everything was fine until a bump or imperfection in the road. The cell would go bonkers---I'd stop to check and it was fine. Therefore the cell was "shorting" since at rest/stop I was getting normal readings. This was confirmed by a mechanic who wrenches for a racing team. He said it's pretty common with a regular battery and that's why they use trick batteries on his team. Racing= Vibrations.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Got it, thanks for pointing that out.
Michael

It's true!
:p Read carefully, I said, "shorting"---it happened to me.

"Shorted" in your context would mean fixed/non-changing.

Mine was changing. Everything was fine until a bump or imperfection in the road. The cell would go bonkers---I'd stop to check and it was fine. Therefore the cell was "shorting" since at rest/stop I was getting normal readings. This was confirmed by a mechanic who wrenches for a racing team. He said it's pretty common with a regular battery and that's why they use trick batteries on his team. Racing= Vibrations.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Trickle charging a dead battery takes a while. Also, most auto batteries don't take well to being fully discharged since they are not deep cycle batteries. Did you let the battery die and then put the trickle charger on? If yes then your battery may be kaputt.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me.
Dont know whats going on, didnt get any time to look at it. havent looked at the car for about 10+ days now.
I'll watch this thread if you find out whats up (new battery?)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts