The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this a few times recently since it's been cold. I lift up on the shifter lever to put the car in reverse & it wont go over all the way. The lever gets stuck at the top of the shifter, & I have to manually push it back down. Usuallly I can get it into reverse after fiddling with it a few times by rolling forward in 1st & double clutching into reverse. However this morning I couldn't get it to go in at all when leaving my home. I pushed the car out into the drive way & then took off to work. Made it to work 30 minutes later, pulled into parking garage & everything was fine...slipped right into reverse w/o any issue & the lever retracted on its own just fine.

Anyone else have this issue and/or know of a fix? It's just a minor inconvenience, but annoying nonetheless. I typically try to park in places where I can pull forward to get out, but that's not always possible.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,604 Posts
I have a similar issue with my Exige when it is cold, probably not your issue though. When I pull up on the reverse lockout ring something connected to that under the boot disengages and drops down, I can actually hear it if I listen close enough. Then I have to push down the reverse lockout ring and I pull up on something covered by the boot with the reverse lockout ring and it will allow me to move the shifter over to select reverse. Hard to tell from your description if your issue is similar or if you simply cannot engage reverse on the transmission side.

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
Yeah, adjust the linkage or synchros (or have the dealer adjust it). I had a very hard time downshifting into second, so my tech adjusted it. Problem fixed.....sort of. Now I sometimes have a hard time getting into reverse. :facepalm

It seems that shifting into first and then reverse seems to do the trick sometimes. Like I said on another thread.....gearbox (the weakest link in our cars).

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Sounds like you need to adjust the linkage.
+1--remote cable shifters can be quite sensitive to what seem like small adjustments.
You might also consider changing to a good quality synthetic tranny fluid. I've been running Red Line for more than 3 years, and the shifting feel is very good with little or no temperature sensitivity.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Really simple fix, known issue, on phone so I can't post it all but if you search for it, it's already on LT. Reverse collar is plastic and gets stuck or separates from other ring. Could also be shifter cables are out of whack and simply need to be adjusted, does not warrant dealership visit.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I have the same problem. The reverse collar is under the faux leather dust boot on the shifter and as GX... has stated iit can separate. In a pinch just pull it up and shift. I have found you can turn it and it will hook back up. There's a square headed bolt on it that looks like if tightened it should hold the two together. I haven't tried it yet.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FYI...Hey just a heads up, Brian the tech at Lotus of Plano Is moving out of the state, His last day is the end of Nov.. So you might want to do it sooner than later...
That sucks. I've not met him personally since the only work my car has needed is the initial service, but have heard great things about him. Hopefully his replacement will be good too.

I'll check into that shift collar issue that a few of you guys were talking about. Shifting the car into any other gear doesn't help me shift into reverse. However it has been warmer here the past few days & shifting into reverse hasn't been an issue. The weather may be coincidental, but still suspicious.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Happened to me today. Very similar to Missileman, previously had the occasional difficulty selecting reverse, lifter ring on gear stick was lifting but not doing anything. A retry and all was fine.

But today, low ambient temperature at around 30 degree F, ring was lifting but no luck in getting reverse. Tried into first, second etc etc but could not get reverse. Pushed car out of parking spot and when at home tried the wiggle the collar underneath the leather boot trick and it worked!

If it can be that easy to manipulate it seems like it needs looking at.

Certainly felt like collar issue rather than cable issue but I'm no expert on these kind of things. Gear lever was moving into the reverse position but not engaging and the lifter ring was not springing back into position and felt like no resistance / pull on it would be the best way of describing.

***BIG THANK YOU FOR THE HINT ON THE COLLAR TRICK***

·
Registered
78 Posts
My issue was just the shift collar. Fixed it with a little bit of JB Weld & all is fine now!
Thanks - sounds like you know how to remove the covering panel. I'm thinking you prise the sides where the clips are shown on the diagram as #22? Also looks like there is something not numbered down on the bottom edge where I've got the arrow? I'm reluctant to go exploring in case I break something.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts