The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting together a trip which I think will be cool and it would be great if you joined us. Right now, it is in the very preliminary planning stage, but you might want to block out some days if you want to join us. We may also have some alternate caravans since different people may have different ideas. And some people may want to arrive Wednesday night if doing the solo time trials. Others will want to arrive on Thursday. Some will want to banzai the trip via I-5 (there or back?) and others will want to enjoy the journey.

Reference info-
San Diego to Canyonville OR is 880miles and 13 hours direct. Event cocktail mixer starts at 7:30pm Thursday. Those driving in the solo time trials will need to be there Wednesday night. I intend on being there Wednesday night and staying at the La Quinta Inn up in White City Oregon. Event should be over by 2:00pm Sunday.

Again.. just thinking out loud for right now.

My plan at this point is this route-
San Diego to Redwood City to Oregon along the coastal route and redwoods. Coming back on I-5 and banzai it, with a stop again in the bay area Sunday night.

Craig is thinking of leaving San Diego on Monday, September 29th, and stopping in San Luis Obispo. So then a caravan from SLO on Tuesday AM could make sense also.

My trip-
COASTAL ROUTE NORTH Leave San Diego on Tuesday September 30th. Leave at 7:00am. Drive up I-5, then to 101 in Los Angeles and then Highway 1. Drive through Big Sur. Total trip is 548 miles and 9.5 hours. Add one hour for lunch/dinner, that would be 10.5 hours. Arrive at hotel in Redwood City on Tuesday night at 5:30pm.
from:San Diego, CA to:36.297418,-121.860352 to:Redwood City, CA - Google Maps

Wednesday Oct 1st, Leave Redwood City at 9:00am. Meet up with Craig. Drive up Highway 101 through Santa Rosa, Avenue of the Giants redwoods, eat at Somoa Cookhouse near Eureka.
from:Redwood City, CA to:40.805494,-124.156494 to:White City, OR - Google Maps
Total trip is 493 miles or 9.5 hours. Add one hour for eating that would be 10.5 hours. Arrive in White City at 7:30pm.

Thu-Fri-Sat-Sun WCLM

BANZAI HOME SOUTH Sunday, leave [email protected] Canyonville OR at 2:30pm. Drive south on I-5 to the Bay Area, near Newark/Fremont.
from: Canyonville, OR to: 37.555465,-122.044373 - Google Maps
Total trip is 448miles or 7 hours. Craig is thinking of heading down I-5 from Canyonville and going direct to Sacramento, which is 377 miles and under 6 hours. He should arrive in Sacramento about 8:30pm. Perhaps caravan together until 505 north of Sacramento and the 101 people (or just me) head west toward the bay area on I-80.

Monday Oct 6th, Leave Bay Area and drive to San Diego down 101. 511 miles, just under 9 hours. Drive south on 101 and take CA58 to Buttonwillow and I-5. This adds about an hour, now 509m and almost 9 hours. Arrive in San Diego just after 6:00pm.
from:San Diego, CA to:35.377854,-120.16571 to:US-101 N @36.461950, -121.383040 to:I-880 S @37.560840, -122.035780 - Google Maps

If leaving Sacramento, and heading south on I-5, the distance is 500 miles or 8 hours.

Total distances south routes-
I-5 direct, stop in Sacramento area. 880 miles 13hours, 23 minutes.

101 to Buttonwillow, stop in Bay Area. 958 miles, 15 hours, 34 mionutes

Alternates-
GOING TO EVENT

Yosemite-Gold Inland Route
Tuesday
Meet for breakfast at 8:00am. Leave San Diego at 9:00am. Drive thru Orange County, Los Angeles. Meet up with other groups? Drive north on I-5 and then 99. Veer off in Fresno at 41. Stop in Yosemite Valley. Trip is 423miles or 7 hours from San Diego. Should arrive in Yosemite by 4:00pm for a relaxing stop. Nice roads along 41.

Wednesday
Leave Yosemite after breakfast at Awahnee. Exit on 120 to north on the gold highway 49 thru Jamestown to Sacramento. Arrive at White City around 7:30pm. Trip is 535miles and 9 hours. Dinner in White City.

from:San Diego, CA 92120 to:CA-41/Wawona Rd @37.717700, -119.651950 to:38.345964,-120.767212 to:White City, OR - Google Maps

NAPA Winery Route
Alternate north trip, winery version.

Monday
Meet for breakfast at 8:00am. Leave San Diego at 9:00am. Drive thru Orange County, Los Angeles. Meet up with other groups? Drive north on I-5 to Napa Valley. Stay in Napa.

Tuesday
NAPA day at wineries.

Wednesday
Drive north to White City OR.

Banzai Route
Another Alternate-

Tuesday Leave San Diego. Drive to Bay Area (Redwood City). Stop Tuesday night. 502 miles or 8 hours on I-5. Leave at 7:00am. Arrive 3:00pm
If taking 101, 552 miles or 9 hours, arrive 4:00pm
If taking Highway 1, 574 miles and 10 hours. Arrive 5:00pm.

Wednesday, leave SF/Redwood City about 9:00am and drive to White City OR.
395 miles and 6 hours 15m on I-5. Arrive 3:00pm.

493 miles and 9.5hours if using 101. Arrive 6:30pm.

RETURN LEG

Coastal Route
Leaving event SUNDAY 2:00pm. Depart from Canyonville Or at 2:30pm Sunday. Drive to Eureka CA. 206m 4 hours Arrive at Samoa Cookhouse for dinner at 7:00. Drive to Ferndale CA for lodging. 20 miles, 30 minutes. Be there by 8:00pm.

MONDAY
Leave Ferndale CA after breakfast 8:00am. Drive south on 101 thru Redwoods, San Jose. Head to coast at Monterey and Carmel. Drive south thru Big Sur. 415miles, 7 hours. Dinner at Rocky Point in Big Sur about 5:00pm. South to Cambria/San Simeon/Hearst Castle. Total from Ferndale is 8 hours or 477 miles. Arrive at lodging by 7:00pm. Dinner in Cambria.

TUESDAY
Cambria to Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego. 321 m 5 hrs

from:Canyonville, OR to:40.772222,-124.156494 to:CA-1 @36.288470, -121.844300 to:San Diego, CA 92120 - Google Maps

Banzai Route
Alternate return, crazy faster route.
Leave Canyonville at 2:30pm. Drive to San Francisco. 432 miles or 7 hours on I-5. Arrive 9:00-9:30pm.
Leave SF and drive to San Diego.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Would love to do this but can't commit (to the whole WCLM); just blew my wad on the car, won't know for a while as to whether I can afford such a holiday :(

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Stop at Medford Oregon airport and pick up spouses.
Does this mean we have to be married to take this trip? Or, can you just use someone else's spouse? Heck, it's getting really tough to qualify for your events!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
My plan had the spouses renting a car in Medford, because there would not be enough room in the Elise with helmet, tools, clothes, and what ever she decided to bring.

I thought Yosemite was closed to private cars?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahhh... I was going to ask you about that Craig. In that case, forget about stopping at Medford!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'll join you guys on the return trip until the Bay Area.

BTW I dont think you can make it from Eureka to Big Sur in time for lunch - that leg alone is 415 miles.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. Adjusted.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BUMP. There has to be more people going up to WCLM from California.

Speak up, who is heading up from San Diego? Los Angeles? San Francisco area?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'll join you on the way up from the Bay Area. As for the return I haven't yet decided whether I will leave on the 5th or the 6th.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I may head up from LA, but cant commit whether i will caravan or drive up separately ... due to work schedule

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Plan on leaving early and doing some side trips. Most likely I'll join the caravan for part of the return leg.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We are not planning to attend the meet, but Ken and I would be delighted to take you/meet you for dinner the night you are near us in Redwood City. Maybe Rahul could join us all. Will likely meet you before that at Nationals. We're in SS/SSL.

Shelly

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love to meet you both, but having to skip Nationals for the first time in some years. Have fun there and do well. If you get a chance, get steak dinner at The Northstar. hard to find, but worth the trip. Crazy place.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Randy,

We'll try really hard to bring home trophies from Nationals (!!!) and make the Lotus contingent proud. Sorry to hear you'll be skipping it.

Will plan on trying to get together with you for dinner when you get to Redwood City. If you are driving along Hwy 1 in the Big Sur area (heading toward the coast around Pasa Robles?), I'd allow an extra hour of driving time, to be safe, or 1/2 hour if you are driving a Lotus not towing it. Hwy 1 is tortuous and the views are worth a few minutes of stopping and gazing.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If you are driving along Hwy 1 in the Big Sur area (heading toward the coast around Pasa Robles?), I'd allow an extra hour of driving time, to be safe, or 1/2 hour if you are driving a Lotus not towing it.
I think a Noble M400 will be a little faster than a Lotus ;)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Sign me up for the both legs of the trip. Plus I believe Rob from DietschWerks will be joining us as well.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where would be a good place to meet up on Wednesday morning in the bay area or north of it? My tentative plans have me around south SF at 9:00am Wednesday with the next stretch up 101, Avenue of the Giants. etc.

Plan on an early dinner at Samoa Cookhouse.

Then drive up the coast to White City OR

We also need a split up point, where are we headed to when we are driving south on Sunday night?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I'll be leaving a day earlier (spending the night in Eureka). Guess I'll try out, Sonoma Cookhouse.

Not sure what is the plan for the return leg- Banzai route or coastal?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Where would be a good place to meet up on Wednesday morning in the bay area or north of it? My tentative plans have me around south SF at 9:00am Wednesday with the next stretch up 101, Avenue of the Giants. etc.
I'd suggest we meet and have breakfast around 8am rather than 9. 101 traffic is usually at its worst from 8-9 and its best to avoid driving at that time. It usually is much better after 9am once the carpool lane opens up.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
There is no carpool lane on 101 north of redwood city, but do agree that 8-9:30 is the worst time to go through 92/burlinggame/millbrae... but it isn't all THAT bad

1 - 20 of 41 Posts