The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten opinions from several biz owners in the past couple of months. Just yesterday we went to two car shows...missed a third because of time. Asked lots of questions. This is just FYI.

On the 20th at Knotts, I spoke to a vendor who worked for a company that sells forced induction parts (not Lotus related). He said that his former company introduced their power adder by saying that it would be getting CARB APPROVAL. Reason? They did that to stop or delay other companies from entering the fray; they were never sincere. He said it worked for some time until he left the company and came out with his own kit. Others caught on to the farce and as the CARB threat became less realistic --- it opened the marketplace for non-CARB approved kits by smaller companies.

The point being, it costs more money to get CARB approval than many kit makers are willing to spend. He felt most of the makers are full of BS (his words) when they state they are pursuing CARB approval. He noted that none of his type of kit vendors will show postings of their applications,comunications, costs, or test results...adding veracity to his BS statement.

He said that he was toying with the idea of trying to get a group buy of 20 or 30 (in order to pay for CARB) with a small discount for the group. He felt that getting CARB would set him far ahead of his competitors. His dilemma... which kit to introduce as he had 3 available kits for varying power levels -- 2 of which he felt could pass CARB.

He asked that I not mention the kits specifically, but said that it would be easy to research.

I've gotten several opinions/heresay, but nothing as factual as this vendor's experience.

I'm not saying this scenario applies to any of the Elise kits. However, I thought it was an interesting POV.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
I would agree with many of your points. We pretested our kit last Fall which cost us several thousand dollars. It is a very expensive undertaking. We have our CARB application ready but need to retune to pass CARB. Timing is TBD.

We currently have over 100 kits ( I believe more than any other kit) running on road and track - two were running at our trackday this past monday. I'm sure with CARB we could sell even more....

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I would agree with many of your points. We pretested our kit last Fall which cost us several thousand dollars. It is a very expensive undertaking. We have our CARB application ready but need to retune to pass CARB. Timing is TBD.

We currently have over 100 kits ( I believe more than any other kit) running on road and track - two were running at our trackday this past monday. I'm sure with CARB we could sell even more....
Shinoo, i heard that CARB approval can be a very expensive/timing consuming process. Since you've done or doing the process , just curious how tedious/expensive it is to get something as simiple as an aftermarket air intake CARB approved?

I'm sure its a little simpler than getting an aftermarket supercharger kit approved, but curious how much money/time might be involved since most aftermarket air intakes are not CARB certified.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
The application is basically the same. Yes, it is time consuming and costly. Contact CARB for the application and you'll get a good view of the requirements.

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
I also agree with many of the points. We also have our pre-tested our supercharger system last fall and are working on tuning etc. Application is done. This is a busy time of year for Blackwatch so we are being pulled several different ways. Having lived in California for a number of years with modified non-CARB cars, I know that there is a segment of the population that could care less about CARB and a segment that must have it. Our goal has been to be CARB compliant and we will continue to pursue it as long as it makes financial sense.

·
Registered
528 Posts
This has been a long and frustrating topic for me. The biggest anoyance is the information void. Saying "CARB approval coming soon" is great, until it stays the same "coming soon" for more than a year. That is anoying enough but the complete lack of comunication on the subject during that time is worse.

I'll be right in line to order one of these once they come out. Its time to put those smack talking evos back in their place. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts