The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to understand CARB. How does the shop pass CARB? Just by putting the sniffing sensor in the car tail pipe and when it passes certain parameters, it's a passed, right? I read somewhere that visual inspection also determine pass or fail. OK, lets say if the shop have no clue about Lotus, and put the sniffer and it passes, does it mean the car can pass Smog?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
What CARB rules require, and what shops do are entirely different.

Its a visual test, a sniffer test on a rolling road, and a check with the computer against the CVN of the ecu.

Most places just do the sniffer, so they'll pass, if you end up at the Smog labs or in a smog shop thats on the ball, you might run into issues.

If somethings modified and they notice it, its meant to have an EO sticker on it saying its CARB approved.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Extremely unlikely. Trust me, they have access to all the resources they need to inspect/test any car.
Don't forget the shop's license (the source of all their profit in the emissions inspection game) is on the line if they commit fraud.
BTW, I think they also hook up to the OBDII port on the ECU and the data goes directly to Sacramento.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
make sure you don't have any shiny metal and/or neon colored vaccum lines, and open air filter element (unless CARB sticker on it) in the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to understand the CARB process before committing to one of the aftermarket SC. Whether it's only sniffer test, visual inspection, or even as extreme as the OBDII plug in. If it's only sniffer test, it's OK, but if it's more than that, then for those using aftermarket SC, how are they going to pass the smog?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
They do a visual lookover, sniffer test while your car is on a dyno, and plug in some cables into your OBDII port.

Type in your zip code where the car is registered on this site to get an explaination of what they're testing for:
http://smogcheck.ca.gov/ZIPAREA/ziplookup.aspx

Check here as well regarding OBDII
http://smogcheck.ca.gov/ftp/pdfdocs/obd_ii_faqs.pdf

Also, poke around the main CA Smog site to see if u can dig up any dirt:
http://smogcheck.ca.gov/stdhome.asp

Or, find a station that accepts $100 bills as payment :evil:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I want to understand the CARB process before committing to one of the aftermarket SC. Whether it's only sniffer test, visual inspection, or even as extreme as the OBDII plug in. If it's only sniffer test, it's OK, but if it's more than that, then for those using aftermarket SC, how are they going to pass the smog?
If your car is new you have 6 years before CARB. If you buy it used or bring it from out of state then it will need CARB prior to registration.

The easiest solution is to take off the SC and roll in stock.
The part that get's most owners is the visual inspection. Even though the car passes the sniffer, the inspector will most often not willingly turn a blind eye to the aftermarket parts. That being said, there are plenty that do.

Ask around your local forums and you will find a shop or two that will pass you based on your readings.

I'm a wrench turner myself.....installing and uninstalling a SC setup is all in a days work.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bring it stock is not as simple as you think. First is to take everything off, second is to reflash the ECU back to stock. This is not an option for me since I don't have time to do that. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts