The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had made several attempts to find some carbon fiber parts for the car starting with the engine covers but was having nothing but trouble getting responses plus with all the pieces I wanted done it was adding up quickly. I decided to go with Hydrographics instead for a few reasons:

The weight savings on these parts was insignificant, mostly I was doing it for cosmetics
The cost is significantly less
I could get the look I wanted which was exact body color match, which I couldn't even come close to with carbon fiber
I could 'reskin' the original interior parts and knew I wasn't going to have issues with fitment later.

I think it turned out great, I get a lot of compliments on the finished product and I feel like I have a new interior. Next is the seats. Here's some pictures to share, the guy is used is fantastic and for anyone in South Florida I'd be happy to provide his info, just PM me and tell him I sent you ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm NOT a photographer and the pics aint great and it's hard to see how well the pieces match the car, but he uses the exact PPG mix under the 'carbon fiber' to get the color match. HEre's a few more

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
and a few more.... the engine covers came out awesome, really made a huge difference and he did a great job, hard to appreciate from the photos but they are killer. Got the shift boot and ebrake boot custom done too from Redlinegoods, came out great with the matching piping...

Attachments

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,605 Posts
I have actually thought about doing the same because while there are plenty of carbon pieces available, not many are willing to work with the various colors in Kevlar. I am curious about how well the print will hold up to temps in the engine compartment and the durability. How long have you had this?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Ok - so the quality of work looks really good.

Now, I really hope this is one of those 'pics don't do it justice' things, because it's giving me a massive migraine.

Curious - does he clear over the top of it after the dip?

Reactions: XtinctElise

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have actually thought about doing the same because while there are plenty of carbon pieces available, not many are willing to work with the various colors in Kevlar. I am curious about how well the print will hold up to temps in the engine compartment and the durability. How long have you had this?

I've had them on the car for a few months, just got around to taking pics. Holding up perfectly so far. SwingLo - he puts gads of strengthened clear on top of all the pieces. They are a little 'soft' until they fully cure, that's the only thing you've got to be careful of. Even the parts I was most worried about, the door sills, which take a pretty hard beating with shoes and scuffs and scratches have held up great.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Looks great. I wouldn't mind getting my center console done, can you give out ballpark costs for this stuff? I'm in Tampa.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Thanks for that. Again, I'm sure it looks better in person. The work looks outstanding.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that. Again, I'm sure it looks better in person. The work looks outstanding.
Well, like anything it's an opinion thing, it definitely isn't subtle but I think it does look better when you have the perspective of getting into the car or sitting in it, and yes, the quality of his work is top notch, I highly recommend him and have been having a lot more done on my other car as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks great. I wouldn't mind getting my center console done, can you give out ballpark costs for this stuff? I'm in Tampa.
I had a lot of pieces done together so I couldn't really tell you what just a center console would cost, except that its a lot cheaper than CF parts, probably half the cost or less.
These pieces were somewhat more expensive than just straight HG because I wanted them to match the car color, and PPG in Lotus colors aint cheap to begin with, I think the paint alone was 75 a pint or something.
If you just want a standard CF look black/silver, it would be even cheaper. Plus every shop will be different, best thing to do is get a reputable shop and get a quote.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I like it. I might consider it in a more subtle color. I've always looked at the kits you buy, and wondered how easy it really is.

Not to nitpick though, but the silver surround piece for the window roller upper is begging to dipped.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like it. I might consider it in a more subtle color. I've always looked at the kits you buy, and wondered how easy it really is.

Not to nitpick though, but the silver surround piece for the window roller upper is begging to dipped.
I don't know of any kits to do hydrographics, you need a special tank setup, I think you're thinking of an actual carbon fiber kits, but either way, it won't turn out very good on top of these pieces, there's some crazy bends and shapes on these pieces that are no match for an amateur...trust me. You will waste your money and be trying to sand carbon fiber off your parts. Not a happy ending

Plus you can have a pro do the HG dipping for probably about the same price that you could do a CF kit for.

Anyway, I agree with you about the window button trim, guess I never noticed it but it does need a little help, not worth dipping just those pieces though, guess I'll have to come up with some more parts :D

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
That's kick ass, you need to show your car!

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
I have spent a fortune on CF parts for my car. Saw this process on a TV show a couple of months ago in Europe and wondered if anyone in the US was doing this. Now I know. I've gotta admit, it looks awfully good. Would only consider this for interior parts. Nicely done.

Noted the aeroquip braided hoses on your engine, what are each of them for?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts