The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made these last year and I have gotten some interest from people who have seen them so I am posting the details so others can make them. I have been very happy with these mirrors. The mirror is much wider than stock and help extend the view into the blind spot. Replacing the stock mirrors with these carbon fiber mirrors and aluminum plate saved 2.12 lbs combined.

Disclaimer - I have no desire to make more of these (so don't ask) and this is just a general guide, not step by step instructions. You will need to figure out some of the details on your own. That said, they are not very hard to make as long as you have access to a mill and lathe.

The mirrors were purchase from ebay for $129 plus shipping. There are many available, here is a link to one of them: F1 CARBON FIBER RACING MIRROR. After this auction expires just search for the key words listed in the link. Posted below is a picture of the mirrors from the auction.

Construction
The mirrors come with a generic two hole mounting plate. Disassemble this flange from the mirror stock and turn it down on a lathe so that it is completely cylindrical. It will be press fitted into the aluminum plate you need to fabricate. The mirror flange is pressed from the back side, to keep it from popping out I left a small step on the flange and a corresponding pocket in the aluminum plate to accept the step. Note that this is not detailed in the drawing below.

The plate dimension pictured below are subjective to your aesthetics, except the screw thread locations. Note that the mounting surface on the car is not flat. I ground off some of the aluminum plate surface on the back to better mate up with the body, this is also not detailed on the drawing. When machining was complete I spray painted the plates black and applied electrical tape to the back of the plates to reduce the chance that it would scratch the paint.

To keep the look as clean as possible I did not drill the mounting holes completely through the plate. This hides the screw tips but requires a thicker plate.

Hopefully this inspires a few of you to make your own carbon fiber mirrors. Or it may make the Craftsquare mirrors look reasonably priced. Either way, enjoy.

I cannot remember what the thread pitch is for the mounting screws, you will have to measure your screws.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
forgive me for my ignorance on all things CF related, but is there another advantage to the CF side mirrors apart from the reduced weight?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
smaller surface area = less drag

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
^ yeah, I want to get the type 4 mirrors from Magical Racing. Was looking for a plate to mount the mirror to the exige.

thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
^ yeah, I want to get the type 4 mirrors from Magical Racing. Was looking for a plate to mount the mirror to the exige.

thanks
I run the Type 1 on my S2K & they are okay - might upgrade to the Type 4 to get more viewing area; its a bitch to see much out of those mirrors. Im making a CF plate for Craftsquares on Lotus.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
I run the Type 1 on my S2K & they are okay - might upgrade to the Type 4 to get more viewing area; its a bitch to see much out of those mirrors. Im making a CF plate for Craftsquares on Lotus.
Is that the rectangle shaped mirror? That's a small one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts