• DON'T CHANGE IT

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Rich,

The more I look at them...they don't appear to be as aggressive as they possibly could. It feels like where the main side edge of the sill follows the curve of the body, the skirt itself needs to be a touch wider. The upper point of the rear fender line appears to be wider than the widest point of the fender where it mounts to the car at the rear fender.

Personally speaking, I would say, if possible, widen the skirt at the front fender mounting point and the rear fender mounting point, just the slightest, and then raise where it hits the fender line about a 1/2" to an 1" to give it a more flat/aerodynamic fit.

Hope that all makes sense.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
As long as you're asking for aesthetic opinions: I'd put more more narrow curved taper in the middle and make sure the areas near the wheel wells are a bit wider to add function stopping small debris. Just take ques from the sexy lines of the car. Make the whole thing a bit more curvy.

Having a narrow center section also makes it less likely that some dufuss will try to use it for a step.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Maybe change the rear line to match the side scoop line...

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
more like this?
I believe we are all talking more about the distance out from the car. Adjusting the actual line of the side skirt as it follows the body line lengthwise (front to rear wheel) on the car.

I was just suggesting adjusting the height of where the side sill hits the fender well accordingly with the width of the side skirt itself. Also helps with protecting the body more. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Giantmcm, I am not really following what you are saying here.
The front and back of the skirts is exactly the width of the fender( I.e. They extend out away from the body exactly as far as the most lateral aspect of the rear and front fenders extend).
I bought the truleo side skirts and what most people were complaining about was that they extend too far out laterally (away from the body). They actually extend out the same distance as the ones pictured above but the transition from the skirt to the body shows a gap because the bottom end of the front and rear fenders are curved inwards. This makes them look like an added on mod.

The joints area at the front and rear fenders in my personal opinion don't look nice on this prototype (though it does look continuous and more oem than the truleo, it does appear very bulky at the edges).

The only side skirts that look continuous and not bulky are the ones HKFEVER does for the exige. They are identical in my view to the truleo ones (in CF rather than Fiber glass) except the ends are better finished off (the curved in parts of the front and rear fenders are filled in).

Therefore I feel the only issue with the current crop of side skirts available is the ends not the lateral extension or the design (if u want major lateral extension sector 111 has large race side skirts on offer). If the ends are done well, the Elise can join the exige with having nice side skirts that look like oem.
Just my point of view.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tooling on side skirts is easy. what ill do is make two types the a more aggressive one. and a low profile one with smooth transitions. just enough to fill the void. (ktdre) I know what you want.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Here is what I am referring to, and to go higher up with these skirst would not be an issue, especially since the newer exige already did it with the front lip.

Attachments

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
I think that if you wanted everyone's approval than you should have come up with an "approved" visual design before starting on your plug. To me, this skirt looks like the skirts they put on conversion vans, fat and "wet noodley", nothing like a Lotus OEM part. :TD:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Itslotawrk, it is very nice of you to be doing this for the community but I personally just went with the truleo side skirts and said I can live with the gaps ( I am based in Oman so shipping was as much as the skirts themselves!) hence won't be changing them soon. Though many state side LT members have expressed what I mentioned on other discussions so I expect the demand is there.

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Just so you know, your hinge cover isn't adjusted correctly, this will cause your parts to have a gap at the cover on any Elise that's not out of spec.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if everyone is okay with the low profile design on the others. then it's time to get back to designing the (ROAD WORRIOR) side skirts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts