The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I repair my splitter by getting a new clear coat? The carbon fiber does not look damaged but the clear coat is cracked.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
would it be worth getting a new clear coat or should i buy a new splitter?
The cracking is actually in the gel coat, but with a little work and a new coat of clear the damage probably wouldn't even be noticeable. I'd jut fix this one and buy a new one when something more catastrophic happens. Especially if you AutoX it at all...

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
FWIW, I put a strip of black plastic door edge trim from AutoZone on the leading edge of my Forcedfed splitter. It looks like the splitter was made with that strip. I think it will offer some scuff protection. The "C" shaped trim has a heat sensitive adhesive in the center. I used a heat gun to set the adhesive after I installed it.

The only possible problem I see is that the strip might pop off if I scuff it in reverse. :cool:

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
what about buying and applying resin. After it hardens it should be good as new, yeah? I have a part cracked just like that, but worse. Still only the clearcoat though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
3M DP 100

Get 3M DP100... it comes in clear. Works great... apply thin coat it sets in 5 mins. Wet sand... let it dry apply again... dry. It's awesome.
You will need the gun to apply.

Here is link with details on diffrent repairs.
ReVerie :: Damage Inspection & Repair Techniques

Good Luck!!!
What's up Ara? Going to LOG?

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Hey David! No, I won't be able to come out this time :( , but do you know where LOG 30 is going to be held?

oh and thanks for the links. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts