The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had seen a post awhile back looking for info
on how well carbon fiber parts fit.So here we go.Just installed my carbon fiber top from GRP.
As you can see from the pictures it follows the
contours of the windshield and clam quite well.Whoever made this really did a nice job.
The weave is perfect and has a flawless gloss finish. The front and rear weather stripping cannot be attached to the roof itself. The stock roof has right angle edges where the weather stripping attaches.This roofs edges curve but
never get to 90 degrees so there isn’t a place
to attach anything.So I put the stripping on the windshield frame and clam.This means I can’t put my stock top on but I don’t plan on doing that anyway. The rear hold downs needed to be slotted with a round file to get the bolts to
thread into the top.I made a clamp to hold down the center of the roof in front.Probably isn’t necessary but I do get up to 110mph on
the tracks around here. I won’t be using the rear center clamp that came with it since it weighs 3/4 of a pound!!!! I don’t think it’s necessary.If I change my mind I’ll make a smaller lightweight one.My stock top was about 24# 4 oz. This one is almost exactly 10#
less😎 Two thumbs up 👍👍
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting
Grille Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
7,257 Posts
I looked at the photos before looking at the text and first thing that crossed my mind was you have your signature handiwork with red fasteners. Looks great! By any chance do you have photos of that leading edge before install to see the face/profile of it?

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the photos before looking at the text and first thing that crossed my mind was you have your signature handiwork with red fasteners. Looks great! By any chance do you have photos of that leading edge before install to see the face/profile of it?
Here is a pic with a short section of the weather stripping on the cf top.It’s too close to the roofline and not perpendicular to the roof surface.When the top is installed the weather stripping when compressed sticks up above the roofline and looks terrible.
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bumper Automotive exterior Tints and shades Auto part Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Gas Road surface Auto part Asphalt
Here is a pic of the stock top and a close up of my bracket.Just made bracket yesterday so I will have it anodized next time I send out a batch out.Can’t decide if it should be black or red.
What do you think??

Reactions: 3X163

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
2006 Exige
970 Posts
Love that bracket. I'm a tall skinny guy as well and would prefer not to have the large OEM thing blocking my view at the top of the windshield.

Go with black ano with the red bolt unless you already have a lot of other red inside!

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What made you eliminate the roof scoop?
My car is na so I don’t need a scoop and the aero drag.When I can find a crashed out clam I will eliminate the rest. I have a dream of going to the salt flats and going 150mph. I have a lot of aero to clean up before I can dream of going that fast on 250hp.
No wing,mirrors no exhaust out the diffuser.A solid engine cover and super skinny tires.Even with all that and the right gearing I worry this body shape has too much drag.

·
Registered
07 Aspen White Exige S - MT
1,667 Posts
My car is na so I don’t need a scoop and the aero drag.When I can find a crashed out clam I will eliminate the rest. I have a dream of going to the salt flats and going 150mph. I have a lot of aero to clean up before I can dream of going that fast on 250hp.
No wing,mirrors no exhaust out the diffuser.A solid engine cover and super skinny tires.Even with all that and the right gearing I worry this body shape has too much drag.
Interesting! Didn’t know you were NA, some reason I thought you went REV kit or similar.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yo Just noticed the plastic pc that the rear roof clamp goes into pushes the weatherstripping out of position. I cut it back and it helped straighten the weatherstripping.pic 1 is before,pic2 is after. I also noticed when you tighten the top the plastic flexes.
Someone pointed this out in another post. There are people who have had theirs break and I see why.
This is a easy part to make so I will make a small batch out of aluminum. I will make it so it doesn’t interfere with weatherstripping Does the soft top use the hole that’s in it? I will black anodized them and sell my extras on Lotus talk classifieds.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,257 Posts
Here is a pic with a short section of the weather stripping on the cf top.It’s too close to the roofline and not perpendicular to the roof surface.When the top is installed the weather stripping when compressed sticks up above the roofline and looks terrible. View attachment 1297304
Thanks for the photo easier to visualize the issue!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm not from a state that has emissions or safety inspections; what is the purpose of the sticker on your windshield that says 'the smog index of this vehicle is...'? Do you know if it is based on a test of your specific car, or if it is based on the manufacturer's original emission certification?

On a new car at a dealer, I could see that being used for making an informed purchase decision, but on a private vehicle, is that meant to shame the owner or as some kind of humble brag?

I'm not so diligent at keeping my cars maintained, so if Michigan ever re-institutes safety or emission inspections I'll have to spend a lot of money to fix things or buy a new car. If I also had to put unwanted stickers on my car (especially those that would encourage others to judge me based on more than simply my choice of subaru and bad driving behaviors), it would be more frustrating.

·
2006 Exige
970 Posts
I'm not from a state that has emissions or safety inspections; what is the purpose of the sticker on your windshield that says 'the smog index of this vehicle is...'? Do you know if it is based on a test of your specific car, or if it is based on the manufacturer's original emission certification?
That sticker came on all Lotus Elises and Exiges from the factory. The original owner of yours must have taken it off to save weight up high.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Yo Just noticed the plastic pc that the rear roof clamp goes into pushes the weatherstripping out of position. I cut it back and it helped straighten the weatherstripping.pic 1 is before,pic2 is after. I also noticed when you tighten the top the plastic flexes.
Someone pointed this out in another post. There are people who have had theirs break and I see why.
This is a easy part to make so I will make a small batch out of aluminum. I will make it so it doesn’t interfere with weatherstripping Does the soft top use the hole that’s in it? I will black anodized them and sell my extras on Lotus talk classifieds.
When you make those pieces in aluminum; please put me on your list for some. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you make those pieces in aluminum; please put me on your list for some. Thanks
Will do,I’ll bump this post and announce when I make them. It will probably be 6 weeks by the time I get them done and anodized.

Reactions: rb26dett

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
If you are talking about making the two pieces that the soft top mounts into, I'll take two sets.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
60 Posts
I believe the soft top uses the two upper holes (one for a fixed pin and one for the latch) and the hardtop uses the lower lip.

If you’re keeping a list, put me down too please.

·
Administrator
7,257 Posts
Put me on the list please!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts