The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Weight will be about the same as the retail price in the form of twenties.

I don't know much about vehicle dynamics. But something like ten pounds per corner of unsprung weight melting away? Sounds like a game-changer for those with the means.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I thought CF wheels were supposed to come out years ago. They look awesome. Can they hold up to hard cornering?

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Sweet, I've always wanted a set of CF wheels for my bike. I don't think I'll be able to afford them for the car anytime soon. I'll just stick to my RAC Monolites :)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
If there is any part of a car that I wouldn't trust to be carbon fiber, it would be the wheels. No amount of data and convincing will make me change my mind in regards to safety.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
If there is any part of a car that I wouldn't trust to be carbon fiber, it would be the wheels. No amount of data and convincing will make me change my mind in regards to safety.
Yes. Scary. Geez, steel is scary enough on a track!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i absolutely would... the density isnt an issue, so there wont be any premature wear/warping with CF (as opposed to a metal/alloy) & they wont really see any type of significant heat cycling that would cause anything type of diformaties

the only doenside outside of initial cost is they probably arent easily repairable if they get gouged/scratched/ect...

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
Dymag marketed some carbon fiber wheels for cars a while back (they mainly do motorcycle wheels). If I recall right, they hinted they were DOT approved, but they weren't. I don't think they ever got TUV approval either. They no longer advertise them - maybe there's a few sets running around on Ariel Atoms...

Carbon by itself is fairly brittle. It's not a magical substance that is perfect for everything. Even for absolutely flat race tracks, I suspect there are much better materials for wheels when durability, resistance to damage and failure modes are taken into account.

Glen

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Dymag marketed some carbon fiber wheels for cars a while back (they mainly do motorcycle wheels). If I recall right, they hinted they were DOT approved, but they weren't. I don't think they ever got TUV approval either. They no longer advertise them - maybe there's a few sets running around on Ariel Atoms...

Carbon by itself is fairly brittle. It's not a magical substance that is perfect for everything. Even for absolutely flat race tracks, I suspect there are much better materials for wheels when durability, resistance to damage and failure modes are taken into account.

Glen
FWIW the article states:

"As far as meeting industry standards are concerned, Carbon Revolution has said that the carbon fiber wheels have met OEM And Certificate Body standards, including SAE 2530, TUV German Aftermarket, and German OEM AK-LH 08 standards."

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone put in some money, we can take turns testing the wheels lol

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
true, but carbon fiber compsites... incredably strong
Carbon fiber composites are strong in tension but weak in impact and compression, as in a hoop or wheel.

Most carbon composites are an epoxy matrix with strands of carbon. Once the matrix is compromised... the structure shatters. It is possible to use something more resilient as a matrix, like a thermoset plastic, but then tensile strength usually suffers. Also the modulus will increase and make the structure less stiff like a graphite fishing rod.

Metal is much safer for impact and compression.

It is tough to get all the fibers in a wheel aligned for optimum strength in tension ;)

I would not use a carbon wheel on my car!

The wheels in that photo have a decorative (non-structural) top-sheet veneer to make them look pretty, but you would not align the fibers like that for strength... Shows you what their priority is;)

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
Carbon by itself is fairly brittle

true, but carbon fiber compsites... incredably strong
I mis-spoke. Instead of saying 'carbon composite' I took a shortcut and said 'carbon.' Carbon composite is fairly brittle. It is very strong in tension, but as another poster points out, has much less strength in compression. Brittle materials lack toughness, a quality I'd want in my road-going wheels.

Glen

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I read about a type of CF that can be injection molded, not pretty to look at. Manufacturers can use it for non structural parts like oil pans and valve covers.
That maybe what’s under the pretty clear coated CF weave.

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Carbon Wheels

Carbon wheels are used by most Indy and F1 teams. Much lighter and better than magnesium.

I have a set of Dymag carbon wheels. They were approved and certified by TUV and DOT. I tracked them on my M3 and they were fine. Even on an M3, I could feel a difference in cornering and front-end response. HRE sold their own version with their own centers, also.

An 18x10 Dymag is about 13lbs. They were CC barrels with magnesium centers. A lot of Porsche, Corvette and BMW guys bought them. You can see my wheels on the 'Track Car' forum and Wide-Body Elise. I converted front spindles to BMW bolt pattern, since 18x10 with 25mm offset was what I wanted on the front... and the weight is the same as stock wheel and tire!

Anton

P.S. As always lots of BS on this forum. When it comes to technical matters, we should stick to facts, science and good engineering. When it comes to color choices for the car, one could speculate an opinion.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts