The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any S2 guys here that have put Carbon Fibre doors on their car? If so could you please share who you got them from, your experience with installing them (especially guys with electric windows) and pics? Thanks.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Coming soon......I am making some, but am still in the test stage of the tooling. Will let you know when I have them done.

·
Registered
664 Posts
oops.......
Wasn't a guy out of WI making body parts, I know he did an S1

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oops.......
Wasn't a guy out of WI making body parts, I know he did an S1
Yes I've seen the S1. I accually don't want to buy. Mine just got here. I have never seen anyone with them so I was wondering how the install went and how many hours they were charged for. I just got the quote a few hours ago. Also would love to see some pics as we also came up with a paint scheme and wanted to compare some ideas. I would also love to see some paint schemes for the engine lid if anyone has some.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Is there any S2 guys here that have put Carbon Fibre doors on their car? If so could you please share who you got them from, your experience with installing them (especially guys with electric windows) and pics? Thanks.
I have the only set out there on an S2. I can't help you much with the windows, I have none for weight reduction. Benetec made the entire body and they as well as any other company have been blocked from making the major body parts. Lotus has a patent on the design and no one is allowed to copy them. At $5,000 per door the line would be quite short anyway.

Attachments

·
shay2nak
24,978 Posts
Esta International sells carbon doors. I think it's 1000 each. Saves 8 lbs each side.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are slowly coming together so I should have some pics soon. Body shop says about another week for everything (CF doors, engine lid, Door steps, smoothed line in forward portion of front clamshell, and unique paint scheme).

·
Registered
787 Posts
Esta International sells them... for 1,000 each... ouch for the guy that payed 10,000 for his lol
Apparently you are not aware of just the cost of raw materials for CF. There is a worldwide shortage for "prime mat", and the 2nd rate material (most of the aftermarket stuff you see out there) is also quite depleted. The airline industry has first dibs on almost all of the prime, then there is the next group of high end exotic cars and race cars ie. Formula 1 and IRL. Whatever is left over goes to the highest bidders for distribution. Most of the mat available is 5.7 oz and 0.012" thick 2x2 twill (not the best). My car has mat laid >1/8" thickness and to get it that thick required a lot of material so there is no way to keep the cost down unless the material is sub par and very thin. That's what justifies the cost and I haven't even addressed the labor part of it. Look at Sector111 CF parts for an idea of prices (front access panels are $475, roof panel $2800 for examples). A door for $1000 is ridiculous. The hours to lay it alone are a lot if it's done right!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've never understood why Lotus doesn't make an "ultimate Elise" or something like that with an all carbon-fiber body and a trumped up supercharger.

You could price it high enough to make a tidy sum, contract out the build, and then send one model around ahead of time for all the magazines to foam over.

Think about it - they don't have to bother with mfg'ing and they get a bunch of free press on the deal. All for free. A limited build of 20 or so (for the World) would be just fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts