The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've read about this, but a search brought up nothing. Hope this isn't a repost.

Today, on Capitol Hill, a rep from Carbon Motors is displaying their purpose-built police cruiser. Check the read door hinge, and see if it doesn't look familiar. Also, he said that it's an aluminum frame. When I asked, he admitted that they had used Lotus Engineering for consulting.

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another couple of pix

Here are a couple more pictures of the Carbon Motors police cruiser -
He said it was Turbo Diesel, limited to 155mph.

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
-???

He didn't say, and he didn't open the hood...
He did say it is speed-limited to 155mph. Isn't that a German auto industry thing?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
He did say it is speed-limited to 155mph. Isn't that a German auto industry thing?
Yep. A "gentlemens agreement" between the manufacturers and the German Government.

Only one company ignores it...........anyone guess who?

Interesting car BTW. Is it based on a Cadillac?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Why do police cars have to look so menacing? Seems to me that it only reinforces the god complex so many of them have.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I remember reading about this car design - maybe one of the Lotus "ProActive" issues?

In any case, unlike other Police cars that are modified versions of standard cars, the one described is a purpose built car, optimized for Police work. Some good engineering in the thing (naturally ;)).

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Undetermined Powerplant

I stopped by again on my way out of work, and asked the rep if he could talk about the engine source. He said no, because it had not been finalized. He repeatedly mentioned it was a turbo diesel, and claimed zero-to-sixty in something like 6.5 seconds.

Some interesting features - the front seats had cutaways at the midsection, to make room for the gunbelt. The doors opened wide - suicide doors at back. He claimed that the hinge was an important feature, very strong, and allows a very wide opening for suspects going in the back. Rear seats were solid molded plastic, with shapes molded in for cuffed arms behind the back.

He did say it was an aluminum frame - maybe VVA from Lotus?

Even with the nice ideas, what police force can afford to buy a vehicle that doesn't have all parts available from a garden-variety dealer, anywhere?

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
"They" aren't built yet. And may never be. The one shown is the only one in existance. The owners designed and built the car hoping that a larger company would purchase the rights to it and they, Carbon Motors, would get big fat royalties from it. Well... No one has bit. Not in this economy. The first and main issue is that the purchasing agency would have to use equipment that it comes with. Take two-way radios for instance. Many agencies have spent millions of dollars over the past few years to purchase new radio systems for reasons of interoperablility. If they bought these cars, those radios would have to be thrown in the trash because this car doesn't use them. Same with the on-board computers used to run plates, licence checks, etc. You gotta use the one in the car or you're out. It also has a voice activation system that does not work. At all. Warning lights and sirens from a manufacturer that is about to go under because of patent infringment. It was a neat concept when it was developed, but even if the economy was great, what department would throw money away like that for something that does little more than your run of the mill Crown Victoria.

Last fall at the International Police Chiefs Conference in San Diego, they had a huge unveiling of the car. They had a big clock that would count down the time before they lifted the cover off. Well... the clock got down to zero and they reset it because no one had gathered around yet. Then they did that again. And again. Finally when they had 15 people watching they unveiled it. They also hired their own camera crews to set up around it to give the appearance that it was some huge ordeal. Then come to find out.. they did all this to attract investors or buyers for the company to fund the program. People there (myself included) saw right through it. It was quite a flop.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
This car was at GOVSEC last week. Good idea, with some cleaver thought out pieces but will never make it to production. I personally like the cut out front seats, rear hinged back doors and the "clipped in the ready position" back seat belts. The engine is a diesel, and the car was going to come with a 250K miles warranty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I like it... Looks like it's make an interesting Daily, but as a purpose built police car they probably won't be available for consumer purchase

Yep. A "gentlemens agreement" between the manufacturers and the German Government.

Only one company ignores it...........anyone guess who?

Interesting car BTW. Is it based on a Cadillac?
Porsche? I'm pretty sure I've had my Pcar over 155.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Porsche? I'm pretty sure I've had my Pcar over 155.
Yep :clap:

They are the only full range of cars you can buy un-restricted in Germany.

.....though I did have an Audi S8 that went 170mph when I lived there :D

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I've been following this car for about a year now. The engineering/ specification is very aggressive. I like the concept. The lack of a dealer support network and so many unique parts could become a problem. Their press materials says they have orders in place but I'm not sure how firm they are. It'll be something to watch going forward.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts