The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Nice, I bet it's in the same price range as Dymag. I bet they could make LSS sizes in 3-4 pounds.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
ive seen quite a few rims made of aluminum, coved in cf, i think 360 forged does it this way(though they do not have elise wheels yet) though they tell me they are working on tesla rims:mad:

be a nice look i think!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
ive seen quite a few rims made of aluminum, coved in cf, i think 360 forged does it this way(though they do not have elise wheels yet) though they tell me they are working on tesla rims:mad:

be a nice look i think!
Is there any reason to cover aluminum in CF, or is it just to make it pretty?

·
Registered
27 Posts
:drool:

I wonder how strong they really are, although I've seen pictures of Dymags that have broken at the magnesium hub (due to off-track excursions) and left the CF barrel intact...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

be a nice look i think!
Hate to curb that wheel...plus I think it would look terrible once it was curbed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A friend of mine has the Dymags on his 911 turbo, they look pretty nice. Unfortunately they are crazy expensive and ony come in 18 and above.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
May overheat and kill your bearings too because the wheel no longer provides a heat-sink and radiator for the conducted brake disk and bearing/CV joint friction heat. (metals tend to conduct heat quite a bit better than CF :) )

Idea is good, but you'd need a suspension setup that was designed for this to really make it work to your advantage.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Wonder what happens if you accidentally drive over a pothole...

·
Registered
27 Posts
May overheat and kill your bearings too because the wheel no longer provides a heat-sink and radiator for the conducted brake disk and bearing/CV joint friction heat. (metals tend to conduct heat quite a bit better than CF :) )

Idea is good, but you'd need a suspension setup that was designed for this to really make it work to your advantage.

Bye, Arno.
This is an excellent point. I do, however, think that a reduction of, say, 14lbs per corner of unsprung weight would ease some stress off of the wheel bearings. Regardless, I'd still be concerned about heat.

Maybe they would work well on a kart, but then again...how much can a kart wheel really weigh?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Kngsgg. CCX comes with carbon wheels as an upgrade options. I think they are part alloy-part carbon. But this one look alike to be fully carbon. Scary!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
another note, ive seen motorcycles with whole carbon fiber rims.... dont remember hearing about any failures

1 - 20 of 37 Posts