The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Care for an Esprit hybrid?

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Simba 
#1 ·
#2 ·
THAT'S a good looking car ! :up:

#3 ·
I think this is a misunderstanding.

In the most recent Evo, Mike Kimberley said that there would be a hybrid Evora and that, IIRC, the Esprit's powerplant was largely sorted and waiting for the car to be completed.

He was also enthusiastic that sales were up 1% (don't recall the period) while everyone watched theirs plummet.

#6 ·
I thought that all the new engines with the emissions equipment on them pass all right.......... Then again, if they are trying to get the HP with Normal Aspiration, rather than turbo, that is a lot tougher, as you never need to get on the turbos during the emissions testing (at least here in California) but you all just "know" that judging by the exhaust when you are on full boost, that the chances of passing any kind of emissions test go right out the window :)

Paul Wendling
94 S4
85 TE

#9 ·
I thought that all the new engines with the emissions equipment on them pass all right..........

Paul Wendling
94 S4
85 TE
Its not exactly a matter of "traditional" emissions...I believe it had something to do with the amount of CO2 (carbon) allowed by the EU.

Lotus was considering either the twin-turbo 4.4L V8 (think BMW X6) or a V-10 (think M5) for the new Esprit. The planned chassis would (could) accommodate either. But Roger said that these new EU regulations would make it difficult for Lotus to comply as a manufacturer, so the engine choices were being reconsidered.

Led me to think that 1. BIG engines were being legislated against and 2. even a handful of big CO2 emitters could bring Lotus down out of fleet compliance.

But hey, remember that as a source of information, I spent WAY too much time in the hotel bar...:no:

#12 ·
The advantages to the Hybrid for performance cars are that they provide 100% of the available power from the start. Therefore the car can accelerate at first using the electric and then switch over to the gas engine without a concern of reaching max. power in the torque band.

I may be reaching but yesterday's report regarding the Jaguar XE got me thinking that there might be a connection between that car and the next Esprit. The cars will be too similar and there were rumors as recently as a couple of months ago that Lotus may be considering the AJ Gen III engines.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/jaguar-xe-sister-next-msc-67604/

#13 ·
The advantages to the Hybrid for performance cars are that they provide 100% of the available power from the start. Therefore the car can accelerate at first using the electric and then switch over to the gas engine without a concern of reaching max. power in the torque band.
Personally, I'd rather have a ~2500 pound Esprit with ~500 hp and ~400 pounds of torque, and have to wait a few seconds for it, than a ~3500+ pound Esprit with instatorque and a pile of needless complexity.

Building gimmick cars to appease the idiots du jour is not what Lotus is supposed to be about. If I want a land boat full of electronics and random crap, I'll buy a current BMW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.