1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Would someone be kind enough to run a carfax check for me on

SCCPC11185HL33542 ?

Now I want to tell you about my Lotus Experience.

I have been looking for a lurking on this forum for about 6 months. I have been looking for a Krypton Green, Yellow, Chrome Orange Lotus or an 08 Velocity Yellow Corvette.

I started by driving the Corvette. It helped that my brother just bought a beautiful blue 08 in January. I have always been a Corvette fan and a British car fan, having owned a Vette in 84 and a Triumph Spitfire, GT6 and a 67 MGB that I did a complete restoration on.

I am not a small guy but I love small cars. I am 6' 3 , 250 and 53 years old without an ounce of muscle on me, lol.

I drove the Corvette and it was nice. So many things to choose from. Should I get the heated seats, what about the headup display etc etc. It seemed like a big car when driving it. It was pretty quite. I was very confused. It reminder me of my 4 door Infintity I35 but with a very harsh ride. I didn't feel connected to the road at all, but man it was fast!!!!

Ah and then my wife and I went to look at the Lotus. I didn't fit. It was way to small. I couldn't even figure out how to get in the thing or get out without rolling on the ground. My wife hit her head getting in and got a big knot and
we had to leave. She hated the car.

I knew it was too small, but I became obsessed. I started living on this forum. My record is 12 hours straight. My wife felt I had become crazed.

It took me awhile but I finally got to drive a beautiful supercharged British Racing Green Elise yesterday that I found on this forum.

I had the owner give me a ride and show me what it could do. When we started out, I knew I was too big for the car. I could here every squeak and rattle. The passenger seat was too small. It was grinding into my hips. I didn't have enough leg room. The air surprisingly worked pretty well. I had decided that this probably was not the car for me. The sound of the door shutting reminded me of my 67 MGB, just a clunk. I thought, well I guess the British haven't come very far in almost 40 years.

Then it happened.. We got on an open stretch of road with some curves. He opened it up. The sound and feelings as the engine wound up and the reverberations in my organs from the stage II exhaust were incredible. The car went around curves at twice the posted speed like it was on rails. The engine sounded like music. It was unlike any car experience I have ever had. At one point I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride and I thought I was going to get sick.

I then knew what the Lotus experience was all about. It is about driving, about being one with car, about the emotion experience and nothing else. I thought this must be what it is like to own a super car or date a super model. I was sold, I had to have the car. I don't care if I don't fit, I will make myself fit. I don't car how loud it gets, it is music, all part of the experience.

So for the others of you out there still lurking and asking a million questions about how small it is or how loud or will it work as a daily driver, etc etc, just get someone who knows how to drive the car take you for a real ride.

You will either be sold like I was and the rest of the cars short comings won't matter or you will walk away and find yourself another type of car.

I am suppose to pickup my "new" car on Monday and I am as excited as a kid the day before Christmas.

Thanks to everyone on here who helped me get this far.

bigDog!

·
Registered
68 Posts
What a great recap of your experience:clap: I think you really captured the essence of Lotus relationship. Often people say you either get it or you don't. Your experience explains what 'getting it' really means.

However please don't let my wife know I am dating a supermodel. She already hates my car :panic:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Good story :up:

The very first time I test drove an elise, I immediately put my other car up for sale and started looking for a KG elise/exige.

It only took about 2 years, but I found the perfect car rotfl

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
And it will be great incentive for you to lose weight and get in shape. Remember every 10 lbs = 1 HP. And with no power steering you can get a nice workout on the twisties ! The past 2 weeks I managed to gain 1/2 a hp by losing weight (on me not the car )

Do you have dreams that you are driving the Elise ? If you do then you know you are hooked and "get it".

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am 6'0 and was 240 lbs when I first bought the car... lost some weight, and have been crawling back up since then, sigh... but all you need is a thin blanket to sit on, and the butt hurt problem is solved! As for getting in and out of the car, you'll get used to it.... just hope you don't have arthritis! ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the comments and thanks for doing the CarFax. I can't wait until Monday!!!

The trunk is large enough for golf clubs if you only play putt putt

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Good write. You'll love the car, it is an experience. I'm sure you've read here that many owners are over 6' tall and they have not problem fitting. Yes, it is not as easy as an under 6' person, but still manageable. CONGRATULATIONS!!! & be safe (it is easy to get in trouble with these toys)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts