The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you consider that a "red flag" if you were considering buying an Elise? Specifically, the Carfax says, "Sold at auction in New England Region. Listed as a fleet vehicle."

It is priced right and should still be under warranty (I will call 1-800-24-LOTUS to be sure).

What do you think? I've got two Elises priced where I want them, but I'm not sure about this one because of the "Fleet" designation. . .

This is my first post. Thanks for your time!

Jim

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Depends on what fleet means.

Is it given that designation because it was owned by a corporation? My Elise was owned by my corp. Or was it a rental car?

If it was a rental car, I would want a healthy discount and possibly an ECU data dump.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I'd just check it out in person.

Fleet doesn't really make sense. What company uses a Lotus as a fleet vehicle? If they do, then I want to work for that company.

Could be a CEO's personal car, registered under the company for a write off. When the company goes belly up and the assets are siezed, the Lotus gets taken and sold at auction.

If it looked to be in good shape after a thorough inspection, why not buy it?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Could be a CEO's personal car, registered under the company for a write off. When the company goes belly up and the assets are siezed, the Lotus gets taken and sold at auction.
Exactly. ChaseCam owns my cars. I don't. So my point is, if that is the case, there is no reason to not buy it.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Why bother with so many low mileage 1 owner cars out there? FLEET usually means it's someone else's property, and how do most people treat someone else's property, Lotus or not?

You want a nice Elise, check out JElise's car in the for sale section, it's a STEAL, and in absolutely godlike condition.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Fleet is somewhat of a convoluted term IMHO. My buddy is a "Fleet Dealer" and I purchased a "fleet" car from him, which had 200KM (124miles) on it.

I paid $2500 less than the best deal I could find at any dealership for this "fleet car". The goofy part of it is that my buddy got the vehicle from one of the dealers that wanted to charge me more to begin with.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Make sure it wasn't owned as a part of a rental FLEET and you're good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.