The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who have never had to mess around with the hooks securing the cargo net in the boot may not realize how pitiful their attachments are. Two of mine spontaneously fell out several months ago, and I managed to pull the other two apart while replacing the battery. The backside of each hook has a screw which goes through a hole in the carpet and is threaded into a rubber plug inserted into a hole in the front panel of the boot. All my rubber plugs have either disintegrated or won't stay in place in the panel hole any longer. :tadts:

Does anyone have a fix for this poorly designed attachment, short of just ordering more rubber plugs from the dealer? You can't permanently attach these hooks to the panel because you have to remove them to remove the carpet to access the battery, etc. Unless, perhaps, you can use a different type of hook, permanently bolt it in place (not sure if that's possible) and make a small slit in the carpet to slide the carpet off/on the hook for access.

Have the great minds of this forum devised a solution?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I discovered them the other day also. One of mine came out also when I had to get to the battery. Pretty poor idea went into making and installing them.... I am trying to come up with a better idea also. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Those of you who have never had to mess around with the hooks securing the cargo net in the boot may not realize how pitiful their attachments are. Two of mine spontaneously fell out several months ago, and I managed to pull the other two apart while replacing the battery. The backside of each hook has a screw which goes through a hole in the carpet and is threaded into a rubber plug inserted into a hole in the front panel of the boot. All my rubber plugs have either disintegrated or won't stay in place in the panel hole any longer. :tadts:

Does anyone have a fix for this poorly designed attachment, short of just ordering more rubber plugs from the dealer? You can't permanently attach these hooks to the panel because you have to remove them to remove the carpet to access the battery, etc. Unless, perhaps, you can use a different type of hook, permanently bolt it in place (not sure if that's possible) and make a small slit in the carpet to slide the carpet off/on the hook for access.

Have the great minds of this forum devised a solution?
My rubber inserts also fell out. So, I came up with a permanent solution:

The holes in the fiberglass panel, where the rubber insert was, are the correct size to accept a 6mm "Rivet-Nut", which is like a pop rivet with female threads in it. I installed one of these in each of the carpet hook holes.

I then screwed a 6mm-1.0 X 25mm Button head screw through the plastic carpet hooks, so now the Hook-screw threads into a permanently secured metal thread in the trunk panel.

The photos show the Rivet-Nuts, before and after compressing, and the hook, with the screw installed. I could not show the Rivet-Nut installed in the trunk panel, without removing my carpet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Whoo-hoo! A+ for that solution. It definitely needs a sticky. I was about to start messing around with drywall anchors, but this looks like a way better idea. Thanks! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Plack, the cargo net is good for securing small things you don't want rattling around in the boot. I have my front license plate, OEM tool kit, tire pressure gauge, and 12V air compressor stuck in there. It's not big enough to hold large parcels.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Whoo-hoo! A+ for that solution. It definitely needs a sticky. I was about to start messing around with drywall anchors, but this looks like a way better idea. Thanks! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Plack, the cargo net is good for securing small things you don't want rattling around in the boot. I have my front license plate, OEM tool kit, tire pressure gauge, and 12V air compressor stuck in there. It's not big enough to hold large parcels.
Thanks. Most the things in my trunk (if small) are usually just wrapped up in a coat lol. I may look into picking up a cargo net.

·
Premium Member
6,246 Posts
Also a source of leaks in boots on many cars!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks Bobsy Racer

My golf clubs snagged on my cargo net in my trunk and pulled out the hook attachment. I remembered there was a thread that solved this problem. I used "search" and found the elegant solution by Bobsy Racer!

Thanks Bobsy Racer for your creative engineering.

Now all I have to do is get to Home Depot to pick up the Rivet Nuts and Button head screws. Of course now I'll have 46 extra Rivet Nuts since I will only be using 4 of them out of the 50 in the box.

Any other uses for them on the Evora?

My rubber inserts also fell out. So, I came up with a permanent solution:

The holes in the fiberglass panel, where the rubber insert was, are the correct size to accept a 6mm "Rivet-Nut", which is like a pop rivet with female threads in it. I installed one of these in each of the carpet hook holes.

I then screwed a 6mm-1.0 X 25mm Button head screw through the plastic carpet hooks, so now the Hook-screw threads into a permanently secured metal thread in the trunk panel.

The photos show the Rivet-Nuts, before and after compressing, and the hook, with the screw installed. I could not show the Rivet-Nut installed in the trunk panel, without removing my carpet.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just replaced my rubber "nuts" last week. I found it was easier to use aluminum rather than steel Rivet-Nuts, and the screws are easier to screw in if they're 30-35 mm. HTH.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Cargo Net - Anchor Install Question

When I got my Evora, the cargo net was in the trunk, but there were no hooks. I got the replacement anchors and hooks from mylotusgarage and it's a much better design than the original threaded rubber thingies (of which only one was in my car.)

So, I'm getting ready to put in the new anchors / hooks and the spots on the right side of the car are easily found, but I can only find one (I think) on the left/driver side. There are cut-outs in the carpet, but they don't line up with any pre-drilled holes. Can someone post a shot of what theirs looks like? Or do I need to drill the holes myself? Thanks in advance!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts