The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They bash on V6's in general for the entire episode, but at the 15min mark they sing praises on the Evora for a good 2 minutes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They also did a recent video about the GT500, and it lapped a course only 0.2s slower than a gt3RS with Randy Pobst driving both.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
That car on their cover was a keeper IMHO. Big front end heavy V8's....no thanks....unless in a true GT car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They also did a recent video about the GT500, and it lapped a course only 0.2s slower than a gt3RS with Randy Pobst driving both.
It has a much beefier torque curve and nearly 300 more HP. While impressive, not so much given the power difference

·
Registered
149 Posts
It has a much beefier torque curve and nearly 300 more HP. While impressive, not so much given the power difference
I've seen this sentiment a few times for plenty of different car comparisons but I don't get it. The mustang is also 800lbs more than the GT3RS and costs half as much. People generally have a budget to hit when they buy a car and then shop for the car that best fits their needs/wants on that price range. Automakers choose different methods to produce the best performance package. Porsche targeted low weight, refinement, and agility over power. Ford chose brute Force. At the end of the day they were neck and neck but you can buy two of the Mustang for the same price as the Porsche. So one automaker chose a more cost effective package to give the same results. Granted, this was one flying lap and the results are only valid for this track but it's still super impressive to see a Mustang that is keeping up with a GT3 RS on track.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Dunno how fair it is to complain of a front heavy car when comparing it to a car that has the engine fully 8 inches beyond the axle centerline. Porsche has spent 70 years pounding that design to make it work, but still if you make a mistake you are going to end up backwards once that mass catches up to you. Were I forced to choose one or the other I would probably choose the one that doesn't do that. Honestly I cannot figure out why whey cannot get the engine in the Mustang or Camaro behind the front axle, iI guess packaging trumps handling

Honestly I am not that interested in either of those cars. I mean, 4000 pounds WTF

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
I thought my 3300 lb 99 SVT Cobra was heavy. Shrink the car 6 inches, lose 500lbs in the process and you don't need 700+ HP. Just another fat, REALLY powerful muscle car. Like the Sam Kinnison of muscle cars. I have spent time in Cameros, Stangs and Challengers. All have the same mind bending straight line power but numbness through corners. Yes with big fat 305-325's they carry G loads but its like cornering in a delivery truck. TA1 still exists but notice how small the entry list has become. Its an overweight remnant of a former glorious Trans Am era. But as said before. The tail end of the boomer era still idolizes power over agility

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
If money is all that mattered. Buy an 86 Stang LX coupe, shove a GT 350 motor in it, reinforce the flexi FOX frame and have at it......Not sure what they are trying to prove with that article. 99% of the time the Porsche will eat it and then when it starts to rain it will become laughable when balance trumps power every time.

Hell, I'd be wicked happy if Lotus got to use the 2.0 multiair motor from my Stelvio. 390HP/443ft-lbs tq available way down low with a lot less weight than our 3.5l lumps. Probably looking at a ~2850-2900 lbs car that way....therefore performance entering the Exige V6S zone....think about that motor and output in an Exige!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Loves to talk
1,106 Posts
Perhaps that's where it's headed given Geely's existing inventories of engines and partnerships. How about a blown/turbo Mercedes 4? ( To be honest, I like my Toyota V6, just like Jason said).

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
The Multiair motor is more powerful in a way Lotus would tune it as I have stated.

·
Loves to talk
1,106 Posts
Do you see Geely buying motors from Alfa? I'm being cereal here. Mercedes....they have a stake there. And it's good brand cross pollination for sales. Mercedes engine like the big boys. But it will come from Geely in some form with Lotus tuning (as you say) and probably as it should. Maybe they'll build a motor or two just for Lotus?

Not saying the Alfa isn't a fine device. I've driven a 2L Stelvio and the Quadrifoglio and they were both really nice. The Stelvio (2 liter) was low spec and had what I thought were terrible seats, very bad fit for me. Otherwise dandy. I don't remember thinking that in the Q4.

·
Less is Better
2,686 Posts
I find it hard to imagine that Lotus will use anything other than something from the corporate portfolio.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Do you see Geely buying motors from Alfa? I'm being cereal here. Mercedes....they have a stake there. And it's good brand cross pollination for sales. Mercedes engine like the big boys. But it will come from Geely in some form with Lotus tuning (as you say) and probably as it should. Maybe they'll build a motor or two just for Lotus?

Not saying the Alfa isn't a fine device. I've driven a 2L Stelvio and the Quadrifoglio and they were both really nice. The Stelvio (2 liter) was low spec and had what I thought were terrible seats, very bad fit for me. Otherwise dandy. I don't remember thinking that in the Q4.
2 seat styles in Stelvio the base /Ti seats are pretty flat but the TiSport /Quad seats are heavily bolsterd and fit up to a 43-44 jacket 36 waist individual nicely. Ride/ handling ratio is a new benchmark thus all the awards. Motor has some of the best tech in the industry and weight is a key here.

Guess the hijack was to ignore the ignorance of the tuber...just plain stupid. The 16 cylinder dies because it was overweight and unnecessary. The 12 is on death's doorstep. Awesome sound but again heavy etc. The 8 is next on the list. technology has removed the need for all the extra weight and will continue to do more. Only 17 yrs ago the Ferrari 360 broached the 400Hp plateau. Now we have 4 cylinders pushing 2 HP/liter and climbing. With a downpipe and its EC tune, the Stelvio 2.0 will cross 400HP/~450Tq!!! Mercedes is at 416 yet only 369 Tq. Sorry germany....build quality in that baby benz is nothing to be that proud of IMHO. FWD based also. YUCK.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mercedes is at 416 yet only 369 Tq. Sorry germany....build quality in that baby benz is nothing to be that proud of IMHO. FWD based also. YUCK.
I mean, all current Lotus have powertrains designed for FWD, just moved to the rear axle.

If we got the GLA AMG 2.0, with the wick turned up a bit, making 400bhp in a lighter package, who could say no to that?

Reactions: ostatem3
1 - 16 of 16 Posts