The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm a long-time lurker. I rarely post. but since i've learned so much from this group, I wanted to share back.
I was looking for a solution to have navigation available to me front&center. wasn't happy with my phone mounts (iPhone 12 pro max), and it was time for an upgrade.

I ran across a single-din 10.1" system from boss audio (BCPA10), and decided to give it a shot. they also give a 15% discount on their website for new users (code: mobile15)

installation was a breeze. remove the old stereo, and the old wiring. the new wiring of the new system was clearly labeled, and needed 8-9 electrical connectors.
I've added USB extensions and then encountered my only challenge with the installation. how do I wire cables from the stereo into the cabin.

I've read somewhere here that one solution is through the AC control module. two screws underneath it, and the AC module was off. following the wires into the stereo space, (had to remove the plastic cover under the stereo that is attached with 3 clips, and don't forget to add it later). now the USB cables are resting on the right side of the AC module. (I didn't need to cut it).

super pleased with the results. you can judge for yourself.

E.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,886 Posts
Looks good! I just ordered a Joying 8.8" ultrawide single DIN stereo and plan to do something similar, so it is nice to see the various results. Any more detail on how/where you routed the USB cable?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice. I did a 9" Alpine last year and love it, except the volume buttons are trash. That one looks a little better.

My car had the factory iPod connector so I just clipped the usb cable to it and pulled in the (considerable) slack. Very easy to run it to the passenger-side "glove box"/tray.

·
Registered
71 Posts
One thing to watch out for on that 10" - does it obstruct the passenger-side airbag? You might have a nasty surprise if that thing ever goes off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good! I just ordered a Joying 8.8" ultrawide single DIN stereo and plan to do something similar, so it is nice to see the various results. Any more detail on how/where you routed the USB cable?
I've seen a few posts about it here. i removed the AC module - there are two Philips screws underneath it. and you can loose it free. there are wires that goes from the A/C module inside the dashboard. i removed the rubberized boot, and wired the USB into the dashboard.
you'll know have a USB cable inside your dashboard, and inside the AC module. inside the dashboard, there is a plastic cover, held up by three clips. if you remove them, you'll see the AC electric wires and your USB, pull the USB cable out. re-install plastic cover. three clips.
on the other side, of your AC module, you can reinstall it back, and make sure the USB cable is dangling to its right. there's enough of a gap there that you don't need to cut anything.

i hope that helps. wish i'd taken more pics.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My Joying 6.2 Inch has wireless apple car play. i also wired my usb to pop out below the start panel.

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
Put a unit from Kenwood in my daily Civic Si that’s wireless. So nice. It just starts up Waze and music when the car is started. Wireless charger in console, no USB cable at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts