The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone driven an SL55 AMG? Im looking at a 2005 SL55 vs 2004 C4s. I know the C4s is a great car and can easily be driven in the winter. The SL is more luxury and has crazy torque/hp but I wonder if its possible to drive like a grandma in the snow with snow tires and put 18in rims on and take the 19in rims off.. Or.. am I crazy? The mpg on the SL seems to be around 15mpg and the C4S around 20mpg?

·
Registered
591 Posts
dad has an sl500, albeit not an sl55, but very similar. wonderful car. very very torquey given its weight, and hp. ive driven it in snow, and its a fairly safe car (about as safe as other standard mercedes rwd cars with traction control) its very easy to drive in the snow, rain, etc. id swap on some skinnier wheels/tires with a good winter tire and you'll be set. as for the c4, no experience with that

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
911 Twin Turbo is what I was looking at seeing the C4s had some engine problems. Im 95% sure im going with the SL55 AMG and not going to drive it this winter. The following winter I will swap it out with the skinnier wheels/tires and get a good winter tire (Blizzaks) and give it a whirl.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,731 Posts
Pshhhhh Ditch the 55! You need an SL65AMG for the snow!

You seemed real concerned finding a winter car. Why don't you get an EVO or GTR, or something like that that is fast and AWD?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't need it for this winter but im looking to have one fun/fast car that I can drive 24/7. SL65 and the GTR are far out of my price range lol. Evo is not my style.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts