The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been driving my CGT for about a month now and i though some of you might be quite interested in a little report :)

I got the car with about 3k miles on it and now it has about 5k and several track days as well including one in pissing rain.

It is quite scary to drive it on a wet track with standing water without traction control. My lap times were actually faster with TC switched ON since i could open throttle faster on the straights, so i decided thats the way to go. It is quite manageable when it slides, although getting back into Elise and sliding it around a wet track... you can do it with one hand after CGT.

Although it weights 3100lbs, i guess due to very low COG, it feels like a pretty light car. On the downside, it is quite big, and one has to get used to it. I have some trouble feeling the limits of the car when i drive in the city, but somehow when i go to the track, i can just push it right away and know exactly what the car is doing. It isnt quite an Elise, but it does communicate rather well.

Gearbox and clutch are fantastic. Although i still cant figure out how to launch the car safely, apart from that its the best of the best ive ever driven. Gearbox is very precise and a joy to use. Clutch is great as well, nicely balanced and engages right at the end. Can be surprisingly smooth when driving in the city. Cant believe so many negative responses... You just have to know what youre doing.

Engine is simply like nothing else in a road car. Reaction to throttle is razor sharp and fast. Exhaust sound is the best bar none imho. Interesting thing is that you cant really hear it from the inside, unless you are in a tunnel with an open window/roof. You just hear the engine noise, which is very nice as well, although rather loud. Brakes are phenomenal. They just dont give up. Brake pedal is beautifully balanced, it is a joy to heel and toe in this car.

Interior is very nice, probably my favourite among any car ive been in. It is ergonomic and exquisitely crafted. Looks terrific. Just a very nice place to be at. The whole car itself is rather comfortable in fact and i dont have any problems being in for 3-4 hours in a row. Functionally everything looks good as well - stereo is great, ac works, heater works, it plays MP3s and has navigation, what else could you want? The only gripe is that for some reason there is very little heat coming in on the drivers feet which can be annoying if your feet are cold.

Handling is phenomenal. It is in fact better then Elise imho. I think it is more reasonable to compare it to middle-class formula cars - its that good. Hard to describe it, you just have to drive one, the car just corners. Separate praise goes for suspension. Again, nothing like ive felt before. It tolerates bumps and Moscow roads better then my Elise, but rolls less when cornering or braking. It is very hard tough when BOTH front or back wheels go over, say, a long bump. Go figure.

All in all CGT is simply awesome. It is a proper sports car and it offers a spectrum of abilities no other car i know can offer. You just have to know how to use it :) I am unbelievably glad i got this car and i cant believe how unappreciated it is.

Separate word of thanks goes to Robet Wallabyguy and Hunting Ridge Motors. Bought this car from them blindly and received basically a new CGT :up:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks for the review, sounds like a good time. Keep them coming, with some pictures and video

What more can you say about an engine that was made for a race car and put into a road car. The sound of the CGT is the best I've ever heard. Simply amazing.

>>The only gripe is that for some reason there is very little heat coming in on the drivers feet which can be annoying if your feet are cold.
rotfl.... life must be rough for a CGT driver. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Val - thanks for the review! Great to hear the direct compairson to the Elise - makes it a much more "real" point of view for me!:)

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
It was a pleasure working with you and I'm glad to see one of these cars actually being used rather than becoming a garage queen.

May it bring you many years of happiness

·
Registered
83 Posts
Congratulations, driving the CGT is one of the best feelings, from all aspects...and I agree with you, the most daunting part of it is the size, it isn't big, but feels big and is a bit hard to place the tires where you want it until you get used to it.

When you are ready, I'd strongly recommend a good set of tires as opposed to the crap that came with the car. A car of this caliber should not be fitted with 200 tread wear tires from the factory. I believe we fitted a set of P-Zero Corsas on the CGT (I forget, had to source it from Europe since I couldn't get them here in the US.) and it transformed the car, even on the street as the nervous feeling as you get on throttle in lower gears disappears allowing you to squeeze the throttle with much more confidence.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys :bow:

Fuse, actually you reminded me about the worst point of the car :( TIRES!!!
I searched around and couldnt find anything except from standard PS2 and P-zero Rosso which is even worse. As a street tire i guess its good, but it just cant handle track work :( once it overheats (and it overheats after 2 or 3 laps!) you start to lose tons and tons of grip. Very very disappointing :mad:

I will probably get a custom set of forged wheels made here in Russia in 18 radius and get a set of slicks.

Fuse, you mentioned that you fitted Corsa. You sure that was Corsa? As far as i know it is not avalible in 20 radius.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I will check what we put on the the CGT, but probably not until later this week. I just remember getting 2 sets of r compound 60 tread wear tires for the CGT and Enzo last year sourced from Europe, and thought they were Pirelli.

I will post when I get a chance to go and check.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Wow, congratulations, I didn't know you'd bought one of these.

Very nice. I love that exhaust sound. As you say, it's amazing - makes the hair on my arms stand straight up :D

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I just remember getting 2 sets of r compound 60 tread wear tires for the CGT and Enzo last year sourced from Europe, and thought they were Pirelli.
You have a CGT, Enzo and an S1 Exige??? :bow::bow:

How about some garage pics and/or driving impressions?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I will check what we put on the the CGT, but probably not until later this week. I just remember getting 2 sets of r compound 60 tread wear tires for the CGT and Enzo last year sourced from Europe, and thought they were Pirelli.

I will post when I get a chance to go and check.
You have a CGT, Enzo and an S1 Exige??? :bow::bow:

How about some garage pics and/or driving impressions?
+1

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nope, I do not have a CGT or an Enzo, and not a S1 Exige.

I do have 1 Elise Motorsport (used to have 2), 360 CS and 911 GT3 in addition to my S2 Elise...as far as sports cars.

I manage a fleet for a friend who is a collector, and the collection includes pretty much all modern super cars, so I've had to pleasure of driving them and taking care of them...when I have time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, I guess Elise Motorsport isn't a sports car.

These are some photos when I took delivery of the 2nd CGT. Fayence Yellow. I love it. It is a none metallic yellow that is every bit as bright and intense as Honda S2000 Spa Yellow (?) with the red pearl in the paint. When it is parked to Porsche's Speed Yellow, it makes it look like mustard...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
For some reason, the design of the CGT doesn't do it for me. Especially with the hard top on. Looks like two designers that couldn't agree on a final design.

However, I have no doubt it is an amazing car to drive!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts