The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Inspiring write up (besides the 5 marriages) lol. We are only here for such a short time and most of us waste the large majority of that time.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
F*CK... that sucks. I really admire the man. He leaves an enduring legacy and fortunately I have on order the last Shelby Mustang model produced with his stamp of approval.

·
Registered
742 Posts
:( RIP, Price of signed Shelby cars just went up.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Wow... to read about his accomplishments are truly impressive. Sad to loose such an innovated man, I'm sure the real Cobras just doubled in value.

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
Given his age and health issues, this is not a surprise.

Still, it feels terrible and our hobby/industry/world has suffered a great loss.

What a smart, cool, generous guy!

EatL, thanks for letting us know.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
What better example is there of how to live a life? He really seemed to enjoy being here as well as anyone.

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
Yeah, I am not a Ford Fan, but he was much more than that. If Colin was a "Lightness adds speed" Carroll was more like a "Wanna go faster? Hell with that, let's just add some more horsepower," kinda guy.

It's all about competition and he was a competitor. See you soon enough, Carroll.
After his transplant, he did a lot for children, too. Thanks for everything, Carroll.

A few quotes:
If you don't go do what you wanna do, you're just bull****ting yourself.

Back during my Grand Prix racing days, we used to lose seven or eight people a year. We didn't think about it all that much. We'd feel sad for whoever didn't make it and go to a funeral sometime during the week, then be out testing that afternoon. Part of the business.

Auto racing is a completely different dog-and-pony show now. I watched a Nascar race yesterday, and anytime anybody gets a little ahead, they suddenly see "debris" on the track, and they start another race. It's show business now, and it used to be racing. Maybe that's what people want, and it's so successful that you can't criticize it.

I'm not convinced that men and women are supposed to get along.

·
Registered
488 Posts
"Ironic that a lifelong car man would die in a motorboating accident."

My favorite comment off the jalopnik article.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
My dad bought a GT350R (serial #2) from Shelby in the 60s which he raced in SCCA B Production. He told me at the time Carroll had a bad heart and would probably not live much longer. He beat my dad by 2 years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts