The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An experiment.

The Problem- Good or bad, we have a rule that says you are not allowed to discuss pricing in someone's thread. The point being, it is rude. But people do it anyway. So I get reported posts and have to do thread clean up. Lately this has gotten out of hand and I really don't have the time to spend dealing with it.

One solution is we can allow a free for all in those sections. Some people would like that. But then we would still get more work for me to do from people who feel they were wronged, or starting attacking the person that mentioned that $89k for a used 2005 Elise was a bit much, even if the TVs in the headrests add value.

The other solution is to not allow ANY replies in those threads. Now that solves things, but does have a downside (or we would have done it a long time ago). MOST of the replies are positive. BUT... we are going to try this for a time. If you need to reply, as in "Dude, where is the car located? Does it have Touring Wheels?" etc... then PM the person. Just like they do in EBAY. He or she can update the thread.

Let's see how it goes....:sheep:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^^ I've seen this work on other sites, people may cry about it, but honestly if you're serious enough about buying the car, sending a PM to the seller is no big deal at all.

·
Registered
891 Posts
i think it will not work ....

Discussion can avoid troubles for buyers and sellers ..

Without discussion probably will appear new members with new created accounts that will be sell their brand new EXIGE 2008 240S for 40k $ cause of family problems ....

Off course that will be a scam and maybe somebody make a deposit as prepayment for this opportunity ..

Remember some cases on adds that after discussion discovered a salvage car or a bad wrecked car .

just my opinion ....

Cheers
Haris

PS
Sorry for my bad English but i am trying to explain what exactly i am feeling after reading this announcement .

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haris, the english is good enough to understand your good points. Let's see how it works though, but I do understand your point.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Can we get increased PM boxes to deal with that? There is nothing more annoying than to PM someone about something they have for sale that I would really like then to get a PM box is full response.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Free range chicken

^^^^ I've seen this work on other sites, people may cry about it, but honestly if you're serious enough about buying the car, sending a PM to the seller is no big deal at all.
After many months of agreeing with the extant LT policy, I think it's a waste of time for people like Randy to have to do this. And, as an ardent longtime advocate of the Austrian and Chicago school of economics, I say: Let buyers and sellers generate and use relevant info and move the prices accordingly. In other words, have at it people. If someone really wants to spend their time commenting on other people's asking prices, go for it.

Whom are we protecting here anyway? The seller can always debate the poster, and decline the sale. This is what happens in real life; you go up the vendor at the stall and say I ain't paying that much for celery.

Of course, all other modes of decorum prevail. Meaning defamatory and offtopic comments.

My 2 pence.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Everyone can see what is BS and what is not.

I think that if you limit discussion..it will do more harm than good. Saying that...I dont really think you have the option of continuing it the way it is unless you monitor it. If you cant monitor it..then you have no choice.

YOu could give it one last go...and make it a zero tolerance policy. Do anything except ask questions or comment on a false item in an ad..or if someone has something to say that is relevant to the ad...kick them off the forum.

·
Banned
874 Posts
I think it will do harm but it really doesn't matter much to me. if some1 needs help with something they can just PM me instead of posting on the thread.

I feel like this is all pointed at me:(

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
^ lol, ya think...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Can the OP reply? I'd hate to have to see 5 threads for the same ad because a guy couldn't bump his thread or update it with new info.
I'm all for trying out the concept, but because I currently 'have a dog in the fight' BM has a point, it will be tough for a seller to simply 'bump' his current thread every few days (so that it doesn't languish in the backwaters of the car for sale forum). The alternative would be to create an entirely new thread.

+1 for OP having 'bumping' rights.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Randy ,

make new moderators , that will be acting ONLY at CAR FS section.
Make also and an announcement that you will inform that for post deleting etc you can contact with them : user1 , user2 , user3 etc

If there is a bigger matter than the simples (deleting etc) the new/temporarilly mods (user1 , user2 , user3) they can contact with you for further assistance .

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Randy ,

make new moderators , that will be acting ONLY at CAR FS section.
Make also and an announcement that you will inform that for post deleting etc you can contact with them : user1 , user2 , user3 etc

If there is a bigger matter than the simples (deleting etc) the new/temporarilly mods (user1 , user2 , user3) they can contact with you for further assistance .
Great idea. :up:

On a side note, I think discussion in for sale threads is good...except when price is involved. Haggling, demeaning or otherwise devaluing cars (or other items) someone has posted is wrong and should not be tolerated. If the price is wrong, the item does not sell...simple as that.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm all for trying out the concept, but because I currently 'have a dog in the fight' BM has a point, it will be tough for a seller to simply 'bump' his current thread every few days (so that it doesn't languish in the backwaters of the car for sale forum). The alternative would be to create an entirely new thread.

+1 for OP having 'bumping' rights.

The OP can reply.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Great idea. :up:

On a side note, I think discussion in for sale threads is good...except when price is involved. Haggling, demeaning or otherwise devaluing cars (or other items) someone has posted is wrong and should not be tolerated. If the price is wrong, the item does not sell...simple as that.
exactly :up::up:

and set up users as moderators from hole over US to cover difference in time at posting...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
i think discussion in FS threads is a good thing. it gives some feedback to both the seller and potential buyers... it makes the sale feel more 'alive' rather than it having a 'stagnant' advertisement type feel (if that makes any sense). Having had my car for sale in a different threads, and now shopping for cars in threads (specifically on this site), I appreciate feedback in both circumstances. Shopping for a car, its great to have feedback from people who know more about the car than I do that might be able to point out something that i may not have noticed, or even thought to ask the seller. Just my opinion... but hey, its not my forum and I don't own a lotus, so who am I to talk.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but hey, its not my forum and I don't own a lotus, so who am I to talk.
Funny thing is... it is not my forum and I don't own a Lotus.... :)

All input is appreciated. :up:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have learned more about Lotus cars from asking questions in the for sale section than anywhere else.

Asking specific questions about the car being offered for sale should be allowed though. For an Ebay comparison, most of the time when someone asks a question, the seller opts to display the question and answer to everyone. Plus inexperienced buyers reap the benefits of other people's good questions that should always be asked such as 1) is warranty in effect, 2) any collision damage, 3) location if not stated, 4) service record, etc.

If specific questions about price or 'offers' were limited to PMs only, that would work, but 'no questions' is taking it to far imo.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts