The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me why lotus has named all there cars beginning with the letter e.? Is it a weird superstitious thing.. Did Colin chapman put it in the lotus 10 commandments lol.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
The Seven did not start with the letter E nor did the Carlton or Cortina. Just three that I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
It all started with Elan - a combination of style and vigour.
Actually started with the Type 14 Elite, which predated the Elan. And some believe it started with the Eleven, which appears more often in print as the 'Eleven' than it does '11.'

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
The Seven did not start with the letter E nor did the Carlton or Cortina. Just three that I can think of off the top of my head.
Carlton and Cortina were the model names from the brands who made those cars.

No one really knows why the company was named Lotus, let alone the E naming convention.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
From everything I've read about this question the answer was Chapman liked the way 'E' sounded for a name after the Eleven. Elite, Elan, Europa, Eclat, Esprit, / Elise, Evora. { The / means Chapman had nothing to do with name but I'm proud the owners kept with tradition.}
Only two models were made with the same name, Elite and Elan. There was the Type 14 Elite and then the 4 seater Elite. Lotus made two types of the Elan, a two seater roadster and a four seater coupe known as the ' Plus Two'.

When GM had taken control of Lotus they developed another version of the Elan.

Chapman started Lotus building racing 'kit cars' they started with numbers. Mark 6 and they all had numbers until the creation of the Type 14 Elite. From there every Lotus was 'designated' with the letter 'E'

There is only one person who knows the way's of his thinking... who can answer that question?

The one question that cannot seem to be answered is where the name 'Lotus' name came from and the yellow/green logo.

Robert

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Actually started with the Type 14 Elite, which predated the Elan. And some believe it started with the Eleven, which appears more often in print as the 'Eleven' than it does '11.'

It did in fact start with the Eleven.

The Eleven can be referred to in many ways. Lotus' were original named Mark Roman Numeral - Mark VI. But it became apparent that when Roman Numerals got into higher numbers the nomenclature would be cumbersome - look at the Superbowl. When the Eleven came along it was sometimes refereed to as the Mark XI, sometimes as the Mark 11, but most of the time simply as the Lotus Eleven. Chapman like the alliteration and general sound of it and it became customary to name road cars with E names starting with the Elite and then Elan. Arabic Type number coincided with the trend.

Some Lotus road cars have not started with an E, namely the Cortina, Talbot Sunbeam, and Carlton. It is obvious why. THese cars are other manufacturer cars that were modified by Lotus and kept their other manufacturer names and had Lotus added (the Cortina and Talbot Sunbeam actually have ore complex stories)

·
Registered
204 Posts

The Eleven can be referred to in many ways. Lotus' were original named Mark Roman Numeral - Mark VI. But it became apparent that when Roman Numerals got into higher numbers the nomenclature would be cumbersome - look at the Superbowl. When the Eleven came along it was sometimes refereed to as the Mark XI, sometimes as the Mark 11, but most of the time simply as the Lotus Eleven. Chapman like the alliteration and general sound of it and it became customary to name road cars with E names starting with the Elite and then Elan. Arabic Type number coincided with the trend.

Some Lotus road cars have not started with an E, namely the Cortina, Talbot Sunbeam, and Carlton. It is obvious why. THese cars are other manufacturer cars that were modified by Lotus and kept their other manufacturer names and had Lotus added (the Cortina and Talbot Sunbeam actually have ore complex stories)
Exactly what he said. Chapman liked the way "Lotus Eleven" rolled off the tongue, and after that every car model started with E. :UK:

·
Registered
321 Posts
The one question that cannot seem to be answered is where the name 'Lotus' name came from and the yellow/green logo.
Until the late 60s the F1 teams use their assigned national colors. Lotus used the standard of British racing green until the sponsorship liveries. I have no thoughts on the yellow but it makes a nice contrast with the green.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Until the late 60s the F1 teams use their assigned national colors. Lotus used the standard of British racing green until the sponsorship liveries. I have no thoughts on the yellow but it makes a nice contrast with the green.
That is correct. British Racing Green is called that for a reason. But there is no standard BRG. SOme team like British Racing Partnership used a light pea green, but most others Lotus, Cooper, Vanwall, Brabham, BRM used a dark green. Team would often use a color accent to differentiate from other BRG teams. BRM used orange, Braham used Gold. Team Lotus used yellow.

At first the Team Lotus cars were BRG and had a simple pinstripe along the shoulder of the body. When they went to INDY and saw the garish liveries of the majority of cars they changed to the broad yellow stripe down the middle (which was more visible as well).

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Only two models were made with the same name, Elite and Elan. There was the Type 14 Elite and then the 4 seater Elite. Lotus made two types of the Elan, a two seater roadster and a four seater coupe known as the ' Plus Two'.

Robert
Actually, there were two Europas as well. The latter never made it to the U.S., so it isn't typically on our radar.

·
Premium Member
7,570 Posts

Even the "DEAD" knew that. Wonder if St Stephen drove an Eleven??:shrug:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts