The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Carsick when tracking Evora?

3K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  Vantage 
#1 ·
I have an Evora 400 which I got primarily for city driving, but also to throw in some track time. I did a short 10 minute track run in a BMW recently and got extremely nauseous and car sick which lasted for hours. Has anyone experienced this, or have any solutions? I know there are patches that may help with this, but I am hesitant to try because of the commitment and work it takes for a track a day.

#3 ·
#7 ·
As alluded to by previous posters, if you were a passenger it typically worsen carsickness a lot. The track layout also contributes to this, especially if there are elevation changes that block the view of the track so that you don't know where the car will be going next.

I suffer from motion sickness quite a bit. I'm okay with street driving, but as a passenger, even on the street, I can't do anything other than look at the road, otherwise I'll get carsick pretty quickly.
Long stints of twisties/canyon carving will also get me a little carsick. I started taking anti-nausea pills for the twisties and that helped me.
I've done a few track days since then as well, taking one pill in the morning and I didn't suffer from carsickness at all, including during a tight autocross session in one of the HPDEs.

Other than that, the biggest tip for carsickness (and for driving in general) is to look as far forward as you can. If you focus your eyes on the road right in front of the car it will make carsickness much worse.

#9 ·
Other than that, the biggest tip for carsickness (and for driving in general) is to look as far forward as you can. If you focus your eyes on the road right in front of the car it will make carsickness much worse.
Yep, this is what worked for me when I used to go to sea on research ships. I would have motion sickness for the first 1-2 days, and that was even with the patch. They ship's crew told me to go outside and look at the horizon.

#17 ·
Just like on a boat look beyond the horizon and it will subside!

#18 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear that after a short session driving. Eat well, hydrate and as others have said look as far ahead as you can. Knowing the track well might help too. Does this happen with normal driving or riding with someone and reading, rollercoasters, go-karts, or VR? Just trying to think of a few things to test and then try a patch or similar before you sign up for a track day and only get a few minutes out of it.

#19 ·
Unless there's an underlying medical condition, I'd have to agree that it's going to be a track vision issue.

Not looking far enough down the track is a top five (of higher) problem for beginner or even intermediate drivers who haven't been coached up enough.

A few thoughts:

What's directly in front of you is basically of no concern to you. You can't do anything about it. It's already past by the time you could react. You should be spotting your turn in point, then immediately looking for the apex and before you've reached the apex your eyes immediately start looking for the end of track out. Then once you're committed to that line, it's eyes way down the track. Look for flags. Check your mirrors. Then look waaaaaay down toward the next turn in.

The front end of you car shouldn't even really be in your peripheral vision.

If you've got another car in front of you, try to look through and around the car. You don't need to stare at it.

There's a lot that can done with a good instructor in the car. They're going to watch your eyes and where your helmet is pointing. Making corrections and suggestions as needed.

Another thing, and it's something that I struggled with, is the size of the eye port on your helmet. In an enclosed sports car, BIGGER is always better.

Nobody is immune from motion sickness. It just takes the right (wrong) circumstances. Sometimes it's the track. Circuits like Shenandoah and Barber can be brutal on the body and mind. They're the exact opposite of COTA, where you've got big open spaces, and barely any cresting turns.

Sometimes it's the car. I've had physical sickness two times in hundreds of days. Once was doing a check ride in a RHD S1 Exige. There was a petty bar going across my chest and the car was on Yoko slicks. It was brutal.
And the was instructing a student in a RHD Fisher Fury kit car with a Hayabusa powerplant. Sensory overload. Actually puked after one session.

Heat and dehydration will make you sick, too. And it's hard to recover from that. Also exhaust leaks can be seriously dangerous.

Eat small snacks or meals and stay away from the heavy sugar drinks.

#21 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: This is what works for me, you may find it helps you.
All the advice regarding looking far ahead and at the horizon is valid, but some folks are simply going to get motion sick when driving and even more so when they are a passenger on the track. It’s an inner ear thing, and after you have acknowledged that you are prone to it (I’ve been getting car sick since a little kid), there is a decent over-the-counter medicine that you can try. It’s helped me on the ocean, on the track, and in the air what I was in the back of C-130s and C-17s experiencing combat landings in the desert (CCATT doc).

Meclizine (Bonine) is available at most pharmacies over the counter. It’s mildly sedating (but less so than dramamine for me). I start the morning with a half tab about an hour before track time, then another half at lunch. If you’re a 200lb dude, a full tab probably won’t make you too sleepy. You could always test how it works by spending a day with your kids at a go kart track and see if you get sick.
Also, like others have already mentioned: avoid getting dehydrated.

#25 ·
Disclaimer: This is what works for me, you may find it helps you.
All the advice regarding looking far ahead and at the horizon is valid, but some folks are simply going to get motion sick when driving and even more so when they are a passenger on the track. It’s a middle ear thing, and after you have acknowledged that you are prone to it (I’ve been getting car sick since a little kid), there is a decent over-the-counter medicine that you can try. It’s helped me on the ocean, on the track, and in the air what I was in the back of C-130s and C-17s experiencing combat landings in the desert (CCATT doc).

Meclizine (Bonine) is available at most pharmacies over the counter. It’s mildly sedating (but less so than dramamine for me). I start the morning with a half tab about an hour before track time, then another half at lunch. If you’re a 200lb dude, a full tab probably won’t make you too sleepy. You could always test how it works by spending a day with your kids at a go kart track and see if you get sick.
Also, like others have already mentioned: avoid getting dehydrated.
Thank you! Good to hear I'm not the only one this has happened to.

#22 ·
Scopolamine patch or meclizine tabs are vestibular suppressant medications and can help in this scenario. If you have a sensitive vestibular system, they turn down the dial a bit.

Drowsiness, dry mouth, or urinary retention particularly if you are elderly would be the side effects to be aware of.

#23 ·
I hadn’t ever experienced motion sickness until my son got a VR headset. Only took a few minutes to get extremely nauseous. I happened to be listening to Spikes car radio a few days later and he mentioned the Reliefband to help with what you are describing. I figured I’d give it a shot because the VR racing was amazing for the five minutes I got to enjoy it. I got the Premier, but I think they all do the same thing. I can use the VR headset now without any problems now. Might be worth a shot.

#27 ·
I tend to get it as a passenger but not as a driver. If I do a lot of driving, I can kind of get a tight stomach feeling but it does not generally progress from there.

One of your concerns is not wanting to commit to events or spend the money without knowing if you will get sick. I have a suggestion. Test your 'cures' out at the go-kart track. A good karting place will throw you around more than a track day and will let you know if you are on the right track with treatments before spending large dollars to for car events.

Good luck!

#32 ·
I wouldn’t want to take any meds for a track day. Hard to say how they could affect you, often times they kinda dull peoples senses…. Thus people can have a sluggish/delayed response to things, not catching quick enough if the back steps out etc… if you go the meds route, possibly try them first in the safety of your home to ensure they are no side effects. I have a ton of allergies, so I stay away from meds.

ginger pills help, a natural way to help nausea

I think relaxing, stay calm at keep your heart rate down can help. As stated look far ahead, not just in front of your car…. Relax…. Hydrate.. that can be a huge issue for people, especially if it’s hot where you are.

and yes, keep the windows down!

#35 ·
It happened to me once too. I was embarrassed but we put slicks on our '08 Z06 and created a monster. I was so focused on keeping myself in the seat and being an open track day I was following cars much slower than me so I was "short focused" versus looking forward and it set in. I do think there are some pills you can take but best solution is to keep looking ahead.

#36 ·
Sedatives for a track day...YIKES! If I ever found out a student had taken anything that could dull their awareness I'd be out of the car running!!!
Much of this has to do with looking upward and outward instead of at the bumper in front of you

Reactions: StressCraxx
#37 ·
I always feel a very small sick feeling as a passenger but usually not as a driver. As a pilot I used to get sick when I first started flying; and then again later when I first started instruments. Honestly the best way to cure motion sickness is to subject yourself to it. It can be a very off-putting feeling at first but it will eventually go away!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.