The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The steering on my relatively new (rear-wheel drive) car hasn't impressed me, especially on the highway. Since you guys are into racing and auto-x, I figured you might be able to "steer" me in the right direction (ugh) as to what might be wrong. Here are the symptoms:

There are no steering wheel angle issues - the wheel is straight when driving straight. At highway speeds, the steering is a bit numb on-center. In addition, the car requires constant minor corrections to stay on course. At highway speed the steering seems a bit too sensitive, almost overreacting to slight inputs despite the numb on-center feel. Also, the wheel has very little interest in coming back to center after completing a turn.

My first thought is that the wheels might be toe'd-out (I assume on a sporty car, wheels are toe'd-in if anything). Is caster angle even adjustable if it's to blame?

Anyone care to share opinions before I take the car in for attention?

EDIT: The car in question is not an Elise, by the way...

·
Registered
985 Posts
What is your goal with the car? Straight line highway or twisties! You probably have zero toe or toe out from your description. How do you like it in the corners?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is fine in a steady-state turn, but it doesn't handle transitions well. When a steering input is given, the car kinda darts into the turn, and then wants to turn further/sharper on its own. More than anything, I just want the car to behave a little better on the highway than some over-boosted Buick from the 70's.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
I assume on a sporty car, wheels are toe'd-in if anything
Anyone care to share opinions before I take the car in for attention?

EDIT: The car in question is not an Elise, by the way...
hope this helps;
on both my race cars i set the toe up front to be 1/16 OUT, and about the same toe IN on the rear axle.

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
So what kind of car is it? You can always take it to a reputable alignment shop and just tell them to "fix it" :D

Almost all racecars run toe-OUT in the front for better turn in. I have the toe at a relatively aggressive 1/8 out (total) on the Elise. I run max camber in front and -1.5 degrees in the rear. The rear on my Elise has 1/16 toe-in to allow it to rotate but still have some stability.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm almost afraid to say since the last guy that got one got picked on. :D

The car is a Hyundai Genesis Coupe (V-6 with an auto tranny). I think it's a hell of a good car. I'll say up-front though: if it falls apart or I have a bad experience with Hyundai, I'll certainly pass my experiences along.

I hate a car that tramlines or requires constant correction to go straight. I like a car that "wants to go straight"; I remember a sporty car from my youth in which the steering wheel spun back to center by just letting go (had great on-center feel too). For all I know, this kind of steering sucks, but it's always been how I judge others since.

For the record, I loved the steering in the Elise.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I will start this post with a reference to the "how, why, who, what, where" about me. I used to work @ a small shop here in midland called "The Alignment shop". original name I know. basically I did all sorts of brake and suspension alterations and repairs.

tires can have a role in strange highway activity. both pressure and compound/tread style. As can Alignment, and some "less adjustable suspension angles"

Also depending on the car and its power steering system you can have a "dead feeling"...incredibly common (drive a cadilac if you doubt that.)

Having said that check the tire pressure

Alignment. have it checked. I have no idea on the adjustability of that car from the factory (I've been out of the suspension business for 5yrs)

Increasing caster will typically make the car "want to go straight". but there is a fine line.

Toe has so many effects on tire wear it should be left very near center for a street only car. see manufacturers recommendation and go from there.

Camber. mainly effects cornering. too much can wear on tires but it take a long time (when compared to toe)

I would also suggest going on the boards that are for that car. There might be some info there regarding alignments....But I am afraid they might be worthless like the Scion tC boards I went on when my wife drove one of those.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Not having enough caster would be the primary suspect for not having any self-centering tendency. Other things can be factors, but caster is the head honcho in that department.

xtn

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, Ben (and xtn). This is the kind of basic stuff I'm looking for, since I'm not too good at describing what I'm experiencing.

If I can, I'm going to test drive another Genesis Coupe at one of my local dealers to see if it's any different. The problem with this, though, is there aren't that many of the car in my area.

My hope is that the alignment on my car is simply out of spec and can be easily corrected.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks for the info, Ben (and xtn). This is the kind of basic stuff I'm looking for, since I'm not too good at describing what I'm experiencing.

If I can, I'm going to test drive another Genesis Coupe at one of my local dealers to see if it's any different. The problem with this, though, is there aren't that many of the car in my area.

My hope is that the alignment on my car is simply out of spec and can be easily corrected.
It wouldn't surprise me if it was a bit off. You'd be shocked at the numbers I regularly saw on 02ish Chevy trucks and tahoes. (hey I live in Texas, land of morons in massive trucks)... They'd destroy tires in a few thousand miles brand new!!! so yeah definitely get it checked, but not @ the Dealer. I've seen lots of lies come from dealers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts