The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm giving some thought to turning my Elise into a track-only toy and not driving it on the street. If I go that route, I'd strip out some weight and would make some other changes appropriate for its more-focused track-only role. One option would be to remove the catalytic converter. My only concern about removing the cat is that I'd prefer not to have the CEL illuminated all the time in the event that non-cat related error codes are thrown.

Does anyone know whether there are any electronic gizmo's made for the 2ZZ motor that will fool the ECU into not throwing a CEL? I know that such devices are made for other motors, but I've not heard of one for our car. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Does anyone make a straight-pipe that'll mate to the stock header/exhaust?

Thanks for your help,
Twin

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
2bular makes a decat for the stock header. You could have the CEL prevented from displaying, but you'll have to have your ECU reprogrammed.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so the straightpipe is available from a known vendor, but when I read through the Mil Mod thread, it wasn't clear to me if this solution actually works, long term. Has anyone done it, tracked their car regularly, and never seen a check engine light come on?

Thanks Shay3nak and Icedog!
Twin

·
Registered
980 Posts
After some research I will be trying this http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f154/mil-mod-20403/ I figure for the $5 investment and availability I will try it.

Chris

Okay, so the straightpipe is available from a known vendor, but when I read through the Mil Mod thread, it wasn't clear to me if this solution actually works, long term. Has anyone done it, tracked their car regularly, and never seen a check engine light come on?

Twin

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

Twin
No prob! Hollywood lives in my area and I know it worked for him without a problem. I would think that even if the occasional CEL came on you could always clear it with a code reader.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I was in your shoes a few years ago Twin, and it's still not really clear what the best solution is- However, I can offer that I drove my car for about a year with a racing header (no cat) and never once had a CEL- The workaround actually came with the header, and adapted the downstream sensor at 90 degrees and out of the direct exhaust flow- This is very simular to the plug defouler mod you probably ran across in your research- I suspect the 90 degree adapter that comes with the Exigemotorwerks header is simply for clearance, and that the plug defouler solution works just as well- Good luck!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to admit to being biased against using after-market ECU flashes -- I'm not willing to sacrifice longevity for a few HP, and I once spent a fortune trying to dial in an aftermarket ECU for a trackcar I once had -- but I'd be curious to learn more about Charlie's "tune". Any feedback? Phantom, what racing header did you buy and what's downstream of it? Thanks, all. I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
that's what i'm going to do. Decat + 6" GT3 go on tomorrow! :evil:
Awesome combo....Ara, you will love it!!!

I have decat + 8" GT3 - I wish it were a tad louder....

I have to admit to being biased against using after-market ECU flashes -- I'm not willing to sacrifice longevity for a few HP, and I once spent a fortune trying to dial in an aftermarket ECU for a trackcar I once had -- but I'd be curious to learn more about Charlie's "tune". Any feedback? Phantom, what racing header did you buy and what's downstream of it? Thanks, all. I appreciate the help.
Charlie has tuned more Lotus' than I've changed socks....really he has the most and trusted experience in tuning our cars.

I have BWR s/c which he originally tuned, and then added a few things (decat, 2bular exhaust, cup box), and I am dyno'g at 227 whp.
Cam changeover at around 5000 rpm.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I had no problems with Charlie's tune. The lowering of the cam changeover was worth it in itself. The power's not night-and-day, obviously, but every little bit helps. No CEL is the cherry on top.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the "Charlie tune" the result of work done by "CharlieX" on this forum? If so, I might PM him to see what he has to say. Thanks.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
I've driven around for 60 miles or so and only had the CEL come on once. 0420. Then I just clear it. It's not like it comes on and stays on ALL the time. (I thought that)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts