The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm looking at having some of the "Cat Scratches" put onto my Evora 400 that I've seen on some of the 2020 GT's. Does anyone know if these are available as factory decals or are they done with Vinyl in the aftermarket? I've talked with a few folks and they are concerned about keeping the symmetry good on doing them in Vinyl.

TIA

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
It looks like they might be painted on based on the part description: Mask Front Access Cover A710T0002F

However, it looks like an aftermarket version may be available...

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like they might be painted on based on the part description: Mask Front Access Cover A710T0002F

View attachment 1261795

Yip, i just got confirmation from dealer that they are painted. Apparently, there may be a stencil available to assist.
Appreciate your investigation! I'll contact some of the other options in the link you sent. Thanks again 2011 CO!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I have them in tape being just a little wider and they look great but if you want them to stay down especially on the ends then I suggest putting PPF on top.

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
878 Posts
Soooooooo that didn’t end up happening. I was informed that it would be quite the challenge to get the curve right, especially when making the pieces and shipping them out for me (an amateur) to stick them to my car. I likely would have messed them up. I was going to find a local shop now that I live in a populated town. I just need to get my car from out of state storage and for this world lockdown to end. I’ll post if I get some cat scratches applied.

BTW, factory cat scratches are painted on. And they look amazing.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be getting with a vinyl wrap pro tomorrow to get his thoughts. Will post a report afterwards.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
ehhh....

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I met with a solid professional PPF, vinyl wrap, and detailer yesterday to talk about the cat scratches. They would be extremely tough to do in vinyl. Thinness of line would make symmetry, location, and bonding difficult. Bonding could be remedied by placing PPF over top of entire area. Other issue is getting color match using Vinyl if wanting to go same color as the car.

I will not be pursuing further.

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I met with a solid professional PPF, vinyl wrap, and detailer yesterday to talk about the cat scratches. They would be extremely tough to do in vinyl. Thinness of line would make symmetry, location, and bonding difficult. Bonding could be remedied by placing PPF over top of entire area. Other issue is getting color match using Vinyl if wanting to go same color as the car.

I will not be pursuing further.

As a last attempt, I would try Keith at Chuforia graphics:
He created my wing end plates based on a photo I sent him years ago (that he now stocks as an image). He also did graphics for one of my boats based on my design which came out awesome. He used to pop up frequently on LT, but I haven't seen anything from him in a while.

I do not have a vinyl printer, but I don't see why using a physical pattern (or maybe even ShadowWulf369's photo above coupled with actual front hatch measurements), an "overall decal" with the cat scratches already cut in the vinyl can't be made. What I mean is that an overall decal would be cut to fit the top of the front hatch cover and applied. Then, the vinyl would be immediately reverse weeded to remove 99% of the decal and only leave the cat scratches behind. When the design is created in the computer, proper location, spacing and symmetry would be kept. They would be just as secure as any other thin pinstriping on a car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts