The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys looks like one of my cats is going out on my 2000 Esprit and am now looking at replacing them before my emissions come due in August. I was wondering if anyone as some advice on what they have done since the originals if you can even find them are very expensive. I was looking at PNM's ESPRIT V8 200 CPSI SPORTS CATS (STAINLESS STEEL) and JAE's after markets ones. Any info here would be great. Thanks. Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Daily Driver. Good news... maybe. I live in Colorado last time I was in 2 years ago as long as the CEL was out and the OBM reader was showing the required items as ready they then put you on the test with the rollers and test your exhaust, not sure if the sports cats would pass this. I think they would but I hoping someone would know. Not sure if there is really a big difference in the sports cats or not. Thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I haven't yet experienced any problems with the original stock cats on my 2003 V8 center-exit system (believe they are the same cats) but I know the day may come. Also am interested in the options available and results with upgrading to a 200 cell cat. I can't think but that it would noticeably improve the flow, performance, and the sound :cool: by replacing restrictive OEM cats which I think are 400 cell.

The PNM cats look beautiful but I know they are pricey and shipping cost from UK is a non-value-added annoyance. Although the end result may be worth it.

I think another viable option would be to have a local shop fabricate a set of pipes with aftermarket performance cats readily available on the internet. Thankfully our Esprit V8 exhaust is a pretty simple affair so it shouldn't be difficult especially if they have your stock system to pattern on. Only tricky part is the ball/socket ends of the pipes and clamps which it seems are rarely if ever used nowadays, but adapters are availabile. I did have a local fabrication shop give me a ballpark price for straightpipes which was favorable (about 1/2) compared to vendors. In any case I would recommend sticking with stainless steel throughout.

Sorry I can't offer any experience-based input but I'm rooting for you and anxious to hear the outcome.

PS: regarding the stock so-called "muffler," which is really a resonator, I think it could be replaced by straight pipes with nothing to lose but 35lb or so (Colin would approve). Yesterday I was parked next to a 2000 Esprit V8 with stock cats and straight pipes, no muffler, so I took the opportunity to compare exhaust notes. The 2000 tone was slightly deeper and it seemed like I could almost hear the individual cylinders firing at idle (overactive imagination?) but it was no louder than my 2003 stock system. That car had just visited Ralph's shop so I expect it was in good running order. Guess I don't know what the noise level at highway speed is like but I expect it's fine, I know the stock system is perfectly comfortable in cruising.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have run both the stock cats and the replacement ones I believe you are speaking of. With the replacement (non OEM) cats everything operated as expected. No CELs and no other issues. Worked well. I have an old HeathKit exhaust tester I have had and used for decades. It is primitive but did indicate both cats seemed very close after comparison measurements.

Edit: Ooops. Just looked at the cats in your link. Those are not the ones I have tried. Mine were others acquired from JAE long ago. I don't know if they are still selling them but they sure were pretty looking. Pretty enough to catch the eye of the inspector really fast.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Another 200 cell hi flow cat option from PUK. Believe they are in Germany?

PUK claims 15-20-hp and 23 lb/ft torque boost, doesn't seem unreasonable. They are saying the OEM cats are actually 600 cell which is worse than I thought 🤯.

Gorgeous workmanship but again pricey.

Somebody needs to buy this system, decide they don't care for it, then sell it to me at used part price...LOL 🤣😂

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, those due look great! 600 cells I had no idea they were that high I always assumed they were 400 at the most. These do look great I'll have to make some decisions now. Thanks, guys I'll let you know what I get and pics after there installed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have one oem cat with about 8,000 miles on it if you need it. Don't recall which side it was but can find out easily.

·
Registered
222 Posts
OEM might be a good quick stopgap measure to get through inspection, and this is a perfect example why this forum and participants are so helpful.

But for the hi flow route, wasn't sure if you had seen an earlier post (different thread) from @Esprit1. These are the results I would expect from the performance cats. Just a little "extra motivation.." 😉

·
Registered
222 Posts
OEM might be a good quick stopgap measure to get through inspection, and this is a perfect example why this forum and participants are so helpful.

But for the hi flow route, wasn't sure if you had seen an earlier post (different thread) from @Esprit1. These are the results I would expect from the performance cats. Just a little "extra motivation.." 😉

Oops, too quick on the post button. Now I read closer he actually has cat delete, here's a partial quote:

"So get this......no muffler at all 36 + pounds saved and no Cats, just straight thru. The turbos muffle the exhaust sound.......for the most part until you get on it, but I am telling you this unleashed the beast. The turbos spool up super quick and it sounds great without sounding too loud. The guy down the street has a 570s McLaren and his son and him say that this sounds way better.....very nasty under full throttle."

Sorry for any confusion. I still think the 200-cell cat should get something close to this result, hopefully someone will prove me right (note: I am very free with spending other people's money 😂).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, guys for all your help this is great info. After getting off the phone here a little bit ago with JAE I decided to go with the last pair they had. It's an aftermarket one as well. Once I get it in and installed I'll take pics and info on them. It should be all done sometime next week.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the pics of my old cats. The left one (drivers side) has no cells at all the right one was rattling a lot at startup now I know why. New ones are in and they look great! A lot more sleek looking than the original ones. Emmisions test all done so ready to hit the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys looks like one of my cats is going out on my 2000 Esprit and am now looking at replacing them before my emissions come due in August. I was wondering if anyone as some advice on what they have done since the originals if you can even find them are very expensive. I was looking at PNM's ESPRIT V8 200 CPSI SPORTS CATS (STAINLESS STEEL) and JAE's after markets ones. Any info here would be great. Thanks. Paul
I've got a pair of cats off a 01 V8 f/s, take offs. In CT will ship, if needed. $800/pr [email protected]

·
Car Adicted
250 Posts
You can take the old cats and gut them out for off road use and you will really liven up the car. No cell if you put the O2 spacers in and the sound is fantastic.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Depends on your State. If it's California you are pretty much doomed with anything but the actual Lotus cats.
Which you install for your test and then duly remove and replace with a straight down pipe until your next test. Of course something I would NEVER do since I’m so respectful of our state’s well thought out and completely reasonable smog laws. 😇

Reactions: Esprit1
1 - 16 of 16 Posts