The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching Catamarans..... I really seem to like the Hobie Tiger...but I'm wondering if there is a better ( cheaper ) F18 Cat type OUT there... any input ?? I'll basically be using it for myself and possibly one other person ( Z-dculus's girlfriend.....but don't tell him !! rotfl )...but I want something FAST; Lotus like.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Excuse me for asking a really stupid question but where can you sail these? Only on lakes or can you actually take them out on the ocean? I mean can they handle swells etc?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hard to beat a Hobie 18 for ease of use and beach launches through heavy surf.

You may want to google thebeachcats.com (I think that's the website?)

take a look at the Nacra Uni and the Prindle stuff, too. There's a lot of great and fast cats out there for dirt cheap. I had a Hobie 16 while I was in the Navy, and I donated it to charity when I moved out to the west coast.

I've been aching for another one for quite some time now.

Unless you're looking to sail only as a team, I wouldn't go for anything larger than the 18s, though. As it is, an 18 can be quite a handful in choppy sea and high wind, if you're solo.

Also, for a novice, I'd say to look at something like a hobie that doesn't have daggerboards to mess with when you're singlehanded, and is pretty easy to get the hang of.

I am obviously a big fan of the Hobie 16, mainly because it's small enough to be agile and fast, and easy to run singlehanded. It's also big enough to have a jibsail, and you can even set up a spinnaker rig if you want to buy the gear. It's easy to trailer behind a car, and you can launch through the surf. There's also a lot of them out there, so parts are plentiful, and they're dirt cheap. You can find a really nice Hobie 16 for under 3K. Pay close attention to the condition of the hulls and the running gear. Overhauling a boat gets expensive fast.

Cade

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Yeah, what Motorcade said.

I just sold my Hobie 18 last year. If I were spending most of my time sailing alone, I would probably get a Hobie 16. Don't even consider the 14, too small and no jib.

The 18 is still a possibility. The Prindles and Nacras are excellent boats, as well. You may find the 18 too much to handle for solo ventures.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
...but I want something FAST; Lotus like.
Ha... I just said this several days ago when also talking about sailboats. We currently have an Island Packet (larger cruising boat). I went sailing this past Wednesday and was thinking, this just isn't fitting for a Lotus owner. So the past few days I have been researching large, but light trimarans (Corsairs and the like).

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I have a Hobie 16. Like rugby and track days...I am passionate about sailing as well. The Hobie 18 is a great boat! I'd caution you to stay away from a Sol Cat or anything else kinda off brand from Hobie as parts are not as easy to get. If you are looking to get into serious racing, the other EXPENSIVE option is an A-Cat. This is a cat on steroids...20 foot, carbon fiber mast, rudders, kevlar sails. Looking close to $35K-$40K. I like the simplicity of The Hobie and there are plenty of sailing clubs and regattas to attend. Smaller budget racing...Hobie 16, 18 or for a solo sailor the 17.:D

Pictures! 311 - Copy.jpg

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input folks !!!! I went to a dealer yesterday and scoped out a bunch of cats...... and while I really LOVE the Tiger 18....I think a 16 will be perfect. New they're about 10 K.... I'd like to find a used one ( that's NOT 20 or 30 years old ! ) for about half of that.... maybe I'll wait till winter when noone wants theirs anymore :)

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
can't really go wrong with a 16.;)

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been looking at the Hobie 16 and the Getaway...... my wife kinda likes the getaway, but I don't think it'll be that fast. It looks to be more of a "cruiser"...... does anyone have any speed comparisons ??

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Been looking at the Hobie 16 and the Getaway...... my wife kinda likes the getaway, but I don't think it'll be that fast. It looks to be more of a "cruiser"...... does anyone have any speed comparisons ??
Not sure as to the Getaway...but I will say the Hobie 16 is very much like an "Elise for the water". Very, very fast boats.:evil:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How fast IS the 16 ?? noone seems to know.. :shrug:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Decades ago when one of my prof's sailed it went like this:

Hobie: easy to get.
G-Cat: faster, more expensive.
NACRA 5.2: fastest cats on the lake.

We watched three of them turn a corner in a race and they sorted out exactly in that order.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
If you want real speed under sail power alone, there's a hobie trifoiler on ebay right now. Last I checked the bidding it was at about 10k.

They have a nice little video of one in action, too.

Cade

PS... imho, I don't consider the trifoilers 'real' sailing. There's something special about the first time you fly a hull on a cat.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
There's something special about the first time you fly a hull on a cat.
I was a windsurfing instructor in college and since then have had the opportunity to sail all kinds of crafts, big and small. Flying a hull on a catamaran is an adventure unlike any other sailing experience. :coolnana:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Decades ago when one of my prof's sailed it went like this:

Hobie: easy to get.
G-Cat: faster, more expensive.
NACRA 5.2: fastest cats on the lake.

We watched three of them turn a corner in a race and they sorted out exactly in that order.
That's pretty accurate. The hobie is still my recommend for the kind of sailing he's going to do. Those Nacras are a tough rig to sail singlehanded. Plus, the Hobie is so affordable that you can really learn on it and treat it rough and not feel bad, which can also come in handy if you like to just drag it up the beach somewhere and camp for the night.

Cade

1 - 20 of 38 Posts