The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just supercharged my elise/exige hybrid with the Oem mp62 and noticed at idle it has a good amount of positive crank case pressure or blow by coming out of the oil cap. It looks like it also pushed the dipstick tube up a bit and the valve cover gasket which is brand new might be seeping a bit of oil. I’ve been reading a bit and it seems like most people run catch cans on the supercharged cars but is it really needed for all cars or is mine just having more blow by than most? Besides this the whole setup has been solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2,037 Posts
My REV300 came with one. All that I have seen have had cans.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I put in a Saikou Michi setup probably a year after I bought my S. Reaching the drain cock was a PITA, but it was definitely doing its job.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My REV300 came with one. All that I have seen have had cans.
Sounds like I do need it. The next question is would I be good to temporarily just cap off the bigger line that goes to the throttle body and then run a little filter to catch the oil off the valve cover till I get one?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
absolutely if you are adding positive pressure.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
FYI - I'm running a dual catch can setup. One used for the large diameter two way (no check valve) from valve cover to throttle body. The other is used for the PCV (one-way valve) from the smaller valve cover opening to the manifold (pre-throttle body). The latter is the one that collects oil.
I would suggest getting it fixed the right way as soon as practical.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys just ordered
The boe vented can so should be seeing that soon. Works out best for me because it seems like the most proven solution and I don’t have emissions testing

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from my first small track session and UMC and the oil dipstick was popping out after a few laps from what I’m assuming is too much blow by pressure? I have BOE vented can installed and just got the block off plates from the vent pipe I’m going to install but I’m not sure if they will help the problem. I also noticed the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals are getting some leakage too and they’re brand new so it definitely sounds like a crank case pressure problem. Any ideas?

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
In all seriousness, prior to installing the drysump, I used only of my wife's hair ties to loop over the dipstick and hold it down. There may be some positive pressure combined with vibration causing it to loosen up. All engines will have some crank case pressurization, though with a good catch can, I would suspect it would be fairly manageable. Until the compression loss gets crazy, I would manage the symptoms.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
FYI - I'm running a dual catch can setup. One used for the large diameter two way (no check valve) from valve cover to throttle body. The other is used for the PCV (one-way valve) from the smaller valve cover opening to the manifold (pre-throttle body). The latter is the one that collects oil.
I would suggest getting it fixed the right way as soon as practical.
Just checking: by "pre-throttle body" you mean looking upstream from the engine, right? I usually call that post-TB looking towards the engine. Unless you have a non-standard setup (and one that would put a hell of a vacuum on the crank case off-throttle)?

The catch can (in a standard closed system) gets most of the oil (I think) because when off-throttle, there is a potent vacuum engine-side of the TB (drives the brake booster too) which pulls air from under the valve cover, with excess (make-up) air coming from the intake-side of the TB (low pressure) via the valve-cover. Any oil kicking around up there will be sucked out rather violently hence filling that lower catch can faster.

For the record: I run the BOE open-loop catch can from the larger/upper valve-cover vent. I also run that narrower port (with check valve removed) to the low-vacuum intake-side of the TB via a small catch can (just as some extra negative pressure on full-throttle).

And for what it is worth, I have left the controversial vent tube #1 in place. The diagram here also shows the PCV routing: Toyota OEM Vent Tube Gasket (top) - 2ZZ-GE

Like @fzust, I zip-tie the dipstick in place...

The photo below is not the custom setup I describe above, but a stock NA car with Inokinetic QWK-cans, installed, I believe, correctly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In all seriousness, prior to installing the drysump, I used only of my wife's hair ties to loop over the dipstick and hold it down. There may be some positive pressure combined with vibration causing it to loosen up. All engines will have some crank case pressurization, though with a good catch can, I would suspect it would be fairly manageable. Until the compression loss gets crazy, I would manage the symptoms.
I can probably manage the dipstick with something like that but what about it trying to push oil past the valve cover gasket? I didn’t check the catch can go see if it’s full but I don’t see why it would be after 2 weeks of street driving and an hour of track driving

·
He's on fire!
3,286 Posts
hey does anyone know what sort of connectors those are to the catch cans? I've got the hoses right on mine and that looks like a cool idea for disconnecting it.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
hey does anyone know what sort of connectors those are to the catch cans? I've got the hoses right on mine and that looks like a cool idea for disconnecting it.
Those connectors came with the kit. Check with Inokinetic to see if they will sell them to you.
Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Just checking: by "pre-throttle body" you mean looking upstream from the engine, right? I usually call that post-TB looking towards the engine. Unless you have a non-standard setup (and one that would put a hell of a vacuum on the crank case off-throttle)?

The catch can (in a standard closed system) gets most of the oil (I think) because when off-throttle, there is a potent vacuum engine-side of the TB (drives the brake booster too) which pulls air from under the valve cover, with excess (make-up) air coming from the intake-side of the TB (low pressure) via the valve-cover. Any oil kicking around up there will be sucked out rather violently hence filling that lower catch can faster.

For the record: I run the BOE open-loop catch can from the larger/upper valve-cover vent. I also run that narrower port (with check valve removed) to the low-vacuum intake-side of the TB via a small catch can (just as some extra negative pressure on full-throttle).

And for what it is worth, I have left the controversial vent tube #1 in place. The diagram here also shows the PCV routing: Toyota OEM Vent Tube Gasket (top) - 2ZZ-GE

Like @fzust, I zip-tie the dipstick in place...

The photo below is not the custom setup I describe above, but a stock NA car with Inokinetic QWK-cans, installed, I believe, correctly.

View attachment 1269285
Now that you posted a picture no need for pre and post reference. Looking at the one on the left side, that's how mine is connected (before throttle blade) The other one on the right side goes behind the throttle body blade. It's hard to follow the routing in the picture but I'm pretty sure you have it right.
I just went out and checked mine after two track events with the Rev 400. I have little dipsticks in each of my catch cans so I can easily check. Once again, the one on the left doesn't register any oil at all while the one on the right reads ~.125. Even when I had the M45 is was the same usage.

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Yes, it is a bit hard to see but the lower/RH can serves the RH port in the valve cover (with check valve) and runs to the high-vacuum port on the TB, almost under the injector cover (upper on the photo). The upper/LH can serves the LH port in the valve cover (bigger diameter) and runs to the low-vacuum port on the TB.

When I ran this arrangement, I also got most oil in the lower can. I theorise that this is simply oil sucked out of the head-space and not a result of blow-by. Which is why you really want a catch can on that port, even on an NA car.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have a video on this. See for yourself :

Reactions: glemmons

·
Premium Member
2008 Lotus Elise SC and 2018 Alfa Romeo 4C
849 Posts
I don't track my car and my catch cans are basically empty after driving on them 2000 miles. My Else has a factory SC and I drive it aggressively when I take it out. I don't think you need them unless you have massive HP or you track your car often.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The thing about lotus catch cans is they are VERY needed if you have a long 1.5g+ right hander in your life. Less if not. If you have an actual fast track car I should 100% run cans and relocate the valve cover pickup

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The thing about lotus catch cans is they are VERY needed if you have a long 1.5g+ right hander in your life. Less if not. If you have an actual fast track car I should 100% run cans and relocate the valve cover pickup
What do you mean by relocate valve cover pickup? Are you talking about the delete plates for that pipe that crosses over the supercharger?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts