The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
In terms of reliability I don't think the Rover would be a good choice, in the R500 Caterham with 230hp the engine is good for 5 -10K miles before a rebuild. It is really at it's limit in the mid 200 hp range.
I had a ride an a Caterham R500 and it was unbelievable, the claim of 0 - 60 in 3.5 seconds seems understated according to my built in accelarameter. The handling and power to weight of the R500 is amazing for a street legal (at least street legal in the UK) car. The R500 refers to the fact that this car has 500hp per ton of weight, how many cars have that? So I guess the R600 is 600hp per ton?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey James,

Did'nt know about the rebuild aspect, but that makes sense when you look at the fact that an engine originally designed to put out 118 hp is now putting out 250!

Jim

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yea there are a number of R500 owners on the Lotus 7 forum out of the UK, depending on driving style the engine requires a lot of maintenance. Here is the link to Caterham and the R500, a 1.8 liter Rover K series with 230 hp!
http://www.caterham.co.uk/showroom/index.htm

Just page down on the site a little to Superlight and it's specifications. Oh, I bought a set of the magnesium wheels that come on the Superlight, 8 pounds each!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts