·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I beat :shrug:

But seriously... what a douche

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If there was camera enforcement here I'd be worse off than this girl.

Are there signs on Loop 101 notifying drivers there is camera enforcement? I can only imagine visiting Scottsdale only to find my mailbox full of tickets when I got home.

·
Registered
182 Posts
even I think 92 mph in a 55 mph zone is a tad excessive -- get her off the streets

as to cameras, I favor those that catch red light runners -- very dangerous behavior

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
even I think 92 mph in a 45 mph zone is a tad excessive -- get her off the streets

as to cameras, I favor those that catch red light runners -- very dangerous behavior
There is no mention of the speed limit on Loop 101 in that article. So um... :shrug:

·
Registered
182 Posts
typo -- meant 55 mph

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
typo -- meant 55 mph
Still wrong...

"The system is calibrated to ticket anyone traveling 76 MPH (122 km/h) or greater, as 65 MPH (105 km/h) is the predetermined speed limit." - Source

So 27mph over the limit, a bit much but I bet it's pretty easy to do with a mustang.

·
Registered
182 Posts
from The Arizona Republic --

Speed-enforcement cameras on Loop 101 through Scottsdale slow drivers down a bit, but they save motorists time in the long run because of fewer traffic-snarling crashes, says the final report from an Arizona State University traffic expert.

ASU engineering Professor Simon Washington's report calculated that northbound drivers travel the 6.5-mile stretch from Via de Ventura to 56th Street in an average of 10.8 minutes with the speed-enforcement program and an average 10.7 minutes without it.

But an accident blocking two lanes of Loop 101 would turn the same trip into one taking nearly 32 minutes, the study found. And since the speed-enforcement program cuts the number of accidents approximately in half, drivers gain time overall, the report said.
"It's a daily delay of a small amount, but you more than make up for it with fewer crashes," Washington said.

Having the cameras and reducing accidents saved 1,336 vehicle-hours a year when crashes blocked one lane and 45,060 vehicle-hours a year when crashes blocked two lanes, the report estimated.

The travel times were calculated for non-peak hours, when traffic is less congested and drivers are more able to speed. Results were similar for southbound trips.

The latest report, released last week, included details of the effect of photo enforcement on travel times.

Scottsdale commissioned the report in 2006. Washington's preliminary report, released early last year, showed that the mean speed of drivers on the camera-controlled stretch through Scottsdale dropped nearly 9 mph, to 64.4 mph during enforcement from 73.1 mph before enforcement.

The posted speed limit in that stretch is 65 mph, and the cameras are set to detect speeding at 76 mph and higher.

The report estimated that the number of accidents dropped by as much as 54 percent compared with the number of crashes expected to have occurred without the program. It also estimated that photo enforcement saved Arizonans $16.5 million to $17.1 million a year in medical costs, lost productivity and other costs because of fewer accidents.

--

However, the speed limit in many construction zones is 55 mph. The 101 has a few.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Yeah, I know. I was just wondering where you got 45 and 55 from.

I know I almost read the following to say 45mph. lol
"She was flashed 22 times in a 45-day period beginning in mid-May. The fastest speed she was clocked at in her Ford Mustang was 92 mph, according to the agency."

·
Registered
182 Posts
that's where the 45 did come from -- got stuck in the tarry substances between the ears.

one might imagine she slowed down a bit in the construction zones

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
ojars said:
The report estimated that the number of accidents dropped by as much as 54 percent compared with the number of crashes expected to have occurred without the program. It also estimated that photo enforcement saved Arizonans $16.5 million to $17.1 million a year in medical costs, lost productivity and other costs because of fewer accidents.
Interesting that they did not use past year's accident stats to justify it...notice the wording. Just another study made to say exactly what the folks paying for it wanted it to say.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Interesting that they did not use past year's accident stats to justify it...notice the wording. Just another study made to say exactly what the folks paying for it wanted it to say.
I wonder if the average speed has crept up to 75 mph in 2008.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
A former employee of mine ran through a toll booth 52 times and racked up $5,200 of tickets. The judge convicted him and sentenced him to 520 hours of community service ($10/hr). At the time, I was paying him over $50/hr. He should have done the math. rotfl

But I digress... back to the O.P..... yeah, she's dumb... so? I'd hit it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
<snip>as to cameras, I favor those that catch red light runners -- very dangerous behavior

Running a red light is very dangerous - However, it has been reported that many of these camera's cause accidents too. People will often stop short for yellow lights to avoid a ticket which causes a rear ending. Camera's have also been known to snap pictures of people who really didn't break any laws. The stories go on from there.

My personal experience with Red light camera's was when I lived in Cali. I remember seeing a guy slam on his brakes as soon as the yellow light came on - the lady driving a minivan full of kids slammed into the back of this guy. (Was she following too close? Probably) Luckily, everyone had seat belts on and no one was killed - but everyone in the accident was hurt in one way or another. I stopped to help out, as I was two cars behind the minivan - I just remember the guy saying that he had received a ticket a couple of months prior at the same intersection. He noted that the light was yellow when he crossed the line, but had turned red before he got through - he was determined not to get another ticket.

If you do a search on Pistonheads.com you'll find a lot of pissed off Brit's that have similar stories.

Personally, I think that it still takes a human in the loop to understand the a situation before a ticket is issued. I don't think that many traffic offenses are cut and dry. Of course, I don't feel that there is anything wrong with going 10-20 over the posted speed limit of 55 MPH on totally empty rural highway - so i may be the wrong person to judge.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
i dont see the big deal in her doing 10-15 over the limit (she only did 90 something once).

Cops these days need to focus on catching real criminals rather than trying to hand out tickets for doing 10-15 over the limit. If it was a residential area then i understand following the speed limit but on a freeway.....come on!!!!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
EPIC FAIL...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts