The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I for one am happy about the inclusion of a stereo. I consider music to be a integral part of spirited drivnig and frankly (unfortunately) I do more of that than track days.
In case nobody has thought of this before, I'd like to offer the following suggestion for music on road trips or daily use.
An iPod:
--It'll carry nearly 4-700 CD's
--It weighs nearly nothing
--Using a Transpod (70USD) you can mount it in the 12V socket and recharge and transmit (built in FM modulator) at the same time
--In absense of a 12V socket; you can use an iTrip (a FM modulator, cost 30USD) to transmit to the stock stereo, the battery should last about 8-9 hrs.
--It does not require any modifications or changes.
I currently use a second generation 10 Gig iPod and have had good luck with it.
I'd gladly post pictures of the my current setup (which I plan on replicating on the Elise) if anybody wants.
Cheers,

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Good idea. A better idea as compared to a CD changer.

Welcome to the forum!

P.S. We visit Topeka once a year. Blind Tiger. Baby Dolls. Etc....

·
Registered
107 Posts
One thing I found interesting was that the surrounds on the speakers on the 111s I drove were almost touching the speaker grilles. And the surrounds appeared to be foam, which is going to rot quickly in a leaky open-top car.

Certainly this car is NOT about the stereo. But I think a speaker with a rubber surround / poly cone might be a nice upgrade. Having a little clearance for the speaker to move might be cool too... perhaps something with a thinner frame to allow a couple of mm gap. I might experiment with this when I get my car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
babak said:

An iPod:
--Using a Transpod (70USD) you can mount it in the 12V socket and recharge and transmit (built in FM modulator) at the same time
--In absense of a 12V socket; you can use an iTrip (a FM modulator, cost 30USD) to transmit to the stock stereo, the battery should last about 8-9 hrs.
I've heard the FM transmitters for the iPod don't sound so good as compared to the cassette adapters. Is this true, or does it vary by manufacturer?

Also, does the Elise have a 12V outlet in it (once called a cigarette/cigar lighter, but we're trying to avoid fire allusions in SoCal these days)?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use an empeg\RioCar. Tack on the wireless bridge in my car and the tempory DCHP server... I have my own little network. I have mine upgraded to 60 gigs with another space for 1 more harddrive. Still thinking about installing it in the Elise, probably will.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I bought my girlfriend an iTrip. It's not bad but it has some build quality issues. She's on her third one now. You just had to turn the radio up pretty loud to really hear the iPod whereas you didn't have to with the cassette adapter. (Low signal input). You could tell a difference between the two but it really wasn't much. Most people (like me) won't care as long it works.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
What about using the audio input jack from one of the new MINI's? It's an optional accessory for $40 bucks, and it looks like a small panel that they bolted in, it's just got a jack in the middle of it for connecting your ipod, rio, cd player, what have you... It can't be that hard to wire in, and it looks to weigh only a few ounces. I don't know the part number, though...

Cade

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, a couple of replies here
--Randy, we should get together next time you're here, I'll be in a new house by early next year and will have more than adequate spare space for guests. As to blind tiger, ever been to Boss Hogs? Or better yet, Arthur Briant in KC (arbuably the best BBQ in the country)
--Lotus Fury: the iTrip uses the volume on the iPod as the signal stregth, you should have the volume up to about 3/4 before you tune the itrip. Furthermore, don't 'play' the FM freq more than 3 secs or it'll cycle over to the next one up.
--Andrew, the best you can hope for is FM quality (96 bps), but hey, it's an open top car, you wont miss the top quality.
The iTrip runs off the iPod internal battery so no powerjack required, it reduces the battery life to around 8hrs. The Transpod runs off the 12V socket and powers the FM transmitter and recharges the iPod through a firewire connector. I have both and like both equaly. The iTrip is a little bit more mobile and compact, so on trips (and rental cars) I use that. It also comes in handy to 'take' music with me to a friends house or a party.
--Motorcade: The iPod does have an accessory that converts the regular headphone jack to RCA's with good output. I have used this to hook it up to a reciever and use it as a digital jukebox, there is even an IR remote for it.

My intent is to use the transpod. I do so now and just leave my ipod in the car, in the summer I drape a bandana on the ipod and shifter nob to keep it out of direct sun.

Cheers,

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: Re: CD/music alternative

Andrew said:
Also, does the Elise have a 12V outlet in it (once called a cigarette/cigar lighter, but we're trying to avoid fire allusions in SoCal these days)?
There is indeed a 12V outlet located in the middle of the car near the gear stick.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
another solution that retains very high audio quality but eliminates you freely choosing your music is xm satellite radio. i am a confirmed addict after having it in a car for something approaching 18 moonths. in all that time i have probably only played CDs 3 or 4 times. and that over something like 35,000 miles of driving.

as to the sound quality of fm vs cassette adapters, i was more than a little surprised in a rental car that the sound quality using the cassette adapter was noticably better than when using an fm modulator. i think the issue lies in the freq response of fm being so limited on the high end

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The stock Blaupunkt has an auxillary input so FM vs. tape input is a moot point. Simply plug in the iPod and you have 400 CD's at your disposal. With minimal effort the playlists in iTunes can ensure a pleasant non repeating sampling of your CD collection. All without costing more than a good CD changer, without the wiring.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
babak said:
The stock Blaupunkt has an auxillary input so FM vs. tape input is a moot point.

now that is good to know. too bad i think sound quality of those ipods is crap even at best

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LotusLust said:
now that is good to know. too bad i think sound quality of those ipods is crap even at best
The sound quality of the iPod is dependant on the kbps of the MP3 it's playing, most people use 128 since they are smaller, whereas CD quality is 196. The new compression algorithm .aac that itunes uses allows for 196 kbps quality files at 128 kbps sizes. In my house I use my iPod or powerbook (on an airport network) to serve files to my reciever instead of a digital or a regular CD jukebox.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
that too is good news, babak. i'll have to check out some itunes stuff and see if i believe them

·
Registered
601 Posts
I currently have an iPod hardwired via mini to rca to my Audi S4 headunit.

Does anyone know if there is a place for rca inputs on the upgraded Blaupunkt head unit(LA model) from the touring package?

Hardwiring sounds 10x better then fm transmitter or cassette and can look much cleaner to based on actual experience.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
TOPGUN750 said:
I currently have an iPod hardwired via mini to rca to my Audi S4 headunit.

Does anyone know if there is a place for rca inputs on the upgraded Blaupunkt head unit(LA model) from the touring package?

Hardwiring sounds 10x better then fm transmitter or cassette and can look much cleaner to based on actual experience.

Thanks.
yep

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1864

·
Registered
601 Posts
I found this through a Blaupunkt dealer. For roughly $12 bucks you can get the adapter cable that plugs into the aux input of the LA(touring) headunit. It ends in a mini plug perfect for attaching to an iPod! Sound quality will blow away fm transmiter and any tape thing.

Here is the link(It is the 2nd Aux in Cable):

http://www.continentalimports.com/acc_cable_in.html

I can't wait to have the iPod - all 2700 songs and counting(8 days worth) in the elise.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is good to know, thanks. All we have to do then is rig a harness for the iPod and tuck in the wires for the 12V adaptor. The modern/art deco design of the iPod (and some of the other mp3 players) should blend in quite nicely with the aluminum finish and the dash trim.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I will probably not even wire a power source as the iPod can typically go 6 hours on a single charge from my driving experience in the S4 I just sold. Should make for an easier install too. If you need to save battery you can turn volume down on iPod while using the head unit volume to make it louder. Within reason of course to prevent feeback and background noise.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts