The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From searching the symptoms, it sounds like I am the latest victim of a CDL (Central Door Lock) module failure. Pressing either the large fob button (or the interior door locking switch) makes the lights flash and a clicking sound, but the plungers on the locks don't go down.

Sounds like several others have had similar problems that have resulted in the replacement of the CDL module. Since I'm out of warranty (an 06 Elise), I'm wondering:

1. How common is the problem?
2. Has there ever been a TSB on this?
3. How much did people pay for the part and labor?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
You could replace it yourself if you have the inclination. I have a used one for sale if you want it.
Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
285 Posts
1. How common is the problem?
2. Has there ever been a TSB on this?
3. How much did people pay for the part and labor?

1. Seems to be quite common.
2. Not that I am aware of.
3. You can buy the part from Lotus Garage for ~$80 and do it yourself. Take a look at this thread:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/door-locks-not-working-properly-72467/

You don't have to take off the entire dash like I did, unless you just like pain. Tyger managed to replace his by removing the driver's side cubby.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
From searching the symptoms, it sounds like I am the latest victim of a CDL (Central Door Lock) module failure. Pressing either the large fob button (or the interior door locking switch) makes the lights flash and a clicking sound, but the plungers on the locks don't go down.
If the interior locking switch doesnt work, it's a pretty good bet it's the CDL control unit. You should try pushing the lock posts down by hand and then see if the center console switch will make them pop up. Usually one relay goes bad before the other if its a CDL unit problem. It's better to have the locking relay fail before the unlocking one, trust me!
I ordered the part from a local dealer... around $60.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

Thanks for the input folks. I didn't really have the time (or the inclination) to dig around and replace the unit. So, I took it to the dealer. The CDL part apparently increased in price this month to $94.90. With labor, the total was $375 (ouch).

Interestingly, there was another '06 Elise in the service driveway, with exactly the same problem. Perhaps these are all programmed to fail whenever Lotus needs a little boost in revenue....:shrug: (I suggested that perhaps we all drive up to Duluth and toss the old ones on the lawn of Lotus USA, in the hopes that they will issue a TSB and replace these for free, since they fail so frequently.)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks for the input folks. I didn't really have the time (or the inclination) to dig around and replace the unit. So, I took it to the dealer. The CDL part apparently increased in price this month to $94.90. With labor, the total was $375 (ouch).
If it took them more than an hour, they don't know what they're doing.
If it took them less than an hour, that's some hourly rate!

PS
Q: Why is there no clock in the leaning tower of Pisa?
A: It has the inclination, but not the time.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it took them more than an hour, they don't know what they're doing.
If it took them less than an hour, that's some hourly rate!
Well, here in Atlanta, the dealer charges about $200 for an oil change...:shrug:

Of course, it would only be fair to note that they provide a 'free' loaner car for the trouble -- it is a Taurus with nearly 100K miles on it.:( (At least this time,I didn't have to immediately drive it up the street to put $5 of gas in it just to get home)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I can lock my doors with the fob, but when I attempt to unlock it, the lights flash, and the lock does to open. After a coat hanger and some patience, I got it open. Now when I hit the interior unlock button it does not open unlock. I can lock it thought.

CDL?

Got any for sale? Used?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I can lock my doors with the fob, but when I attempt to unlock it, the lights flash, and the lock does to open. After a coat hanger and some patience, I got it open. Now when I hit the interior unlock button it does not open unlock. I can lock it thought.

CDL?

Got any for sale? Used?
Sounds like CDL. We had the same thing happen to ours (05 Elise), clicked the remote, doors locked, click again, got the lights, the click noise, no movement on the posts. Took the coat hanger approach and got it open. Never did try the interior switch (i forget it's there 99% of the time), but replacing the CDL fixed it.

Maybe PM TheViper if he doesn't see this thread and see if he still has the used units.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
$42 is a great deal. The module isn't that hard to replace once you figure out how to get at it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts