The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up an '05 Elise from an LT member on Monday then drove about 1400 miles home without any problems. But now the check engine light comes on shortly after leaving the grocery store today...

I drove Lola (her name :)) home with no problems & have an appointment next week at our base auto shop to connect it to the computer. Other than driving in the rain today, my driving habits didn't differ from when I picked it up. I know rain shouldn't be able to get into the engine itself, but is there a flaw in the design of the "lid" that allows water to seep into the motor area?

Should I be worried? Thanks in advance for y'alls assistance!

*Note: I know it shouldn't matter as this appears to be common, but I have experienced that "gas" smell inside the cabin when driving, usually only when putting the windows down briefly.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
So I picked up an '05 Elise from an LT member on Monday then drove about 1400 miles home without any problems. But now the check engine light comes on shortly after leaving the grocery store today...

I drove Lola (her name :)) home with no problems & have an appointment next week at our base auto shop to connect it to the computer. Other than driving in the rain today, my driving habits didn't differ from when I picked it up. I know rain shouldn't be able to get into the engine itself, but is there a flaw in the design of the "lid" that allows water to seep into the motor area?

err - no. This car was designed and is widely used in England (a country not well known for its sunny days ;))

*Note: I know it shouldn't matter as this appears to be common, but I have experienced that "gas" smell inside the cabin when driving, usually only when putting the windows down briefly.
As Tracy says - check your gas cap. If it leaks you will get a CE light.

If the CE light is on constantly it is not an immediate threat. If it is flashing - don't drive!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Another water related issue is the blower motor for the interior fan. Affixed to the underside of the motor is a resistor pack that can sit it water that flows though the top hood vents. If this resistor pack fails, the blower fan will not operated and it is "very" expensive to repair, entailing removal of the front clam. Lotus had a TSB for this and it involved drilling 4 drain holes in the chassis member in precise locations.
Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
230 Posts

My '05 CE light comes on once in a while, but it is typically right after I get caught in a heavy rain. The reason my mechanic suspects is due to my cold air intake sitting directly behind the engine vents on the side, unprotected, where it gets blasted by air and rain water...eventually the water makes it's way to an o2 sensor and it trips it.
Does your car have a cold air intake? I have also heard of the air filter being over oiled, which again eventually compromises the 02 sensor by coating it in oil.
How does the car run otherwise?
Take it to Auto Zone and they can reset it for you and tell you what the code is.
Just a couple thoughts.

Andy

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. I can see I'm going to enjoy being a member of LT. Every single response was helpful. No problem with the gas cap & I'll cross my fingers about the resistor pack issue. Since the CE light isn't blinking I'll take Krug's suggestion & head to AutoZone in a bit.

Thanks RacyTracy for the link, I'll start this project soon.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Buy or borrow an OBDII reader. Then the computer can tell you why the CEL is lit.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
Is there a TSB repository somewhere in Lotustalk or elsewhere?

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Major Exhaust Leak"

According to AutoZone, the OBDII reader determined the problem to be a "Major Exhaust Leak". :wallbang:

After visiting with my local Toyota dealership, their auto tech told me it could be three things: 1) Gas Cap--checked, 2) Fuel line from gas cap to tank, or 3) charcoal canister :mad:

I'm a novice when it comes to repairs. My experience goes as far as changing the head gasket & thermostat in my old Jeep. But I am looking forward to learning more so I'll start searching LT for directions to fix the problem after the holiday weekend. I have access to a lift on base so at least I won't have to pay a shop

Question: Can I safely drive her in the meantime, or is it best to simply park it? Note, it drove fine to AutoZone & back but I suppose this explains the "gas-like" smell whenever I crack the windows with the top on.

·
Registered
780 Posts
As for this
:tadts:
Question: Can I safely drive her in the meantime, or is it best to simply park it? Note, it drove fine to AutoZone & back but I suppose this explains the "gas-like" smell whenever I crack the windows with the top on.
Please post the specific code that came up.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,770 Posts
According to AutoZone, the OBDII reader determined the problem to be a "Major Exhaust Leak". :wallbang:

After visiting with my local Toyota dealership, their auto tech told me it could be three things: 1) Gas Cap--checked, 2) Fuel line from gas cap to tank, or 3) charcoal canister :mad:

I'm a novice when it comes to repairs. My experience goes as far as changing the head gasket & thermostat in my old Jeep. But I am looking forward to learning more so I'll start searching LT for directions to fix the problem after the holiday weekend. I have access to a lift on base so at least I won't have to pay a shop

Try taking off the gas cap and putting it back on making sure it clicks like 3 times so it gets a good seal. This is very common in all sorts of cars. The gas cap may also appear to be on tight, but this is the only way to ensure it really is. Also, if that is the problem, it might take a couple of restarts to turn the light off. Hope it helps!

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pending tomorrow's weather, I'll take it back to AutoZone for the actual code. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
425 Posts
i haven't looked for this but is there a way to find the code with out a scaner? like in my car, turning the key to ON position 3 times quickly, it will display most codes..

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
P0455

P0455-Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected.

I double-checked the gas cap & reset the CEL. Hopefully it doesn't return but we'll see.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
P0455-Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected.

I double-checked the gas cap & reset the CEL. Hopefully it doesn't return but we'll see.
From the Lotus Service Manual:

P0455 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (large leak)
This code is set if during the evaporative leak check the system fails to reach the evacuation target pressure.
The system will perform additional purge checks to determine the nature of the problem. The additional purge
checks will also run if the leak check fails to complete because the calculated vapour concentration is above
the limit.
Additional Purge Check Enable Criteria:
• Vehicle not stationary
• Load between 30 – 35%
• Purge value >= 75%
Monitor: Until leak check is completed
Potential failure modes
• Fuel filler cap not fitted
• Leak from pipes or connections
• Canister Closure valve stuck open

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far so good...

Well, 2 days later & CEL hasn't returned :)

I figure it's 1 of 2 things... 1) Someone in the parking lot F'ed with my gas tank & didn't close it all the way, or 2) CEL will show up anytime now.

Assuming it wasn't the gas cap, anyone know how long I can expect the CEL to return? Or am I in the clear since I've driven it many times over the weekend without the CEL coming on?

Thanks for all y'alls help!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts