The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a CEL today and the ECU limits revs and throws a shift-up light at about 6k rpm - as if the engine is cold (but it isn't cold). I won't have an OBD2 reader until tomorrow to read the code. This occured after jump starting BTW. Is there a way to reset this without erasing the program or should I just take it to the dealer on Monday (I'm so booked it's unreal, but if I gotta do this then so be it). Car runs perfectly fine otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
I had one such incidence like you where even though the engine was at normal operating temperature the lower rpm limiter kicked in, I however did not have a CEL. After I turned off the engine and then restarted it had reverted to normal operation, maybe this will happen for you. This is the only car I have owned which acts like my PC, where rebooting is needed to bring it back to normal :shrug:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where's the OBD2 port to I can read the error code? I've seen them connected below the dash, but I'm not sure whether thats a custom connection port or oem.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Right by where your knee hits below the dash.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OBD2 reader code is P0012. I don't have Lotus error codes, but according to the OBD2 code manual:

The PCM has determined that the voltage signal from camshaft 'A' position sensor in bank 1 indicates a timing over retarded condition. Bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the oposite bank.

I take it we only have one cam sensor since we only have one bank?? The cam does switch despite the CEL. Sure would be nice to just reset things to see if it returns to this condition. My sense is that it's just a brain fart from the jump start.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
OBD2 reader code is P0012. I don't have Lotus error codes, but according to the OBD2 code manual:

The PCM has determined that the voltage signal from camshaft 'A' position sensor in bank 1 indicates a timing over retarded condition. Bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the oposite bank.

I take it we only have one cam sensor since we only have one bank?? The cam does switch despite the CEL. Sure would be nice to just reset things to see if it returns to this condition. My sense is that it's just a brain fart from the jump start.

Any ideas?
See if fuse R4 is blown.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You da man, Dave. R4 fuse was blown and replaced. THe engine is now running normally. CEL is still on, however and the OBD2 reader says P0012 still after turning car on several times. Should I look further into this? Is there a way to reset the CEL without going to the dealer?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Most all code readers will reset the MIL. If yours doesn't, go to Autozone and they'll do it for free. Glad to hear you're fixed.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
OBD2 reader code is P0012. I don't have Lotus error codes, but according to the OBD2 code manual:...
just an FYI, for anyone that get a MIL code, the easiest way to find the diagnosis (if one already exists) and a definition of the code is to take the four digit code, bracket it with "*"'s and throw it into search.

*0012* brings up several relevant threads.

good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the same problem and fix a few months ago. The CEL went off after a few days.

Speaking of fuse problems, my cabin air fan went out a few weeks ago. I checked the fuse and it looked fine and tested fine, although I noticed it had some dark discoloration under the plastic covers. I changed the fuse anyway and the fan started working again. I first noticed the fuse discoloration when debugging the "6k redline problem" above and decided to change out all the fuses. LESSON: change fuses with discolorartion even if they test fine. I guess the discoloration is an indicator of a fuse impedance increase which can also fail electrical components? Anyone have anymore insight?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Blown fuse

If you jump started your car you probably blew the fuse which controls the cam timing. It's on the firewall on the driver's side.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only fuse that was blown was R4 ECU Battery connection. I cleared the code and CEL and everything seems ok now. I'm wondering how long it takes for the CEL to recur if there is another problem. I'm a bit concerned that a cam sensor may be on the blink and I wont know it until I'm at the track on Tues or when it's too late to do something about it on Monday. How long does it take for the CEL to come on again if there is a residual problem? Timing is critical at this point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts