The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

CEL(check engine light) with 2bular exhaust system?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  niern289 
#1 ·
I am selling my 2bular headers, sport cat and straight pipe system (in the classifieds) that I had on my 2011 N/A. An excellent question was asked about any CEL issues with this system.

The only CEL issue I had was with the Radium CAI (MAF issue) but I also had the 2bular system on my car at that time. I had it shipped to Dallas and they took care of the problem.

Has anyone had an issue with CEL and 2bular system?

#2 ·
Header system will only cause CEL's IF O2 sensor wiring gets messed up with faulty wire extensions. Extensions are required due to sensor relocation downstream of headers. If you get an MAF error than that is purely intake related (Radium itself, ?? or wiring/connectivity fault. Why are you selling system?, by the way you live within a few hours of the best Lotus tuning shop in the country, BOE. Contact Phil, he may want to purchase your 2bular headers fro his project car.

#5 · (Edited)
Put your headers on the S while Jim makes two sizes they are close. Also the other exhaust parts can be carried over too.

#6 ·
it's been pretty well documented that the combo of headers and radium are too much for the ECU to handle, and frankly too much to really be accurately tuned out without waaaay to many hours trying to figure out the Radium MAF readings. Details can be found elsewhere on the forum (from Phil with clear documentation.)

Jim at 2bular also ran into this problem and mentions it.

The headers alone will not cause a CEL (if you are properly accounting for the post cat O2 sensor). I drove like this for about 2 weeks before I got my various tunes on the car.

Phil seems pretty confident his intake+the full header system won't trip a CEL without a tune, but I don't think anyone has run that combo sans tune yet to verify.The BOE intake doesn't muck with the MAF like the Radium does.

#7 ·
it's been pretty well documented that the combo of headers and radium are too much for the ECU to handle, and frankly too much to really be accurately tuned out without waaaay to many hours trying to figure out the Radium MAF readings. Details can be found elsewhere on the forum (from Phil with clear documentation.)

Jim at 2bular also ran into this problem and mentions it.

The headers alone will not cause a CEL (if you are properly accounting for the post cat O2 sensor). I drove like this for about 2 weeks before I got my various tunes on the car. .
And Bobsy Racer has been running his 2bular exhaust setup fro a year now without a tune.

Phil seems pretty confident his intake+the full header system won't trip a CEL without a tune, but I don't think anyone has run that combo sans tune yet to verify.The BOE intake doesn't muck with the MAF like the Radium does.
While it is true that BOE never ran the prototype BOE CAI on my car standalone without a tune, we did finish up the header install and complete tuning season, then due to a snow storm that prevented me picking up the car as scheduled, we decided what the hell and developed the CAI, this was first run on the car without any addition prep or tuning, only in interest a squeaking a little smooth power curve did Phil do more tuning. At no time with 12 hrs on the dyno plus road testing nor the year after has my car thrown a CEL.

#9 ·
Your call, It will be better than OEM manifold.

Exhaust Manifold/Headers:
OEM - Runner dia. 37 mm, Collector dia. 45 mm
2bular NA version - R 45 mm, C ?? .. 48% cross section increase
Komo-Tec NA & S - R 48 mm, C 51 mm 68% increase
2bular S version - R 48 mm, C ??

Down pipe:
OEM - 48 mm dia, also used by Komo-Tec
2bular NA & S - 57 mm dia 41 % increase

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.