The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Watkins Glen this week in my 06 Exige. Half way through my first session my check engine light came on. The car was running normal but I stopped to check everything. The only issue I could find was that the snorkel was loose. I used some racers tape to secure it the best I could. I went back out on the track for 5 more twenty minute sessions without incident (except the CEL stayed on). This had happened at Thuderbolt last year and was an emissions code. I have had some other track days this year without any problems.

Now on my sixth session at WOT I hear a bit of a noise like a heavy thump. I get out of the throttle and the engine seems to be running normal. I get back on the throttle and find the shift light coming on at a little over 6k (which I assume is limp mode). I go back to the pits turn the ignition off for a minute and then restart the car. It idles normal so I decide to go around for another lap. It still won't rev past 6k and cuts out like it is hitting the rev limiter. I return to the paddock and didt find anything. I drove it 150 miles home keeping the revs low. When I got home I found that If I rev'd the car to 6k it sounded like a cement mixer with gravel.

Obviously I need to get the codes to help figure out what is going on. My first thought was the infamous 3rd cam. Are the symptoms consistent with that issue? If I pulled the cam cover should I see anything that would help in a diagnosis? What else could be causing this?

It was at least helpful that I could drive the car home. Hopefully I did not do any further damage.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Oil pump failure?

Pull your valve cover, takes 15 minutes.

Are you naturally aspirated?

If it turns out your CEL is the cause of a lean code, you might have much worse troubles, since you now have a gravel sound from your engine.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine noise is only at 6k+. It runs fine under 6k. It is normally aspirated. I pulled the valve cover and haven't found anything unusual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts