The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been diagnosed with moderate connective tissue disorder and some adult arthritis. I'm only 38

My rheumatologist has me on Celebrex. I took it several years ago for about 4 or 5 months, with no noticeable side-effects and considerable relief. I stopped voluntarily.

For the past 6 weeks due to back pain, increased arthritic symptoms, and some fatigue, I asked to be put back on. After 6 weeks, I've been experiencing frequent severe nausea, some upset stomach, and loss of appetite.

I stopped, voluntarily, again this past Sunday to try and isolate the Celebrex. The nausea is continuing. It comes and goes throughout the day.
Yesterday the nausea was pretty severe and I couldn't even make it to work in the a.m.

I found online that the half-life of Celebrex is 11 hours, which equates to 2.5 days until its out of your system completely. It should be out of my system by now, but the nausea continues.

I've been reading more and more about Celebrex online and it's a nasty drug. Liver damage, kidney damage, and risk of heart issues, etc.

I had a liver profile done last week and it came back fine, so I can rule out liver damage.

Other thoughts...

I've also been taking GNC Mega-Men Cardio vitamin packs for about the same time.

I've never had adverse reactions to vitamins in the past.

Luckily I see my rheumatologist again tomorrow for a followup. But I want off the Celebrex. Unfortunately, its the one drug that's provided some relief to my back aches and pains, and my arthritis.

Ugh... :(

·
Registered
640 Posts
Check the package insert that came with the Celebrex, for possible interactions with any componemt of that rip-off vitamin supplement you are taking. Even better, take the vitamin container with you when you visit your rheumotologist tomorrow as he/she will be able to assess for any drug-vitamin interaction.

Is the vitamin supplement prescribed by your GP ? If not, why are you taking it ?
Vitamins are chemicals (some are used as drugs) and therefore can undergo chemical transformations in the body. They can also interfere with the action of any other drugs you are taking. Additionally, vitamins can cause nausea, diarrhea etc. on their own, if taken in high enough doses. Even Vitamin C (which everyone seems to chug like water these days) can cause nausea & diarrhea at doses over 2000mg (commonly exceeded), and is even toxic at higher levels.

I get very irritated by everyone's lackadaisical attitude towards vitamins and other supplements these days. People seem to think they are going to live longer and stay disease free, by ingesting as many supplements as they can, when in reality there is very little scientific evidence (if any) that anything more than the vitamins you get from a balanced diet will help. In my opinion all these vitamin pill poppers are doing is lining the pockets of the nutritional supplement manufacturers, whilst hopefully not causing any long-term detrimental effects to their own body.

The nutritional supplement industry needs to be regulated as tightly as the drug industry is - period.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I've been diagnosed with moderate connective tissue disorder and some adult arthritis. I'm only 38

My rheumatologist has me on Celebrex. I took it several years ago for about 4 or 5 months, with no noticeable side-effects and considerable relief. I stopped voluntarily.

For the past 6 weeks due to back pain, increased arthritic symptoms, and some fatigue, I asked to be put back on. After 6 weeks, I've been experiencing frequent severe nausea, some upset stomach, and loss of appetite.

I stopped, voluntarily, again this past Sunday to try and isolate the Celebrex. The nausea is continuing. It comes and goes throughout the day.
Yesterday the nausea was pretty severe and I couldn't even make it to work in the a.m.

I found online that the half-life of Celebrex is 11 hours, which equates to 2.5 days until its out of your system completely. It should be out of my system by now, but the nausea continues.

I've been reading more and more about Celebrex online and it's a nasty drug. Liver damage, kidney damage, and risk of heart issues, etc.

I had a liver profile done last week and it came back fine, so I can rule out liver damage.

Other thoughts...

I've also been taking GNC Mega-Men Cardio vitamin packs for about the same time.

I've never had adverse reactions to vitamins in the past.

Luckily I see my rheumatologist again tomorrow for a followup. But I want off the Celebrex. Unfortunately, its the one drug that's provided some relief to my back aches and pains, and my arthritis.

Ugh... :(
Here are some over-the-counter drugs that could cause the problem of nausea if taken with Celebrex (Celecoxib is the active ingredient in Celebrex): (highlighting is mine)

Avoid taking other prescription or over-the-counter non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil®), naprosyn (Aleve®), or ketoprofen (Orudis® KT), while taking celecoxib. Side effects including stomach upset, heartburn, nausea, vomiting or serious side effects such as ulcers are more likely if celecoxib is given with other NSAIDs. Many non-prescription products contain NSAIDs; closely read labels before taking any medicines with celecoxib.

Check the package insert that came with the Celebrex, for possible interactions with any componemt of that rip-off vitamin supplement you are taking. Even better, take the vitamin container with you when you visit your rheumotologist tomorrow as he/she will be able to assess for any drug-vitamin interaction.

Is the vitamin supplement prescribed by your GP ? If not, why are you taking it ?
Vitamins are chemicals (some are used as drugs) and therefore can undergo chemical transformations in the body. They can also interfere with the action of any other drugs you are taking. Additionally, vitamins can cause nausea, diarrhea etc. on their own, if taken in high enough doses. Even Vitamin C (which everyone seems to chug like water these days) can cause nausea & diarrhea at doses over 2000mg (commonly exceeded), and is even toxic at higher levels.

I get very irritated by everyone's lackadaisical attitude towards vitamins and other supplements these days. People seem to think they are going to live longer and stay disease free, by ingesting as many supplements as they can, when in reality there is very little scientific evidence (if any) that anything more than the vitamins you get from a balanced diet will help. In my opinion all these vitamin pill poppers are doing is lining the pockets of the nutritional supplement manufacturers, whilst hopefully not causing any long-term detrimental effects to their own body.

The nutritional supplement industry needs to be regulated as tightly as the drug industry is - period.
People have to remember that vitamin supplements are just that supplements they are not substitutes. Eating a balanced diet is really important for good health.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I was taking some medicine for arthritis (dicloenac sodium) and it worked really well, but it screwed up my liver and caused pain in my side, so they switched me to Nabumetone and it works about 50% as well. I also take Tylenlol Arthritis pills as needed.

I had it really bad in my shoulder and my doctor said it looks like I am 80 years old from the looks of it. ( am in my 40's) I have had back pain off and on for the last 20 years on my right shoulder blade, but then I got pains in my arms between the tricep and forearm.

I tried doing reps of 10 sets of curls with an 8 lb weights for about 1/2 hr each day while eatching TV and it started to help with my arms. I now go to the gym at our HOA clubhouse and do about 15 reps on each machine every other day, and it has helped, so that some days, I dont even need to take the medicine.

I agree that the multivitamins may be messing something up. If you have nausea, you might also have kidney stones or gall stones, since I had simillar stomach and back pains and this was the cause. Does the pain move to different spots on you back and side? if so it might be the kidney stone moving.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

I agree with you about vitamins. Even a horrible diet in this day and age gives you more nutrients and vitamins, then even 100 years ago. We get fruit and veggies year round, better meds, etc. Average life expectancy in 1900 49.2 1997 76.5. and those 76 year olds in the 1990's weren't taken suppliments in their youth!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I agree with you about vitamins. Even a horrible diet in this day and age gives you more nutrients and vitamins, then even 100 years ago. We get fruit and veggies year round, better meds, etc. Average life expectancy in 1900 49.2 1997 76.5. and those 76 year olds in the 1990's weren't taken suppliments in their youth!

To be fair, most of those people died from common diseases that are now mostly nonexistant and the infant mortality rate is calculated into that. I agree supplements have gone way overboard, but most people would benefit from a centrum a day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been on Celebrex for many years now, I'm 38 (only take as needed and i only take it until i start feeling normal for a week or so then stop, sounds like you i think).

Just one comment, if your not already acutely aware. TAKE IT WITH FOOD. first time i was on it for a couple months, i didnt take it with food all the time and it damn near burned a hole in my stomach after a while. Nowadays i tolerate it just fine and its a miracle drug.

I hope your nausea goes away. ugh.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI: I was asked by my doctor to take a multi-vitamin for my fatigue.

I've been on both about the same length of time, and I figured I would have been sensitive to the multivitamin early on.

I've stopped both now.

My nausuea is weird... it's more like a punched in the gut kinda of feeling. I don't have to actually vomit, I just have the feeling I need to. Queasy and "punched in the gut" kind of feeling.

Will see what the rheumatologist says.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Have you considered the possibility of an ulcer? That would explain your symptoms and why they haven't gone away immediately after discontinuing the drug, IMO. Celebrex (or just about any NSAID) is really tough on the stomach. Did you usually take it with food? Taking these types of drugs with food is very important.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My wife and 20 yr old son both suffer from back and neck pain that no one has succesfully diagnosed (no disk issues, etc). They have tried various meds with limited succes. Celebrex messes up my wifes stomach and gives her heart palpitaqtions. I'm concerned because my son is on potentially addictive medication (Tramadol, Soma). What other medicine's, treatments, suppliments can be effective for muscle pain?

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
i used to take celebrex.....stopped cause i heard it had too many long term effects.
would take a celebrex and 3 aspirin b4 playing ball.
bye-bye shoulder pain.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
My wife and 20 yr old son both suffer from back and neck pain that no one has succesfully diagnosed (no disk issues, etc). They have tried various meds with limited succes. Celebrex messes up my wifes stomach and gives her heart palpitaqtions. I'm concerned because my son is on potentially addictive medication (Tramadol, Soma). What other medicine's, treatments, suppliments can be effective for muscle pain?
I think it's unlikely your son will become addicted to either. You may want to substitute the Soma with Flexeril as I have never heard of any dependency issues with that one. I take that with Ultram (tramadol) for my neck and my back, but neither one really puts a dent in it since I have a disc issue and, thus, they are more palliative; I'll probably need surgery, I'm putting it off until percutaneous arthroscopic discoplasty is no longer considered experimental.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Those Mega Man vitamin packs contain very high doses and if you dont take them with a lot of food in your stomach they can definitely cause that feeling. No experience with celebrex though, sorry.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Man...cortisone injections for the win. You won't feel ANYTHING after one of those. :D
Been there, done that. I had some improvement, but it wasn't permanent or complete.

The problem in his case is that the etiology of their pain is unknown. If it's not caused by some form of inflammation (obviously suspected due to prescription of Celebrex), cortisone injections won't really do anything. Then one still needs to know where the inflammation is.

Pestodude: Has your wife been given a Medrol (methylprednisolone) DosePak yet? It didn't help me, but it is a shot at resolving inflammation systemically.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OKAY. My rheumatologist is an idiot. No more visiting this guy. I tell him that I've had severe nausea and stomach cramps on the Celebrex. He scratches his head and says. "that's unusual, Celebrex shouldn't do that". Ummm google Celebrex side-effects dude... it's the #1 side effect. So he prescribes be Mobic instead. Same dealio with that as far as my GI, but worse.

So I finally visit a neurologist today (sees my mother and wife as well). In five minutes he figures out all my nerve issues causing my leg pains, cramps, numbness, etc. Reevaluates my MRI (taken by my orthopedic surgeon) and discovers more spinal issues in my lower back that the radiologist that interpreted the MRI's didn't pick up.

After he figures out which nerve, be pokes me in 4 different places (two on my back, one on my hip, and one on my groin, that hurt like heck). Does some poking tests and muscle strength tests and I have definite weakness in my right leg.

He is surprised I had been prescribed Celebrex and Mobic due to the fact that I have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and I'm already on Protonix for reflux.

Instead, he gives me a transdermal patch to place on my back in the exact point it hurts. This will transmit anti-inflammatory meds straight to the muscles and joints and bypass the stomach.

Since I am allergic to opiate-based pain killers, he placed my on Ultram for the chronic pain.

He also conducted an EMG (electromyograph) and did some testing on my nerves to determine where I have nerve damage. Oh what fun that was. I walked in the room and joked about arriving for my "shock therapy" and she tells me I wasn't too far off. She wasn't kidding. Interestign study, but definite nerve damage in my right leg.

And the doctor writes me a script for a Wii Fit! (not that insurance will cover it), but says it's good for working the balance and coordination in my leg.

So we'll see how I do.

Thanks all for the info.

P.S. I turned 38 yesterday, and I feel like I'm going on 60. I'm falling apart. Ugh!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Guys, do you realize that Mobic and Cellebrex are Cox 2 inhibitors? That`s the same product as Vioxx which was taken off the market due to the discovery that it causes sudden heart attacks. Your med. pract. probably knows this, but does not consider it an issue (????). Although there are no major studies showing that vitamins could be of major help, at least there are no studies that demonstrate that they are particularly harmful (in the general doses taken by the public). The best support in the literature for the management of musculoskeletal pain is manual therapy in combination with an exercise program and weight loss (good if you own a Lotus). There are no short cuts (including fancy spinal surgical proceedures), just correct management and time. Currently the studies demonstrate that Paracetamol is just as effective as any NASAID, you might want to give that a go for pain management until you find the correct Practitioner. Aleast it is relatively safe to take.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts