The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been goin around the net the last few days, but I haven't seen it here, so here goes.

Cliff notes:

Guy from Tamparacing forums gets his celica to a shop. Gets $16k worth of custom work done to it. Tries to more or less steal the car back WITHOUT paying

Shop posts this on the forum and is now attempting mechanic's lein

From the owner of the shop:

"I have been working on Joe Dono's car for approximately 4 1/2 months.

The car was completely redone. Complete repaint including engine bay and pulling all glass and seals, smoothing out the interior panels and two toning them, building a custom sub enclosure and covering it in carbon fiber, custom amp racks and nitrous bottle brackets, carbon overlays on the roof and hatch, turbo install, e-manage install, custom fiberglass center console to mount gauges in, just a lot of work in general.

He showed up to pick his car up yesterday, Saturday August 9th, and was apparently planning on stealing his car without paying for anything.

His mother, who actually is the one financing his car, was under the impression that he had paid for materials and that he had "sponsors" that were paying us to do the labor. She wanted to know why the car was taking so long because Joe had told her it was just getting painted. He barely covered material cost and was promising to bring the very large balance in cash when the car was picked up.

I'm really not sure what was going through his head thinking he was going to get the car completely modified and knowing he has NO money to pay for it.

His girlfriend offered us $60 and wanted to know if we could set-up a payment plan. SERIOUSLY? His bill is close to $16K and he wants a payment plan.

I'm sure plenty of you have either dealt with him or heard about him. He's a detailer by trade but apparently he has no self-worth and has no problem lying and deceiving anyone and everyone.

Please feel free to chime in. His car will be for sale shortly, just need to wait on that mechanic's lien to go through."

Watch the Drama unfold (75 pages and growing)

Here's the link: www.joedono.info

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't understand how the shop wouldn't have some kind of payment guarantee, installments made while the job was ongoing, or at least downpayment before working on the car.

The dude is obviously a wacko but the shop owner seems like a fool.

-eek-

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
He should have just come clean and said he didn't have the money yet and he'd work his ass off to get it while the mechanic kept the car. But given the way he BSed his mom, he probably had no intention of paying at all.

But how old is the kid? If he's reasonably under aged (say 16 or 17) there are a host of contract issues that come up, but ultimately it could be ruled that his mother, the owner of the car, received benefits from the shop and the shop should be reimbursed even if she didn't specifically hire them. It becomes very sticky if he's under aged.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
From skimming the thread the "kid" is either 19 or 20, and he's known on other import boards as a scammer who has stolen thousands of dollars through fake ads, multiple screen names, etc. and been arrested at least once because of it.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Extremely interesting dillema. The real owner didn't authorize the work. It's not a repair, so it's possible it doesn't fall under any state statutes. The shop didn't get a contract. The kid could say they were suppose to do $3,000 worth of work. I think the shop bears a lot of the risk. This kid is a real piece of work. The shop didn't deserve this, but I think they are in more trouble then the kid.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Extremely interesting dillema. The real owner didn't authorize the work. It's not a repair, so it's possible it doesn't fall under any state statutes. The shop didn't get a contract. The kid could say they were suppose to do $3,000 worth of work. I think the shop bears a lot of the risk. This kid is a real piece of work. The shop didn't deserve this, but I think they are in more trouble then the kid.
you have some valid points...the same things entered my mind as i skimmed through the first 6-7 pages.
and abt his mechanics lien, the owner thinks he has precedence over the bank.
he doesnt. (im pretty sure, but not 100%.)
its a mess to say the least and will be interesting to see how it plays out.
from what i understand, the car is an inch away from being re-po'ed.
id like to see some video of that.
:)

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Quasi contract could be enforced since the owner is receiving enrichment, but that is debatable as well because who is to say all that crap on the car is actually beneficial? For example, the turbo? Is that even legal in FLA? That in itself could make quasi contract not an option since the work was illegal and actually provides no benefit.

In the end, assuming lawyers are involved, I think the two sides will work out a deal and the shop owner will get paid a portion of his job's worth.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Quasi contract could be enforced since the owner is receiving enrichment, but that is debatable as well because who is to say all that crap on the car is actually beneficial? For example, the turbo? Is that even legal in FLA? That in itself could make quasi contract not an option since the work was illegal and actually provides no benefit.

In the end, assuming lawyers are involved, I think the two sides will work out a deal and the shop owner will get paid a portion of his job's worth.
not sure abt that....
even the lien might not hold water....
the lien is on a car that the person who ordered and directed the work doesnt even own it.
i think the shop guy might have to give the car back eventually because of that and have to sue the kid, which is pointless because he has no money.
the kid is a fraud.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
What a dirtbag. He should be brought out back behind the shed and whipped with a rubber hose.

·
Banned
874 Posts
what a dumb kid...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Why even bother spending $16K on a damn celica?!
many people spend more on lesser cars, I have always found that funny...

by the time your done with that Celica you could have gotten a proper sports car.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
1 - 20 of 52 Posts