The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone’s found a decent phone mount for the Esprit? My ‘91 is arriving today and I’d like to have the ability to use my phone for GPS. At some point I’ll probably have a flip up touchscreen single DIN radio with Apple CarPlay installed, but for now I need a decent mount.

I’ve used Proclip USA mounts for years in all of my vehicles. Unfortunately they don’t have an option for the Esprit. Looks like most owners use a windshield mounted holder. Is that pretty much my only option?

Eric

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Pretty much. The phone needs to be able to get the satellite signal and it also needs to be in your field of view while you are driving to use the navigation so a windscreen mount is the best option. I use a separate nav unit, not the phone, and I use the glass mount. Another option could be replacing the radio with a unit that has nav with an external antennae but that's expensive, especially for a car that most of us don't use as a daily driver. On the plus side you can also get sat radio with nav and Bluetooth so you can use the phone hands free.
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,850 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ended up installing the Pioneer SPH-10BT in my '98 Esprit, which is a single DIN stereo with a built in cell phone holder. (I never found any single DIN radios with CarPlay.) I've been pretty happy with the Pioneer. The cell phone mount is PERFECT --- it's at a perfect height, it swivels easily, and it doesn't block the air vents (which is crucial here in Texas). The media interface for the stereo is ok; it will play radio, or stream from an app or bluetooth, but you have to have the app open for that to work because the Pioneer app will not open Spotify or Amazon Music or other music apps. For maps, though, it works really well because it has a dedicated map button that will launch Waze or Google Maps. Like you, I cared most about maps -- I hate getting stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic in the Esprit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(I never found any single DIN radios with CarPlay.)
I was actually looking at the single DIN receivers with the flip up screens like this one: Pioneer AVH-3500NEX DVD receiver at Crutchfield

They come with CarPlay and the Android version of that technology and you can plug backup cameras into them which definitely wouldn’t hurt the Esprit’s rearward visibility!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I installed the Pioneer AVH-3500NEX last year, upgrading from a previous model.
To use Apple Carplay, the phone has to be attached to the head unit via a USB connection. Luckily this connection is at the back of the unit, so my USB wire runs underneath the arm rest from the console unit. I then drilled a hole in the base of the 'stuff holder' below my rear window.
I can connect my phone and still have it tucked out of sight.
The Carplay function allows me to use Waze or any other GPS app :)
Also, this Pioneer unit is connect to a rear camera I have setup, which I could not imagine being without. It covers pretty much all the bases.
The screen flips out without issue and works really well in the car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I installed a AVH-3500NEX in my 97 V8 (S4/S4s interior). Unfortunately the flip-up does not clear the binnacle, so I have to use it with screen put away. I can still command CarPlay using Siri. Check clearance on your car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed a AVH-3500NEX in my 97 V8 (S4/S4s interior). Unfortunately the flip-up does not clear the binnacle, so I have to use it with screen put away. I can still command CarPlay using Siri. Check clearance on your car.
Yeah I was wondering about that. Local shop told me they have single DIN spacers that can be installed behind the unit to bring it out from the dash enough to clear the binnacle. You just need to make sure you still have enough room for the shifter to easily go into 1st, 3rd, and 5th without interfering with the screen. You might want to check around with some local installers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up coming up with a solution that I‘m pretty happy with. I’m so used to having cigarette lighters and power ports somewhere in the center console that I figured getting power to whatever mount I found would be a big PITA. However the solution ended up working out really well. It’s just a small, inexpensive magnetic mount stuck to the door‘s wing window. Being right handed it took a bit of getting used to but it’s unobtrusive, easy to see at a glance, and worked out quite nicely. The magnet is strong enough that I can close the door with the phone on the mount and it doesn’t fall off. Here are some photos and the links to the mount and power cable I bought from Amazon...

2F5C6BEA-9A15-4BA9-BEBC-94D93A0A0EC6.jpeg 4265C007-8105-4D84-88FE-3116EDE8F814.jpeg

Mount: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2K4LCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Power cable: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZM2VTG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
164 Posts
I ended up coming up with a solution that I‘m pretty happy with. I’m so used to having cigarette lighters and power ports somewhere in the center console that I figured getting power to whatever mount I found would be a big PITA. However the solution ended up working out really well. It’s just a small, inexpensive magnetic mount stuck to the door‘s wing window. Being right handed it took a bit of getting used to but it’s unobtrusive, easy to see at a glance, and worked out quite nicely. The magnet is strong enough that I can close the door with the phone on the mount and it doesn’t fall off. Here are some photos and the links to the mount and power cable I bought from Amazon...

View attachment 1267656 View attachment 1267657

Mount: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2K4LCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Power cable: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZM2VTG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Looks like a nice setup. My personal preference is to use a dedicated GPS so when driving the phone resides in its slot in this handy cup holder (Amazon source as I recall). My PO thoughtfully installed an upgraded Alpine radio with Bluetooth, which works well for phone use.

I use vent mount for the GPS and a cigarette lighter port power unit with dual USB to power the GPS and charge the phone concurrently. The power supply also has volts and ambient (interior) temp readout. Advantages I like:

-No rings on the glass
-No falling off at inopportune moments
-Positioning is pretty much ideal for operating and viewing the GPS
-Wires are easily tucked neatly away

Note: the radio USB will charge the phone but doesn't have enough power for the GPS. That dual power supply will crank out over 1 amp, easily powers both simultaneously, and will charge the phone much quicker.

Reactions: carbuff

·
Registered
132 Posts
I installed the Pioneer AVH 3500 NEX in my '98. It fits perfectly. I routed the USB cable through the arm rest tunnel and drilled a small hole in the base of the 'crap holder' by my shoulder. I can then plug my phone in and leave it in the holder, with no wires showing.
Having WAZE on the screen, plus my radar detector working, keeps the playing field quite even!!!
Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
I installed the Pioneer AVH 3500 NEX in my '98. It fits perfectly. I routed the USB cable through the arm rest tunnel and drilled a small hole in the base of the 'crap holder' by my shoulder. I can then plug my phone in and leave it in the holder, with no wires showing.
Having WAZE on the screen, plus my radar detector working, keeps the playing field quite even!!!
Adam
Sweet. Nice touch with the FE climate controls and shift knob.

How involved of a procedure is it to install that shift knob? Any mods needed to the shift lever? I like the idea of it shortening the throw a bit.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I originally ordered a new gearknob from PNM in the UK. When it arrived, it didn't fit :(
The one installed on the photos was from Claudius in CA. I sent them my gearstick and they press fit the new knob to it. Once installed, I applied the Lotus emblem to the gearknob. (there is a recess drilled into the knob so it sits flush)
Took about a week to get the gearstick back from them. Very impressed with the quality. Feels so much better than the leather Renault rubbish.
Also, I've had zero issues with the gearknob itself getting hot in the sun. I know a few posters on here have mentioned it, but I found it to be a moot point.
Adam

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nice. My stock aluminum shift knob does get quite warm if the car sits in the sun but it's no issue, cools off quickly with the AC running. In cold weather it's actually a nice "feature." 😉

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Adam
Looks good. Unfortunately this won’t work in the 4 cyl dash without some sort of heavy modification. The screen can’t open all the way due to the overhanging instrument binnacle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looks good. Unfortunately this won’t work in the 4 cyl dash without some sort of heavy modification. The screen can’t open all the way due to the overhanging instrument binnacle.
One more reason to buy the later V8....LOL, just kidding!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts