The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a couple threads that people have posted on getting your center caps to stay on... after driving my car around for a couple months last summer, I lost 2 out of the 4 center caps. Well, I just bought a couple more for way too much from BWR and want to make sure I don't lose them again.

I saw a couple suggestions from silicon to electrical tape. I kind of like the idea of electrical tape because its super easy, cheap, and non-permanent... but at the same time that makes it easier for some dumb kiddo to steal center caps.

Do any of you guys have much experience with people taking the "Lotus" center caps?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i think here in NH - more of an experience with them falling off the car, rather than a problem with theft. I used silicone on one cap that felt a bit loose to drive with.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Mine must be sucking, since they don't seem to fall off. Yours must be blowing.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
My centre caps have stayed on. They also have never been stolen.

I did lose one or two valve caps to theft. But those I picked up on eBay for only a few dollars. Maybe if you add some Lotus-logo'd valve caps people will leave your centre caps alone.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do think they just fell off, not because of theft, I'm just not sure if I want them to be "glued" on. Hmmm... decisions...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
just don't use J-B weld.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I've lost three in seven years from two Elises and four sets of wheels, not a bad average. I leave them on for track days and haven't lost any there. :)

I had the first set on my 2005 fade to yellow and a green triangle, that's four out of four. :(

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Use JB weld!

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I just finished machining the rings which petersracing came up with for my two sets of LSS wheels:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/keeping-wheel-center-caps-113717/

I haven't permanently installed them yet since the car is still in winter storage.
But what I found interesting during the process was that each wheel and each center cap have different dimensions, sometimes varying as much as almost 1mm from one to the other. No wonder they fall off all the time.

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
Never had any stolen ... :thwack:

Never lost any... :clap:

Tried electrical tape on some loose ones ... but now I use a small dab of silicone on each 'prong' on the cap. :up:

...and I change tires all the time ... they pop right off ...I clean'm a bit ... and repeat. :cool:

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,423 Posts
I’ve lost one. I should have known it wasn’t going to stay on as it was a colder day and I knew it was loose prior to driving, the replace one fits very snug for now though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Electrical tape worked for me...just doesn't keep anyone from taking them if they really wanted them. Didn't want to risk losing them on track days so I have taken mine off and now sit in a drawer.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Don't the center caps have to be removed when mounting tires?

Years ago I glued my center caps in and the tire shop had to bust them out when I got new tires...

·
hello
295 Posts
Don't the center caps have to be removed when mounting tires?

Years ago I glued my center caps in and the tire shop had to bust them out when I got new tires...
Same thing happened to me. The tire shop had to pop the cap out. Luckily, I did not use glue, but a piece of duck tape from the inside to hold it there.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Center whl caps

Hey guys I never had anybody steal my center caps or any fall off. And I got a extra set from one of the European parts sources and the caps are almost flush so very hard for someone to pop one off w/o a knife and they haven't fallen off in 7yrs. And they look better in my opinon.

:UK:

Attachments

·
Cal H
982 Posts
small dabs of silicone and you can cut or scrape the silicone away easily to remove
I have an esprit so the caps mount from the inside of the wheel so they can't fall off.
Kids used to steal valve caps for their bikes until I got locking ones that free spin without the tool.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hey guys I never had anybody steal my center caps or any fall off. And I got a extra set from one of the European parts sources and the caps are almost flush so very hard for someone to pop one off w/o a knife and they haven't fallen off in 7yrs. And they look better in my opinon.

:UK:
Those look fantastic. Where can I get them? Also, why has no one made these out of aluminum yet?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts